• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

help making a sneaky assassin gestalt

Armadon63

First Post
Hey guys i'm trying to build a assassin for a solo game. Trying to stay away from multiclassing and prc's. I was thinking spellthief/hexblade so I can fortify myself against spells and still be able to sneak around and get to my target. Also I'm playing a changeling. The 4 skills I am definatly taking are hide, move silently, disguise, and bluff. Probobly start off with weapon finess as first feat unless someone can come up with a better one. I have access to the races books, complete books, psionics, DMG2, and PHB2 also Eberron books.

I notice that CAdv has some nice spells for sneaking and sneak attacks but I would have to take sorc or wiz to utilize them. is it worth it in the long run? I would really like to take spellthief to 20 but maybe hexblade 4 sorcerer the rest of the way for the other side?

Just need a little help if you guys could.

Armadon63

First Post
Yeah I really thought about warlock. I was just thinking spellthief so I can steal the get away spells, from the casters, like teleport. Maybe spellthief/warlock?

Also I forgot to mention that all the targets will be gestalt also but everyone else in the world are normal class.

I also thought about Lurk/warlock but I don't know much about the Lurk class.

szilard

First Post
Beguiler would be really strong for one side, matched with something more martial (fighter, hexblade, duskblade, swashbuckler, or ranger). The problem here being that - unless you took the sneak attack fighter option in Unearthed Arcana - you wouldn't have sneak attack. I don't know that you'd need it, though. Pick up Arcane Strike instead and do extra damage (with a bonus to hit) that way - paired with power attack, this works well (since arcane strike gives you a bonus to attacks as well).

I'd probably go Beguiler 20 | Swashbuckler 3/Fighter 17

If you are using psionics, Beguiler | Soulknife might make for a really great assassin.

Why Beguiler? It doesn't have any lethal spells, sure. That's what weapons are for, anyway. It is, however, an Int based caster and incredibly skill heavy... and it has pretty much all the skills and spells you need for sneaking around, tricking people, and getting in and out of tricky situations.

-Stuart

Armadon63

First Post
Thanks for the advice stuart. I settled on Lurk/Soulknife changeling. i think this could lead to some interesting options for blending in with crowds or parties.

Should I go with two weapon fighting? This will be my first time playing a mind blade. Any suggestions for feats?

Remove ads