D&D 5E Help and advice for 5e spellcaster

Recently started playing in a new campaign with 4 other players. Oddly all of them went melee - 2 roses and 2 warriors leaving me as the only spellcaster.

Ive spoken to my gm who was happy for me to choose a class that could bridge the wizard/cleric hole, but I’m at a bit of a loss which direction to go in. Wizard theurgy? Arcane cleric? Start with warlock to get tome and the eventual ability to read and use all classes rituals? I should also say I don’t want to go bard - while charisma is fine as a class ability we don’t need, say, the party face.

so... suggestions on what build will give me the broadest range of spells at our disposal would be fantastic.

Rhenny

Adventurer
It depends on what you want to do as a PC.

Light Domain Cleric is a good blaster that gets access to burning hands immediately and Fireball when 3rd level spells are available. Their Radiance of the Dawn use of channel divinity is also pretty devastating especially vs. low hp creatures within the blast area. He/she also still gets access to healing and the other classical cleric spells.

If you want more versatile spells, you'd want to make a wizard, but then no healing.

For even more versatility, a bard would work well, but then you'd have the Charisma that you say may not be needed. With the bard, you get healing and some pretty nice control spells (Tashas Hideous Laughter is great vs. weak willed opponents and Hypnotic Pattern can capture a large group pretty easily).

Personally, I hate multi-classing, but that's just me.

If you really want to fill the wizard's role, it is hard to do completely with any cleric since you won't get access to a lot of the wizard utility spells and defensive spells that can be very handy. The bard comes closer to that function. The party is always thankful for a Leomund's Tiny Hut when a long rest is over due.

Nevvur

Explorer
Druid, Circle of the Land could be a good fit. I'd go grasslands for Haste. High wisdom and constitution. The rest of character creation would mostly be a matter of personal preference. My next choice would be a Cleric, Light Domain.

Honestly, I think you'll be fine whatever you choose. I totally understand wanting to round out a party, but party viability doesn't usually hinge on the presence of one or more types of spellcasters. Pick a kit that appeals to you and run with it. That said, given that all your allies are melee, I would caution against any build that focuses on laying down lots of AE damage (though Evocation Wizards and Sorcerers' metamagic can negate friendly fire)

Rhenny

Adventurer
Honestly, I think you'll be fine whatever you choose. I totally understand wanting to round out a party, but party viability doesn't usually hinge on the presence of one or more types of spellcasters. Pick a kit that appeals to you and run with it. That said, given that all your allies are melee, I would caution against any build that focuses on laying down lots of AE damage (though Evocation Wizards and Sorcerers' metamagic can negate friendly fire)

Good point. Although, a good fireball right off the bat into a large group of foes can really win the day. You can train the others in your party to let you blast first to begin the battle (especially if you can gain initiative).

neogod22

Explorer
Druid, Circle of the Land could be a good fit. I'd go grasslands for Haste. High wisdom and constitution. The rest of character creation would mostly be a matter of personal preference. My next choice would be a Cleric, Light Domain.

No sorcerers can't negate friendly fire. Their metamagic feat does not work the same as the evoked ability. It can make the save, not negate damage.

To the OP, if you're gonna play a healer, cleric is the way to go. Don't worry about filling the role of multiple classes. If the party has no arcane caster and you guys suffer for it, then hey, .et one of the others be the arcane guy. Maybe one or both of the fighters will be an eldritch knight or a rogue takes arcane trickster. If you choose to be a druid, Circle of the Moon is the only way to go. CotL is just terrible. Nothing says CotM is any less of a profient caster as the Land druids. All land druids really get is the extra spells thsst are automatically prepared. Land abilities are a joke.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Rhenny

Adventurer
I'll add to what [MENTION=6783882]Nevvur[/MENTION] wrote too.

Ultimately you should just play what you think would be fun for you. Don't worry about filling out the party. 5e is very flexible when it comes to party configuration and PC roles.

futrtrubl

Explorer
I would highly recommend a Wizard Theurge of Life domain. One of the players is running one in our current campaign and kicks butt when it comes to healing and support. The wizard ability to scribe any wizard spells/scrolls they can find (and no one else in your party can use) makes them incredibly flexible, while access to healing Cleric spells early on and any Cleric spells later on fills in any gaps. If you do get to very high levels the earlier than Cleric access to domain features is awesome.

Nevvur

Explorer
No sorcerers can't negate friendly fire. Their metamagic feat does not work the same as the evoked ability. It can make the save, not negate damage.

To the OP, if you're gonna play a healer, cleric is the way to go. Don't worry about filling the role of multiple classes. If the party has no arcane caster and you guys suffer for it, then hey, .et one of the others be the arcane guy. Maybe one or both of the fighters will be an eldritch knight or a rogue takes arcane trickster. If you choose to be a druid, Circle of the Moon is the only way to go. CotL is just terrible. Nothing says CotM is any less of a profient caster as the Land druids. All land druids really get is the extra spells thsst are automatically prepared. Land abilities are a joke.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

True about the sorcerer metamagic, though once the rogues reach level 7, it would result in negation for them at least.

Regarding CotL v CotM, the player wants to be a spellcaster. CotM does nothing to improve spellcasting. Even bad bonuses are better than bonuses you won't use.

neogod22

Explorer
True about the sorcerer metamagic, though once the rogues reach level 7, it would result in negation for them at least.

Regarding CotL v CotM, the player wants to be a spellcaster. CotM does nothing to improve spellcasting. Even bad bonuses are better than bonuses you won't use.
What? Ok at level 7 rogues get evasion, great so you cast a fireball in the middle of the party, the fighters go down and the rogues took no damage. Great, now they can tank or die too. Horrible idea. Or senerio number 2. You cast circle of death on everyone. Everyone make a con save. Wait I use metamagic and everyone takes half damage, evasion doesn't work for that or anything not a DEX save.

As for druids, I plan a CotM druid in AL. I prepare my spells for healing, and can sit back and be a spell caster all day, but if and when creatures get in and when,my face, guess what I can change into a pretty powerful animal that does magical damage on attacks. Or for utility purposes, I can turn into large strong animals that can help the party in other ways. Or small stealthy animals for spying. I for one thinks. CotM should not exist and that all druids should choose a land, get the spells and get all the CotM powers, but I guess that will make them too powerful. So I guess the choices for druids is, the spell caster that can change into useful animals or the spell caster that can't.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Remove ads