D&D 5E Help I'm new

Bacon Man31

First Post
Hey, I'm fairly new to D&D and would like to start playing but I don't have a person to play as. I would appreciate it if someone could help me build a sorcerer. I've already started a little bit btw.

Nagol

Unimportant
Building a character is pretty straightforward. There are a few ways to get started. Really they vary by focus and you end up in the same place at the end regardless.

You can start with a mental image and personality and make choices that match (building to conception) or you can start with preferred abilities and develop a personality that fits (building to mechanics).

Either way, you need some building blocks to get far: a set of characteristics, a racial choice, a background, and an initial class choice. Once those are selected, there may be some additional choices (like sorcerer spell selection) to make.

It looks like you've made at least one of those choices so far. Do you have a set of characteristics?

Last edited:

Nagol

Unimportant
I forgot to ask a couple of additional questions that has become important since the edition launched:

Are you going to player this character in the Adventurers' League (that's public gaming usually at a game store) or in a home game?
What materials are available for you to use to create a character? Adventurer's League has a rule about only using a single sourcebook in addition to the main rules. The DM of a home game should have said what books you can use.

WarpedAcorn

First Post
Hey, I'm fairly new to D&D and would like to start playing but I don't have a person to play as. I would appreciate it if someone could help me build a sorcerer. I've already started a little bit btw.

Welcome to the boards first of all! And second of all, welcome to the wonderful world of D&D!

Now, you have already taken your first step towards building a character, picking a class. The next important steps are Race and Background, as both will influence the type of character you will play. For Race I would suggest picking something "boring" like Human at first unless you feel like really stretching your character wings. Their are optimal Races to pick, and as a Sorcerer any that give bonuses to Charisma are good choices, but don't worry too much about optimizing right now.

Next you need to pick your Background. This is what your character was doing prior to being a Sorcerer (or maybe during their "training"). This will help mold how you character came to be. Was he a Criminal who got caught one night while on a job and suddenly found out they had a talent for magic (like a Mutant in a comic book)? Did he spend his time researching in a library to try and figure out how to hone his skills (Sage background)? Or maybe he was a Soldier in the army until he started blasting fools with fire and thought he was destined for greater things? There are a lot of options and thinking about that can help shape how your character acts and reacts to the world.

After that you can fill in your Stats using whatever method your group uses as a Standard. Highest stat goes to Charisma for Sorcerer. Remember your Race and Background though for all your other stats. If a Soldier you might want higher Str/Dex/Con than if you were a Sage. Or you can just optimize it and go Char > Dex > Con > Wis > Int > Str.

From there is just a matter or picking your starting kit, selecting which skills you want to be proficient in, and lastly choosing those juicy spells. I would recommend not picking all Offensive spells, as you will want some defense or utility as well. Remember than Cantrips can be cast infinitely, so choose at least 1 Offensive spell as your "Bread and Butter" attack spell.

Outside of that, you should be set for your first adventure. Let us know if you have any other questions!

Bacon Man31

First Post
Thanks for the help, I have the basics down personalization wise I also have my speed, class, and abilities.
I need help on the following:
•Skills
•Health
•Spells
•Armour
•And Attacks
I would greatly appreciate it if you could help me with this topics. Thanks :)

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Thanks for the help, I have the basics down personalization wise I also have my speed, class, and abilities.
I need help on the following:
•Skills
•Health
•Spells
•Armour
•And Attacks
I would greatly appreciate it if you could help me with this topics. Thanks :)

Skills = pick some. You'll be fine about no matter what you pick. What skills are important and not important largely depends on the DM

Health depends on how the DM wants you to determine it

Spells. There's some duds but most will be okay. Any sorcerer guide on this forum should rate the spells decently well if you want to make sure you get good ones.

Armor is easy. You don't get any. So it's dex mod unless you have a armor feature like the dragon sorcerer subclass

Attacks are cantrip attacks or weapon attacks you will be using. Not a lot of choice here. So just make sure you follow the formulas to compute tie attack and damage correctly.

Remove ads