• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help: I need advice on a new RPG to try.

dkoz

First Post
The RP group I participate in has been lacking the energy to continue our current DnD campaign and by mutual choice we have decided to expand our horizons.

Some of us are interested in trying a sci-fi style RPG that has decent rules for space "ship to ship" combat. The general and total unformed idea would be for the players to have a interstellar ship under their control to go gallivanting through space being, well, adventurers. Does anyone reading this thread have a suggestion on a system that might fit this idea?

Would Star Wars d20 be sufficient? I know nothing about that RPG and I am trying to find out if it has any ship-ship combat rules that make sense and are easy to use.

Any advice you can offer will be greatly appreciated. Also, if you have any advice about other RPG systems, not necessarily sci-fi, please reply with that also.

Thank you,
dkoz

FCWesel

First Post
Not exactly sure about STAR WARS...as I (when I ran it via the D6 version) tended to gloss over the actual mechanics for a more story-telling-dramtic flavour type of set-up.

I have heard the B5 RPG (D20) was a good system, but I do not know that for sure.

Sorry i could not be more help.

MrFilthyIke

First Post
dkoz said:
Any advice you can offer will be greatly appreciated. Also, if you have any advice about other RPG systems, not necessarily sci-fi, please reply with that also.

Try Traveller T20, nice system :)

kengar

First Post
Take a gander at Savage Worlds. It isn't genre-specific, but it has rules for sci fi equipment and vehicle combat as well. It's a great game for people who want to spend more time playing and less time prepping.

Fathead

First Post
Traveller T20 is a great system. My only complaint is the lack luster character races (they look like they were inspired by a trip to the city zoo). What I'd do is pull some races from other books (like Alternity) or make up some of your own based on scifi pictures. Then, use the game mechanics for T20. It would make a great game...

Elf Witch

First Post
I think Dragonstar is a great game. It is made for flying around in Space being adventurers and trying to avoid the drow secret police. :D A red Dragon is in charge right now belive me there is plenty of room for adventure.

The game can have a lot of space battles but also a lot of role playing. It depends on what you want.

Xeriar

First Post
dkoz said:
Some of us are interested in trying a sci-fi style RPG that has decent rules for space "ship to ship" combat. The general and total unformed idea would be for the players to have a interstellar ship under their control to go gallivanting through space being, well, adventurers. Does anyone reading this thread have a suggestion on a system that might fit this idea?

GURPS: Traveller is probably the most popular, but GURPS can be hella complex.

BESM by comparison goes the extreme opposite route :)

I really liked Star Wars d6... It captured a feel that d20 just didn't - can't. I still see copies of the main book being sold all over.

Would Star Wars d20 be sufficient? I know nothing about that RPG and I am trying to find out if it has any ship-ship combat rules that make sense and are easy to use.

BESM is the easiest, but, as it's anime, it's also rather tacky.

Traveller is a detailed universe with complex, realistic rules (and fits well into GURPS that way...) - it also has a d20 variant called T20.

I haven't tried the Star Wars d20 system - the d6 system took a bit of getting used to, but mostly had this scale for damage and manueverability.

Shadowrun is a great Sci-Fi setting, I heartily reccomend checking it out. The rules are a bit clunky for some tastes, though.

7th Sea and Legend of the Five Rings are two roleplaying games by AEG that were converted to d20 (Swashbuckling Adventures and Rokugan, respectively). In my opinion L5R was a truly inspired piece of work, though I liked 7th Sea less. L5R requires a moderate interest in Oriental mythology and culture, however.

Paranoia is just a riot... If you can find it.

Deadlands... Normally I would't touch Wild West stuff with a 20 foot electrified pole-arm, but using a deck of cards to play the game was just too cool.

Fading Suns... I don't really recall just how simple or complex the system was (pretty complex I think) - but the concept was beautiful. It's set in the year 6,000, a new space empire has formed, and the stars are fading...

Remove ads