• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hellboy Comics & Movie...

Psychotic Dreamer

First Post
So on Friday I saw the Hellboy movie and really enjoyed it. What I was curious about is does the movie cover a single story from the comics or is it an amalgam of a bunch of the stories? How close is it?

Somehow I managed to never read an issue of Hellboy. Part of it was because from a few early exposures to Mike Mignola's art style I didn't care of it. This mainly came from an issue of New Mutants he drew that just totally turned me off. So I heard he had a comic and it sounded interesting, but I never picked it up. Now I'm trying to find a copy of the first trade paperback, Seed of Destruction, but everywhere I look it's out of print.

Just some random thoughts, comments and such.

Kai Lord

Hero
I've never read a Hellboy comic either, but my understanding is that the film is a loose adaptation of the comic miniseries "Seed of Destruction."

Mog Elffoe

Explorer
Seed of Destruction is not out of print. You should be able to find it anywhere that trades of Dark Horse comics are sold. It's good stuff, but the later stories are much, much better. My personal favorites are Wake the Devil, The Corpse, and Box Full of Evil.

You can't go wrong with Hellboy. It's the best.

LrdApoc

"Insert Title here"
Psychotic Dreamer said:
So on Friday I saw the Hellboy movie and really enjoyed it. What I was curious about is does the movie cover a single story from the comics or is it an amalgam of a bunch of the stories? How close is it?

Just some random thoughts, comments and such.

Well The movie does draw from a number of the ideas in the series as a whole. The plot itself is based on Seeds of Destruction with a few other stories like The Corpse thrown in and MODIFIED to work on the screen. The biggest changes going in for a movie fan will be the characterizations of some of the supporting characters.

Abe is different, Liz is pretty much the same.. there is no Meyers.. well there is one guy kind of like him later but he doesn't last very long.. and ALL OF THE VILLIANS ARE DIFFERENT.. Kronen is not a clockwork assasin the way he is in the movie.. Elsa has a much different role in the series as well. None of the supporting villians, other than Rasputin die at the end of Seeds.. they actually play bigger roles later on.

BrooklynKnight

First Post
Elsa still has that book and theoretically is immortal as well. If Rapsutin could be ressurected, then Its not a strech to beleive she's still alive either.

Remove ads