WotC Hasbro CEO optimistic about AI in D&D and MTG’s future

Yaarel

He Mage
With regard to AI such as ChatGPT, the "hallucination" rate of false information is roughly 20%.

(LOL, when googling the question, the Google AI itself hallucinated asserting that its hallucinations were only "3%".)

This means that relying on it for anything important is worthless.

It also means that one must already be knowledgeable about the subject matter to gain any benefit from it.

Of course, the accuracy and precision will continue to improve each year. But, be cautious!

mamba

Legend
Heh, in my uses of ChatGPT when trying to use it for factual stuff, after questioning it, it often ends up apologizing for misinformation.
after you corner it and point out where and how it is wrong. The problem is it tried to BS you before instead of being honest and saying something akin to 'I do not know' or 'I need more information first'

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Historical settings intentionally model history.

I use a mythologically accurate Viking Period as regional setting in several worlds.

During this time period, the Norse explorers cover about half the planet. The Viking setting includes very many ethnicities. But it still helps the feel of the setting to keep track of frequencies, and which ethnicities are more typical in which regions.

If there is a Viking in India, it can plausibly happen, and viceversa, but is remarkable. Norse texts dont mention reaching India, but do mention it by name, and come across the traderoutes leading there.
Our understanding of history is always changing as we make more finds and learn more. It's always more complex than it appears.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Then you are using a particular definition of the word message, which I would say is pretty different than the common usage. I’ll re-evaluate your previous comments in light of this definition.

I agree, not every story is about trying to persuade their audience of something.

Here, I don’t think my overall argument changes. Good stories are about something - sometimes they’re about persuading the audience, sometimes they’re about other things. Regardless, the quality of the story can’t be meaningfully separated from what the story is about. A story with a message, as you define it, would be bland if it focused on the message to the exclusion of its narrative, and it would be bland if it focused on the narrative to the exclusion of its message. Both need to be working in tandem to create a quality work. Likewise, if the story is about something other than persuading the audience, the narrative and the… let’s go with “theme” since we’re using the word “message” in a particular way… The theme and the narrative need to be working in tandem, and if either is focused on to the exclusion of the other, the result is likely to be bland.
I quite agree. I suppose I feel some material in recent years has been more about the message than the narrative, and I prefer more of a balance as I find such material more bland, even if I agree with the message, because the message isn't the main reason I'm here.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Folks who are defending "legitimate" uses of generative AI or lumping it in with all AI, as though it's inevitable
It is inevitable. It is already used in so many things most of us are not even aware of in everyday life. It's here. It's not a fad, it's not like NFTs or Crypto currency, it's not even about images as a primary thing. Heck, it's not even all that much about text. It's being used in thousands of different applications already.

This very message board software, vBulletin, uses AI. You can see it right on the front page of vBulletins webpage.

Every search you do with a search engine uses AI.

The alt-text for images in web pages is slowly being generated automatically now by AI (which I welcome).

Almost every customer service number you call these days begins with AI.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
With regard to rising sea levels, the latest sober science (2023) establishes that the global sea level is rising about 1 inch every 8 years.

This is from NOAA (US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration). NOAA is responsible for the lives of millions of people, in the context of hurricanes and so on. It must neither underestimate the risk to life, nor indulge exaggerations that disrupt the livelihood of millions.

This amount of rising sea level is concerning because of regional complications, such as lack of drainage whence storm floods.

However, 1 inch per 8 years is a far cry from the very many alarmist predictions about rising sea levels made in previous years that have now been demonstrated to be false.
Mod Note:

Thanks for not listening. You’re done.

It is inevitable. It is already used in so many things most of us are not even aware of in everyday life. It's here. It's not a fad, it's not like NFTs or Crypto currency, it's not even about images as a primary thing. Heck, it's not even all that much about text. It's being used in thousands of different applications already.

This very message board software, vBulletin, uses AI. You can see it right on the front page of vBulletins webpage.

Every search you do with a search engine uses AI.

The alt-text for images in web pages is slowly being generated automatically now by AI (which I welcome).

Almost every customer service number you call these days begins with AI.

You fully misread what I wrote. The entire point of what you snipped was that people are making a huge error in lumping gen AI with AI, and therefore assuming that gen AI is just as inevitable as AI as a larger category of technology was/is. You're making my point for me here, in presenting the subcategory of text-to-image generators and LLMs as a general sign of unstoppable progress. They aren't. They and the people who use them can still be rightfully shamed and blamed. Again, like with NFTs.

Remove ads