• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC Hasbro CEO optimistic about AI in D&D and MTG’s future

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
So instead the CEO should go on record about how great he thinks AI is? That lesser controversy?
Hey Micah, I am tired of you doing what you just did.

I am tired of you strawmanning things I say like that. You knew I never said or implied anything about greater or lesser controversies, or what they should or should not do. You knew I was saying anything they say will be spun as negative to foment controversy even if there was none, because I said that in pretty plain language and never said what you just claimed I did. And instead of choosing to reply to what I said, you chose to make up an argument I never made by implication and reply to that fictional argument.

Please stop doing that. It's rude. If you have a reply to my position, make it. Don't pretend my position is something different than it is.

Mistwell

I mean I guess if we are honest with ourselves, sure someone can always find that negative angle if they want. There are points however where that crosses over the line into "I reject your reality and substitute my own." kind of irrationality, and while thats all the rage in the 2020's, we thankfully can ignore those folks as deranged.

Not all criticism is valid, and thats coming from someone with a ton of irrationally biased takes. :ROFLMAO:
Agreed. It's why I said it's all getting lumped into noise because too many are objecting to everything WOTC says or does no matter what they say or do. Even the legit criticism is getting lumped in with the irrational criticism that's being done for attention (and sometimes clicks). So while we can ignore the deranged, it's more likely many ignore all the criticisms as just one category. I wouldn't at all be surprised if some at WOTC are getting to that point.

If you complain about literally everything, you're complaining about nothing because now you're background noise.

Similar, if you praise nothing, you're not the target audience anyway and were already not buying their stuff but were probably just promoting someone else's stuff. So you're now background noise.

I worry we're getting to the point where the background noise is drowning out all honest attempts at improvements.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Hey Micah, I am tired of you doing what you just did.

I am tired of you strawmanning things I say like that. You knew I never said or implied anything about greater or lesser controversies, or what they should or should not do. You knew I was saying anything they say will be spun as negative to foment controversy even if there was none, because I said that in pretty plain language and never said what you just claimed I did. And instead of choosing to reply to what I said, you chose to make up an argument I never made by implication and reply to that fictional argument.

Please stop doing that. It's rude. If you have a reply to my position, make it. Don't pretend my position is something different than it is.
Fair enough. I apologize.

It was a pointless post on Twitter for example cause most people didn’t bother reading the article and just made naughty word up instead.

Like “how dare he support AI art” when AI art is not even mentioned and has nothing to do with the AI stuff he is talking about.

Mistwell

This is simply not true, and more insidiously, suggests that controversy of any kind is equivalent.

First if you're going to claim something is false you should support that claim. Every example I just gave were real examples from the past year of things WOTC has done and responses they got from some elements on the net. I stand by what I said - some people will spin anything WOTC says or does as negative, no matter what it is.

Second I didn't say all controversy is equivalent. I didn't imply that either. What I said is it's all becoming noise.

It would be "controversial" if WotC released a Time Traveler class that fights with unique access to ray guns, and that entire discussion would be of significantly less significance than the use of AI artwork, or the presentation of race or gender in a new product.

Now you're making judgement calls as if what you view as important is universal.

It would be "of significantly less significance"? That's....OK you can't have a username of "Pedantic" and type that sentence.

But on a less silly note, says who? If too many people complain too often about literally everything, eventually it all gets lumped into "just noise" and all criticism is ignored.

Last edited:

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
can I prove that they worked together, no, maybe WotC could have if they had enough incentive to and drag the guy to court

Since it got settled we won’t know. As far as I am concerned he was uncooperative and that is why someone was sent over. The whole thing could have been avoided by him, so I am not all that sympathetic to his ‘plight’
You could make the same argument about someone who gets shot by a mugger. The mugger would have exactly the same right to the property of the person they’re mugging as WotC had to that guy’s cards.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
First if you're going to claim something is false you should support that claim. Every example I just gave were real examples from the past year of things WOTC has done and responses they got from some elements on the net. I stand by what I said - some people will spin anything WOTC says or does as negative, no matter what it is.

Second I didn't say all controversy is equivalent. I didn't imply that either. What I said is it's all becoming noise.

Now you're making judgement calls as if what you view as important is universal.

It would be "of significantly less significance"? That's....OK you can't have a username of "Pedantic" and type that sentence.

But on a less silly note, says who? I guarantee in optimization circles there would be a lot more controversy about such a class than about AI artwork. A lot of people, believe it or not, really don't care about AI artwork or actually like it. I am not one of them, but I know several who genuinely like AI artwork and are entirely unconvinced it's problematic in any way.

Similarly I truly do not care about presentation of race or gender in new products. Truly, I will roll with whatever they go with on those topics and just make it my own if I have any issues. And almost none of the dozen other players I game with would blink about any of the likely choices they could make on those topics. Call it race, species, lineage, whatever. I am not going to care. Use the male pronoun as a generic, use the female pronoun as the generic, use they/them as the generic, I will not care. Almost nobody I game with would care about those presentation issues.

Again I assure you the amount of controversy over an official Time Traveler class that fights with unique access to ray guns would be THROUGH. THE. ROOF. in many genuinely meaningful portions of the TTRPG discussion community. There already was tons of controversy about a couple of the Critical Role classes which had semi-official gloss on them that smacked of some of those concepts. What you find important or controversial isn't necessarily universal to all players of this game. It's part of the beauty of this game in fact.
That's a good point. Very few if any of the people I game with have any real interest in the existence of AI art or the presentation of diversity in RPGs.

Remove ads