Help, Confusion Spell.

Oogar

First Post
Okay, session going on right now. Monk got confused (as per the spell). First round rolls, "take no actions/ do nothing". Besides the loss of turn (Move action & standard action, Full turn action and 5' step, etc) what else happens?
i.e. can the monk still deflect an incomming arrow? Could a fighter get his AC bonus from a shield? Could a mage use a spell absorbtion effect?
Oppinions? Sage rulings? Actual rulings in the book? We are having different interpretations in the group.

Thanks

gfunk

First Post
Well, considering the wording is "take no actions/do nothing," my interpretation would simply be the monk takes no actions and does nothing. Since deflecting arrows would be "doing something," I don't quite see how PCs in you group could argue for it. They must be masters of spin! :D

Oogar

First Post
Sorry, if you look at the description it also seems to imply that the attackers get no advantages against the character. Which I took to mean like the daze spell. Maybe that is just the way that I see it. Daze spell pretty much stops attacks / actions. Shrug. I guess I personally see the spell as quite powerful already, without denying defensive actions. It would be the same to me as implying the character cannot make a reflex save, maybe I am just being too picky. Not looking good for us anyway. I'm dead, so meandering the boards. :) I hate dying.

gfunk

First Post
Hmmm . . . upon further review I see your point. On the one hand, dazed characters can defend themselves normally (which I interpret as meaning full AC and not flat-footed), but they can't take actions.

I think we could agree that rolling a reflex save against a fireball would be allowed, but deflect arrows . . . that's pretty gray.

As I'd rule it...

If they're trying something that's a Move-/Standard-equivilent action, then no they couldn't. This would rule out actions such as Counterspelling, and the use of Spellfire.

If it's a Free Action then it's a judgement call; I'd say if it required a conscious thought (like using a spell-absorption item) they couldn't because they're confused. The same would apply to Quickened spells (or items with built-in Free Action type spells), you actually have to consciously think of what they're doing to activate/cast.

Something like the Deflect Missle feat/ability though would, to my mind at least, be more of an ingrained reflex, so I'd allow that on the first missle attack that round. So Evasion and that type of feat/ability are fine.

And as already stated, it's mostly written that way (I believe) so that you don't count the player as flat-footed or too stupid/confused to turn around, thus preventing something like a sneak-attack.

Hatchling Dragon

hong

WotC's bitch
Oogar said:
Okay, session going on right now. Monk got confused (as per the spell). First round rolls, "take no actions/ do nothing". Besides the loss of turn (Move action & standard action, Full turn action and 5' step, etc) what else happens?
i.e. can the monk still deflect an incomming arrow? Could a fighter get his AC bonus from a shield? Could a mage use a spell absorbtion effect?

It means that the character can't do anything that would require active participation on the part of the player. It takes him out of the fight, basically. Anything that the character can do that doesn't require active participation -- such as gaining the AC bonus from a shield -- still applies. Deflecting arrows typically requires the player to announce that the character is doing it, so that wouldn't apply.

Petrosian

First Post
To me "take no actions" is a rule specific term. Anything that is defined as an ACTION is out.

Saves, keeping dex to Ac or full Ac etc are not actions.

Deflecting arrows, assigning dodge bonus to AC, counterspelling, using items powers ARE actions.

Ferox4

First Post
I, too, agree with Petrosian.

A few sessions ago, the PCs were subject to a Confusion spell as they descended a set of stairs into a tomb. At the end of the flight of stairs was a deep pit trap. The Rogue failed to save vs. the Confusion spell and began to wander down the stairwell. When he reached the pit I allowed him to make a Reflex saving throw to see if he avoided the fall. He did. Then the Rogue wanted to use his Cloak of Arachnida to climb around the pit. I said he couldn't.:p Our ensuing discussion is pretty much summed up by Petrosian's post, which I believe is more than fair. F4

Last edited:

Remove ads