Has the phrase "Jumped the shark" jumped the shark?

Gnarlo

Gnome Lover
Supporter
BiggusGeekus said:
This thread has jumped the shark. I hear the next thread is going to be a musical.

Yep, but due to contractual problems, Joshua will be replaced by a robot dog.

Vocenoctum

First Post
stevelabny said:
http://www.jumptheshark.com/about.htm

Straight from the shark's mouth.
The meaning? The exact moment when something goes from being cool to sucking. It stems from the infamous Happy Days episode where Fonzie (the epitome of cool) actually JUMPED THE SHARK (on water skis). Rumor has it, the show was never the same again. (Not being a Happy Days fan, I'll assume Mork from Ork came AFTER this)

I think the phrase has always been blah. It's like Ace Ventura's "alrighty then!" it was soo done before it started. :)

Funniest part of the saying? If you look at the website, Happy Days didn't "jump the shark" when he jumped the shark... :)

KnowTheToe

First Post
Blah blah blah

Joanie was not hot, at least not before the beer goggles go on.

JTS as cool people refer to it as is as hip as "Speak to the Hand"

Can we say the dictionary has jumped the shark? McJob??? How the heck is that a word.

Apocalyptic Kitty

First Post
Society jumped that shark in the 80's. Ever since then its been on life support and it's time to pull the proverbial plug.

And for the record, how could anyone think that someone with as much hair as Joanie isn't hot? I could build a nest in that hair and nap for months.

Sirius_Black

First Post
Apocalyptic Kitty said:
Society jumped that shark in the 80's. Ever since then its been on life support and it's time to pull the proverbial plug.

Nothing has been the same since Sean Penn and Madonna broke up. Oh the heartache...oh the pain. :(

Uzumaki

First Post
The phrase has been used and abused. Someone call a social worker. People whip it out now when they watch their favorite show and the wind up not liking the episode. I don't think the phrase can be accurately applied while the show in question is still running, or at least until there is a repeated noticable dip in quality.

Remove ads