Hasbro Double Downgraded by Bank of America.

And is this a glimpse into the future of D&D eventually?
I feel like D&D is in a entirely different ecosystem. Unless they start printing limited runs of 1e/2e era adventures for $999.99. I guess you could look at the alt covers like that in a way. Ive never had fomo for alt covers with exceptions being Tashas and the Lord Soth cover.

Scribe

Legend
Who or what is going to save MtG? And is this a glimpse into the future of D&D eventually?

The people who were stewards the game, have the capacity to do it again. I've said it before but Forsythe and Maro are not fools, they know exactly what they have done.

As to the 'what'?

Ban pretty much every F.I.R.E based card.
Go back and review the ban lists to see what else was hit as a result of those cards, and unban them.
Go back to the Pro Tour format.
Actually take care of the game competitively.
Slow down the releases.
Stop pushing Commander/EDH as a format with every release.
Stop pushing 'Direct to Modern' sets.

Essentially go back to like, 2014-2015 design.

Scribe

Legend
so go back to ignoring the most popular kitchen table casual format?
Not at all. The format wasn't ignored in the least, do you want me to Google it?

We don't need a commander set, with every single set release, just as we didn't need a direct to modern set with pushed as naughty word cards.

Scribe

Legend
so go back to ignoring the most popular kitchen table casual format?

Commander.JPG

And of course, due to the rules of EHD, every set is a Commander set.

Not at all. The format wasn't ignored in the least, do you want me to Google it?

We don't need a commander set, with every single set release, just as we didn't need a direct to modern set with pushed as naughty word cards.
The last actual dedicated commander set was Commander Legends: Battle for Baldur's Gate Commander, otherwise it's just been two commander decks with each release other than unfinity which didn't have one.

But it looks like they are going back to 5 precons with the Starter decks in December using allied colors.

So you want them to go back to bland yearly releases? As a commder-only player, I like the two commander decks for each set. I think I only bought one or two decks previously, they had to reach to make the decks different each year, either hinging on a new mechanic that wasn't supported by other cards outside the decks or low-hanging fruit (tribals and making an op mechanic to boot).

As for MH and MH2, i personally was happy with the reprints since it drove down prices for some singles I need for commander.

The last actual dedicated commander set was Commander Legends: Battle for Baldur's Gate Commander, otherwise it's just been two commander decks with each release other than unfinity which didn't have one.

But it looks like they are going back to 5 precons with the Starter decks in December using allied colors.

So you want them to go back to bland yearly releases? As a commder-only player, I like the two commander decks for each set. I think I only bought one or two decks previously, they had to reach to make the decks different each year, either hinging on a new mechanic that wasn't supported by other cards outside the decks or low-hanging fruit (tribals and making an op mechanic to boot).

As for MH and MH2, i personally was happy with the reprints since it drove down prices for some singles I need for commander.

Your forgetting the 4 epic Warhammer 40,000k decks and the fact that New Capenna had 5, no 2 decks.

So for this year 2 Kamigawa Decks, 5 New Capenna Decks, 4 CLB (Baldur's Gate) Decks, 4 Warhammer 40k Decks, 2 Dominaria United Decks, 2 Brothers War Decks, and now coming 5 Starter Commander Decks and a Entire 700+ card set dedicating to draftable Commander (includes the CLB decks). That hunreds, if not thousands of cards, new and reprints, targeted straight at Commander. That's 24 decks and a full Commander set. (Honorable Mention, Alchemy Horizons: Baldur's Gate CLBs Arena offshoot). 25 if you include the secret lair Commander Deck.

For comparison last year was the previous high, by a lot, 2 Kaldheim Decks, 5 Strixhaven Decks, 4 AFR Decks, 2 Midnight Hunt Decks, 2 Crimson Vow Decks, for a total of 15 Commander Decks.

The year before that was 0 Commander Decks for Theros sadly (I would have loved Theros Commander Decks), 5 I think for Ikoria, 2 Decks for CL1, 0 for Core set, 2 for Zendikar, and 1 Commander Legends Set (Includes the CL1 Commander Decks). 9 Commander Decks and 1 CL set.

Before that Commander Decks were not tied to Standard Sets or Supplemental set, you'd get 4 to 5 Commander Decks at most (and go before the Commander Format was created and there were no Commander Decks).

So massive change, this year was roughly 2.5 times as many Commander Decks as 2020, and a little over 4 to 5 times as many decks as 2019 and previous years.

This isn't a complaint, I prefer Commander Deck Precons to most mtg products, just that I wouldn't understate the volume of Commander Products this year. I didn't even include Commander targeted cards like the Transformer, the Universes Within versions of the Stranger Things SL, etc..., you can find in set boosters.

If it comes down to commander vs standard?

A comparatively few sets vs what has Ben their bread and butter for decades.

Could be a case of competing with yourself.
It's not since something like 70% of the money spent on the game, according to WotC's market research comes from the casual market which includes commander.

Remove ads