• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Headless Horseman For Halloween Need Review

gamefreak180

First Post
So i am running a small adventure for my group on halloween and need advice on the main villain the horseman I have one created however I am not sure about his CR and if he needs more or less added. He is meant to go against a party of 2. a Sorcerer and a ranger are the players they are level 10 with a custom animal companion that sort of acts as a weaker 3rd player.
here is his stats and thoughts comments and suggestions are very much welcomed this is my first time trying to create a boss from scratch without any framework.
the mount is a nightmare and they stages are due to my party members easily chewing through hp pools and to add some depth to the fight.

Headless Horseman
med undead
Ac18
Hp stage 1 150 stage 2 250
Saves Str+9 Dex +5 Con+8 Int+5 Wis+7 Cha+14
Legendary resistance 3per day if the hoseman fails a saving throw he can choose to succeed instead

20 Str +5
12 Dex +1
18 Con +4
12 Int +1
16 Wis +3
22 Cha +6

Immune- Poison, Fear, Charm, Stunned, deafened, Fire, psychic, necrotic
Resistant- Piercing, Acid,
Vulnerable- radiant, Cold

Mount +5 1d6 bashing +1d6 fire + 3

Jack o Flail reach 15ft min distance 10 ft +8 2d6 bashing +5 + 2d6 fire damage
on a hit the target and all those adjacent take 1d6 fire damage
a bonus action is needed to start spinning the weapon before it can be used

Horseman’s Sword +8 1d8(or 1d10) +5 +2d6 fire damage on a 20 the target is decapitated
attacks twice

hand axe +8 1d6+ 5 + 2d6 fire damage
can be thrown 10ft

Jack o lantern toss(3 times per day) dc 18 dex for half damage 10d6 fire damage
range 150ft 20ft blast radius

Army of the Damned (1 time per day)
summon 3d6 skeletons or 1d6 flaming skulls

Special- if a character hold the horseman’s skull they can use a bonus action to cause a member of the party to take half damage until the beginning of their next turn.
Stage 1
the horseman focuses on using its ranged attacks starting off with Army of the damned and a jack o lantern toss, then until a party member gets close uses the flail.

Stage 2
he loses his mount and then begins to commit to melee combat attacking with ferocity working to down one party member at a time

stage 3?
should the horseman die he returns the next night at full strength. unless he head is rejoined with the body on hallowed ground where he is permanently destroyed.

Remove ads