• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hasbro CEO: "D&D is Really on a Tear"

Sorry, that laugh was a result of clumsy fingers on my phone.

Blackbird71

First Post
What does "on a tear" mean? Aren't tears bad?

All right you young whippersnappers; since no one seems to quite get the meaning of this, I guess I'm going to have to step in.

As some have pointed out, "on a tear" is a good thing, but no one else seems to quite understand why. Another meaning of the word "tear" (rhyming with "air", not the stuff that comes from your eyes) has to do with speed - in older times it was usually used to describe running, etc. I still hear a variation of this used occasionally nowadays, such as when it is said that a car "tore" out of a parking lot, etc. Dictionary.com gives the definition "to move or behave with force, violent haste, or energy".

The phrase "on a tear" is based on this definition. It is used to imply that something is taking off with speed or gaining momentum. Saying that D&D is "on a tear" implies that it is selling rapidly.

And now you know.

Wicht

Hero
All right you young whippersnappers; since no one seems to quite get the meaning of this, I guess I'm going to have to step in.

As some have pointed out, "on a tear" is a good thing, but no one else seems to quite understand why. Another meaning of the word "tear" (rhyming with "air", not the stuff that comes from your eyes) has to do with speed - in older times it was usually used to describe running, etc.

From page 3....

More specifically, I am pretty sure it refers to a mad, sometimes violent, rush. Originally it did mean attacking without restraint or caution, but over time the concept of speed was added onto the original implication so that a vehicle can also be said to be going at a tear. Which just means it is going really fast, without any implication of violence. In the context of the original quote in this thread, success of sales is what is implied, not necessarily the destruction of the "enemy."

:p

Halivar

First Post
It's similar to a sports car "tearing down the highway". Which is different than a bulldozer "tearing down the highway." Clear as mud, right?
Which is different than "tarrying" down the highway, which the seven NPC's are most decidedly not doing, neither are they running, joking loudly, or singing as they advance.

aramis erak

Legend
Which makes me imagine for a moment that just as there's a crew of 7 managing the D&D brand I now wonder if somewhere in Hasbro's corporate HQ there's a 7-man team working on the best way they can leverage Candy Land into a juggernaut, all the while glaring out the window in Renton's direction, grimacing in anger at the new high bar that has been set for ALL Hasbro titles this quarter.

Milton Bradley is listed at http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company-histories/milton-bradley-company-history/ as having 2000 employees or so. So, maybe. Noting that MB is a different subsidiary of HasBro...

Remove ads

Remove ads