• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Heirs to the Burning Thrones - Active - Roll-call!

Rystil Arden

First Post
Brother Shatterstone said:
This is an OOC thread for this game, which takes place in the Burning Lands, we should be talking about how that world works… ;)

Malika would be giving p everything she knows, like her freedom, which is something she might not have a true concept of…

She’s probably just infatuated and nothing more, its how nymphs are, so I suspect when push comes to shove she’s going to be gone. :)
Oh, I'm not saying you aren't right, just that she's unlikely to listen to you.

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
Rystil Arden said:
I just saw Goddess Fallen Angel in the "Witch is better?" thread. Does that mean I'm not in this game anymore?

As much as I would like to avoid your character's bad poetry no you’re still in the game... GFA has been floating around the board for a day or two but has made no attempt to reestablish her games... Her work is just at a low is all that is going on right now. :)

Rystil Arden

First Post
As much as I would like to avoid your character's bad poetry no you’re still in the game... GFA has been floating around the board for a day or two but has made no attempt to reestablish her games... Her work is just at a low is all that is going on right now. :)
Hey, Shalah isn't finished yet! :p
When it is, it will come out to this:

Bewitching splendour shines through umbral shade,
Alluring temptress, delicate and fair.
With lilting luscious laughter she hath bade
Her willing victim gently to her lair.
Seductive simpers; superficial tools
Hold power far in excess of their worth
Which turns the wisest men to drooling fools,
Mere tantalising veils to hide the dearth
Of honest substance, lacking which to seal
Into eternity can never be.
And who can say if she were ever real,
For evanescence incarnate is she.
But even knowing she will surely fade
The mem'ry may be worth the price that's paid.
-------------

You may not like it, but at least some people do (the same poem won me $70 of stuff from NG, so, um, so there!) :)

Rystil Arden

First Post
Maybe, but I have so many novels and books I want to read in my life that I don't see. :)
But if you care not for the poesy in the words of the text, you lose out even on novels and books. Like the beauty and insight of Shakespeare, for instance. Its something a nymph would understand ;)

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
Rystil Arden said:
But if you care not for the poesy in the words of the text, you lose out even on novels and books. Like the beauty and insight of Shakespeare, for instance. Its something a nymph would understand ;)

Funny, I don't much like Shakespeare either... ;)

Rystil Arden

First Post
Funny, I don't much like Shakespeare either... ;)
Wow (...Philistine...). I don't know what to say to that. I'm a member of an organisation known as the "Shakespeare Ensemble." Shakespeare (particularly Hamlet) and Greek drama (particularly Sophocles stuff) are my favourite works of lit. I think everyone would like Shakespeare if they participated in a round-table discussion where they learned how to interpret the Elizabethan English and such, and then read it in a for-fun way.

You just have to try to appreciate the beauty and the insight of the text, as well as the multiple levels of meaning, I guess. Take, for instance, this one that I posted on Off-Topic:

Selene-

Her silver smile beams down to part the gloom,
Empyreal with its faint ironic twist,
For who better than she perceives her doom
To vainly clutch the mem'ry of a tryst.
One that can be no more as she well knows
And Theia's fair-tressed daughter mourns her fate,
No matter how it hurts, her love will doze,
Enticing tears that nothing can abate.
And yet, despite this all, she smiles for me
Her amaranthine face exuding peace
For Night's handmaiden comforts selflessly.
Her altruistic vigils never cease.
As she prepares her slumber come the dew,
I cry, "Selene, when will you live for you?"

---------------

Seems like its about a girl, right? Well, actually, in Greek mytholog, Selene is the moon, the sister of Helios and Eos and the daughter of Hyperion and Theia. Her love for Endymion, a mortal shepherd was such that she didn't want him to die, so he was left in a sleep forever...

You can read poetry for the aesthetics, the meanings, and the allusions, and come out of it with some insight too :)

Remove ads