D&D 5E Help and advice for 5e spellcaster

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
An alternative you may find intriguing is Artificer:alchemist. You get a bit of healing, a bit of blasting and a fair bit of utility. Plus it "fits" in the party theme of not being very good at magic ;)

Thanks for the suggestions and advice folks!

Spoke to the GM and we're looking at a few ideas of classes. I suspect I'm going to make a 'cultist' style pc for pure flavour, someone who starts with tome warlock till level 3 for the full rituals (as I think I mentioned) and then some kind of cleric. My GM is pushing favoured soul sorcerer which I'll check out and I'm still curious if anyone had tried the theurgy wizard.

Land druid also looks interesting (and might work as more of a 'touched by the old ones' cleric). Lore Bard was always a cool idea but a no go - part of my reason for swapping is I've roleplayed for years and a lot of the other players are fairly new. I realized I was quickly doing all the talking in social scenes as they all hung back. Me not being the face would kind of give them more to do and help get them involved.

Nevvur

Explorer
Nice comeback, dude.

--

Sorry to the OP and everyone else who slogged through the derailment. Let us know what you choose, Angus! I'm curious to find out which route you go and how it works out for you. A part of me is a little jealous, as I've never played in a game where I was the only spellcaster. I predict you'll have many opportunities to save the day no matter which bag of tricks you pick.

(edit: oops, we were writing about the same time!)

Rhenny

Adventurer
Thanks for the suggestions and advice folks!

Spoke to the GM and we're looking at a few ideas of classes. I suspect I'm going to make a 'cultist' style pc for pure flavour, someone who starts with tome warlock till level 3 for the full rituals (as I think I mentioned) and then some kind of cleric. My GM is pushing favoured soul sorcerer which I'll check out and I'm still curious if anyone had tried the theurgy wizard.

Land druid also looks interesting (and might work as more of a 'touched by the old ones' cleric). Lore Bard was always a cool idea but a no go - part of my reason for swapping is I've roleplayed for years and a lot of the other players are fairly new. I realized I was quickly doing all the talking in social scenes as they all hung back. Me not being the face would kind of give them more to do and help get them involved.

Check with your DM (or keep it to yourself if you like), with the favored soul sorcerer, our group found some possible exploits that make them way more powerful than clerics. Use twin spell with healing spells. Imagine a sorcerer who can cast the "Heal" spell on two wounded foes instead of just one by expending 5 sorcerer points. Even a first level healing spell twinned can do so much.

Thurmas

Explorer
Choose what sound fun. If everything sounds fun go with:

CotL druid. Great spell flexibility. Some control, some damage, some utility. Even if you just spent each combat casting faerie fire on your enemies, your melee heavy party would be extremely grateful. You get some healing spells, but honestly in my experience, the only healing spell you ever really need in 5E is healing word. Bonus action ranged heal to bring someone up from 0 hit points. The resource economy of the game just makes it so much more economical to save healing for short rests and hit dice.

Second vote, if you want a little less flexibility but more damage, control and utility would be a wizard. Really most of them are pretty good, but I prefer enchantment and conjuration, although evocation wouldn't be bad with your melee heavy party.

Warlock would be a distant choice 3, but I feel that they tend toward the face side of things a bit more because of charisma and invocations. I also feel they are pretty blasty which it doesn't seem you need as much, and don't have as much selection or flexibility in casting. That being said, I love Warlocks. Just not always if they are the sole caster in a group.

You said you didn't want bard (fun class though) and I'm not a big fan of sorcerers.

Last edited:

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
No sorcerers can't negate friendly fire. Their metamagic feat does not work the same as the evoked ability. It can make the save, not negate damage.

To the OP, if you're gonna play a healer, cleric is the way to go. Don't worry about filling the role of multiple classes. If the party has no arcane caster and you guys suffer for it, then hey, .et one of the others be the arcane guy. Maybe one or both of the fighters will be an eldritch knight or a rogue takes arcane trickster. If you choose to be a druid, Circle of the Moon is the only way to go. CotL is just terrible. Nothing says CotM is any less of a profient caster as the Land druids. All land druids really get is the extra spells thsst are automatically prepared. Land abilities are a joke.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

I really like circle of the land especially in the ops party. The problem with going a moon druid in the OPs party is that there is already a ton of melee capability and while you can keep a concentration spell up in beast form, their ac values are generally horrendous for doing so. I highly recommend the mountain path for circle of the land. Don't get me wrong, moon is great, but I don't think it's the best druid build for the party he is describing.

Someone mentioned grassland for haste but they are rating haste to high for a Druid IMO. Druids have some of the best concentration spells in the game, haste is just going to compete with those and rarely find a time to be better. I would recommend mountain. Spider Climb can be very useful for infiltration / assination missions or letting a character that's injured easily get out of enemy range by going Vertical up a tree or cliff or wall. It's also a good spell to help an archer get in an advantageous position precombat etc. The nice thing about spiderclimb is it generally won't compete with your in combat concentration spells since its more of an out of combat spell. Besides that the most important spell you get is lightning bolt. It gives you a great damage spell to use when concentrating on other spells.

Great concentration spells (Conjure animals, moonbeam, call lightning, spike growth, faerie fire, entangle...)

I can't think of a time to use haste over many of those. I can think of many times to use lightning bolt while using them.

Because soo many of the druids spells are concentration he can actually use such spells in combat for offense and still have plenty of spell slots left over for exploration and healing.

neogod22

Explorer
I think Circle of the Shepard is a pretty good option for druids, I may even consider it if it comes in Xanther's Guide.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Quick return to this.

Ended up deciding to play a Warlock for 2 levels then switch to divine sorc (and start as a variant human with the Ritual caster: Wizard feat). From a healing point of view, is making the Warlock Patron Celestial worth it? Given it'd cap out at 3d6 healing and a cure wounds spell I'll get anyway from Divine Sorcerer?

Remove ads