• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Has anyone played Invokers?

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I would think Half-Elves would rock too... take that Half-Elf versatility feat to make the dilettante power into an at-will, have 3 class's at-wills?
Taking an extra feat to get there -- (and having one fewer feat to begin with) but that is cool. Im not that impressed with group diplomacy.. is that a Naruto power?

Actually he doesnt enhance diplomacy he seems to enable significant npcs and some minions to operate as heros at least temporarily (inspiring warlord trick)?

Last edited:

jgsugden

Legend
Personally, I think the Invoker is one of the best new things in 4E.

The divine controller really hasn't been done well in D&D until 4E. the cleric and druid both had some 'controllerish' aspects to them in the past, but neither felt like the 'biblical' holy man that called down the wrath of the Gods. The Invoker fits this archetype to a T, and does it in an extremely fun way.

First, I like the imagery of the class. The idea of laying foes down with divine wrath - dropping thunder and lightning from the Heavens, is fun. Powers like 'Rain of Blood' and 'Summon Blade Angel' give it a real specific feel.

Second, I like the strategic implications of the Covenant of Wrath. Figuring out how to maximize the bonus damage is challenging and interesting.

Third, I like the idea of a controller with a minor in striker. That is a nice combination that can be very effective in a lot of different ways.

My dwarf wrath invoker is a blast. He is being revised to incorporate Divine Power and he'll be even more fun when all of that is worked in. I really enjoyed playing him for a few levels with melee training and dwarven weapon training to allow him to charge into the thick of battle and then Action Point out a close blast or close burst power...

-Avalon-

First Post
Well, the character I am going with is around because my old character died. I am running this as Devas don't die per se, they "evolve" or just change, like caterpillars do with cocoons. Only, death is the cocoon. My Deva has died twice, and each time has become something more faithful, and more fanatic about his Deity.

Last time, he was an avenger, now an Invoker.

Deva Invoker(preserver)/Favored Soul/Radiant One

here is the basic run-down on feats/Powers:
Invoker: Ritual Caster
1: Battle Intuition
2: Hero of Faith
4: Focused Expertise (staff)
6: Retrained - Robust Defenses
8: Acolyte Power
10: Adept Power
11: Resounding Thunder
12: Mark of Storm
14: Echoes of Thunder
16: Weapon Focus (Staff)
18: Lightning Arc
20: Epic Will
21: Epic Reflexes
22: Epic Fortitude
24: Invoked Devastation

At-Wills:
Vanguard's Lightning
Divine Bolts

Encounters:
Forceful Denunciation
Thunderbolt of the Heavens
Radiant Push
Storm of Celestia

Dailies:
Celestial Skirmish
Renewing Strike
Anthem of the First Dawn

Utilities:
Shroud of Warning
Astral Step
Ever Onward
Wings of Angels
Pennant of Heavens Armies
Ward of Divine Light

Other than that, several items that give teleport fun-ness: Mithrendain Sickle, Rings of Dimensional Escape, Fey Warrior's Boots, Bracers of Escape, etc... Also have Staff of Ruin for invoker implement, and holy symbol of unified defense for avenger implement (and more items)

Any suggestions? Look ok?

Pour

First Post
Of the mind the Invoker could better reflect a witch nature, as mentioned above, I multiclassed Invoker on a Druid. I'm pretty early on in the process (only level 5) but so far so good. Both Druid and Invoker use staves as implements, both need high Wisdom, and for my first multiclass feat I got to train Religion (she is a sea witch of a sea goddess) and pick up Visions of Blood at an encounter (which isn't bad when I need another close blast). I'm going to continue taking the multiclass and see where it leads me.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
The Avenger tendencies towards really big 2h weapons ... would be countered by wanting the implement staff in his offhand.
I don't think anyone could claim Gandalf was played by a powergamer.

He turned down the best magic item in the game books.

Cheers, -- N

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I don't think anyone could claim Gandalf was played by a powergamer.

He turned down the best magic item in the game books.

Cheers, -- N

heheh cool beans..heck he turned down Palantirs too. ... lots of anti-power gaming going on (aka wisdom and not wanting to become a monster).

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Of the mind the Invoker could better reflect a witch nature, as mentioned above, I multiclassed Invoker on a Druid. I'm pretty early on in the process (only level 5) but so far so good. Both Druid and Invoker use staves as implements, both need high Wisdom, and for my first multiclass feat I got to train Religion (she is a sea witch of a sea goddess) and pick up Visions of Blood at an encounter (which isn't bad when I need another close blast). I'm going to continue taking the multiclass and see where it leads me.

This Witch - Holy Wonder Worker dicotomy is ummmm perfect, it fits nicely with real world myth and magic in ways that wizards just don't.

Dr_Sage

First Post
My gamming group has an very original invoker: He is a Preserver Invoker of Ioun.

He is a wizard-like old man and speciallyzes in knowlodge.

In combat his presense means unexpected penaities for the bad guys, and the players is very happy, both roleplay-wise and tactically.

Mr. Teapot

First Post
3: Feats that are invoker specific (with the exception of a 2 or 3) appear to all support only the channel divinity power that they get depending on their path. I don't think it is a good idea to build several feat choices on a character around a single power that you can only use once per encounter.

So? There are enough Domain and Channel Divinity feats and racial feats and multiclass and generic feats to fill out my Invoker's wishlist of feats well into Paragon tier before I start worrying about Invoker specific ones.

Invokers are really good: they're fun to play and do their controlling job very well. But they don't require a lot of effort to get going, nor can they be monstrously overpowered, and they're in a supplement instead of the PHB1. So they receive somewhat less online discussion than wizards get. But my invoker experiences so far (a one shot preserver and a wrathful one from level 1 to 3) have been lots of fun, and felt like they did their job well.

Remove ads