• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Have you bought a third-party product in the last year?

Have you bought a third-party product in the last year?

• Yes

Votes: 73 67.0%
  • No

Votes: 36 33.0%

Nellisir

Hero
I've bought a number of 3rd-party OSR products, primarily Swords & Wizardry variants/products. Back in "the day" though, I bought a huge number of 3rd-party d20 products, both physical and pdf.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
A couple for 3.5/PF because they were pretty cheap as .pdf - The Complete Book of Eldritch Might, 1001 Spells for Pathfinder. I might not have gotten the former if I had been able to flip through it in the store (not commenting on the quality, was hoping for more spells and less other stuff). I would have paid for A Magical Medieval City Guide, but I think it was free.

It was 31 years old, but also picked up a used copy of Tome of Might Magic by North Pole Press for OD&D/1e/BX.

Stormonu

Legend
Back during 3.5, I bought tons of 3rd party stuff. However, having moved on to PF, the only thing I can think of is the Tome of Horrors. Pretty much everything else has been "official" for whatever company designed the system.

AshySimon

First Post
Whether or not Official is a product's tag or not doesn't carry much weight with me. I don't intrinsically have any faith that Official products are better (or worse) than Unofficial ones. I've seen fan based products be incredible and "real" products be awful, so I think I just try to do my research about what I'm looking into getting, gauge my enthusiasm about the topic and go from there. I think this basically stands in any community. The talent level is really wherever the passion and money is - and that can really be anywhere!

MrMagoo00

First Post
I'm playing D&D 4e and I haven't purchased any third party products for it. Although I have taken a few Pathfinder adventures and "ported" them over to 4e so I can use them. My group likes 4e but I find the Pathfinder story paths to be extremely entertaining.

Allegate

First Post
I recently went to 'DrivethruRPG' and picked up many of their free 3rd party supplements. I also have a few things from Darklight Interactive around here somewhere.

I consider 3rd party rules/adventures or such as equity valid as anything the main company produces. Good ideas do not only come from the primary publisher.

Remove ads