• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help me build a PC

kwiqsilver

First Post
L1 Rogue
L2 Swashbuckler
L3 Fighter
L4 Rogue
L5 Swashbuckler
L6 Fighter
L7 Rogue
L8 Swashbukler
L9+ More Rogue
For R3/F2/S2 at level 7, with no XP penalties.

S 13
D 17 (L4 +1)
C 13
I 16
W 12
C 9
That's a bunch of odds, I'd beg the DM into allowing you to even out your scores.

You'll get five feats (plus the free weapon finesse as a Swashbuckler).
I'd suggest Two Weapon Fighting (and the improved/greater version later), Improved Initiative, Blooded, Weapon Focus (Short Sword), Two Weapon Defense (and the improved/greater version later), Quickdraw, Flick of the Wrist, Combat Expertise, etc.
You'll have +10 Initiative bonus, 72 Rogue skill points (your stealth, observation, and B&E skills), 12 Fighter points (Climb 6 and Jump 6), and 16 Swash points (your personal interaction skills.
For fighting style, I'd focus on attacking from concealment, ensuring you win initiative, and flanking, because two weapons with sneak attack damage gets nasty. And your bonus damage that you'll get as a level 3 Swashbuckler isn't halved on your off weapon (but it doesn't work against constructs, undead, elementals, an so forth, so it's a trade off).
I'd also work on being defensive, because as a Rogue, you'll probably never wear anything heavier than a Mithril Breastplate.
Also, find out whether your DM considers using Combat Expertise fighting defensively (the feat descripion implies a relationship). If he does, use at least one point of Combat Expertise at all times, because it will give you the bigger bonuses from the Two Weapon Defense feats.
And when you hit L20, you'll have a +16 BAB (and four attacks per round).

I planned this character out earlier today (but with different ability scores) for a game I just started yesterday. I can send you the spreadsheet if you'd like.

DemonAtheist

First Post
i dont see why you wouldnt want to just be a pure rogue. that gives you 1d6 more sneak attack than adding two fighter levels, and then just be a Sneak Attack bitch and have fun. sa gives you damage, rogues own at scouting.

if you meleed id suggest:
dex 18
con 16
cha 13
int 13
wis 12
str 9

and go weapon finesse (rapier), combat expertise, improved feint, and either improved initiative or hamstring. the low str doesnt matter because your damage is from sneak attack and your AB is from dex.

if you prefer range however, you cant rely on sa as much, so i would suggest something along the lines of 3 rogue/2 ranger/2 fighter. that gives you 3 free feats, 2d6 sa, and a slightly better BAB than a pure rogue.

feats you would have: precise shot, point blank shot, rapid shot, track, weapon focus (bow of your choice), dodge, mobility, shot on the run

youd be evil cool witha bow, with occasional 2d6 extra damage

if you go range, you should also switch int and con (more skills, dont need the hp)

hope that helps any

Rozman

First Post
Rog 4/ Fig 2/ Ran 1 (Ro/F/F/Ra/Ro/Ro/Ro)

S: 16
D: 17 +1 at 4th
C: 13
I: 13
W: 12
Ch: 9

Feats:
Hum 1 Dodge
CLvl 1 Mobility
Fig 1 EWP: Spiked Chain
Fig 2 Combat Expertise
CLvl 3 Combat Reflexes
CLvl 6 Spring Attack

SP: 70 Rog + 8 Fig + 8 Ran
Climb +6 (3 Fig +3 Str)
Hide +19 (6 Rog + 4 Ran +4 Dex +5 Competence)
Tumble +14 (8 Rog +4 Dex +2 Synergy)
Move Silently +19 (6 Rog +4 Ran +4 Dex +5 Competence)
Jump +10 (5 Fig +3 Str +2 Synergy)
Disable Device +13 (10 Rog + 1 Int +2 Circumstance)
Open Lock +8 (5 Rog +1 Int +2 Circumstance)
Perform (dance) +4 (5 Rog -1 Cha)
Search +11 (10 Rog +1 Int) [+16 for secret doors & traps]
Spot +11 (10 Rog +1 Wis)
Listen +11 (10 Rog +1 Wis)

Adjust SP if neccesary; Opening Locks wasn't listed as a primary concern, so got 2ndary treatment.

With the Spiked Chain, you can perform the dual role: you can move around in the combat and plant yourself in a good flanking position against piles of goons, and you can make hit & run attacks that force them to provoke AoO's to get back at you if necessary. You can spike up your AC if you become the focus of their attacks for some reason.

Choose something appropriate for your Favored Enemy; probably Humans.

Head for Shadowdancer at 8th level. You get Hide in Plain Sight, Darkvision at 2nd level (essential for any scout) and eventuall all sorts of Rogue-ability goodness and your own flank-buddy. All with Ranger HD :)

Equip:
+1 Mithral Chain Shirt of Shadow 3,100gp
+1 Spiked Cain (slap Merciful on it when you can afford it, no good sneaking up on their guard when you can't get any information out of him :) 2,325 gp
Boots of Elvenkind 2,500 gp
Goggles of Minute Seeing 1,250 gp
Bag of Tricks (Rust) 3,000 gp (for those diversions/flank buddies)
Hand of the Mage 900 gp (for picking up neat albeit non-magical trinkets)

This leaves just under 6,000 for expendables, upgrades & such.

silverblade

First Post
gfunk said:
Perhaps the thred title should be, "Make me a PC because I'm too lazy to do it myself." ;)

You should at least provide a build for us to critique.
Hey, give me a break! I was in a hurry when I posted this or I would have given a sample build to critique. Thanks for your suggestions everyone. I'm sure I'll be able to use your ideas.

Quirhid

First Post
I can't see why somebody would make someone else do their character. Where's the fun in that! You'll have more interest in the game playing a self-made character.

Darklone

Quirhid said:
I can't see why somebody would make someone else do their character. Where's the fun in that! You'll have more interest in the game playing a self-made character.
Some people in my group have no idea about the rules but enjoy playing.

silverblade

First Post
Shazman said:
Allright EN worlders. I need your help. Design a 7th human character with the following starting array: 13 17 13 12 16 9 The character will be meant for scouting, trap removal, and a secondary fighter. Use any core WotC materials including FR and OA materials. Please also suggest equipment. Alignment is neutral good and has Illmater as a parton.

For those of you who want a sample PC to critique I was thinking of Ninja6/Fighter1 then going on into Dervish. Str 13, Dex 18(20), Con 12, Int 13, Wis16, Chr 9. Equipment: +1 bracers of armor, +1 ring of protection, gloves of dexterity +2, and a +1 silvered bastard sword of sure striking. Feats improved unarmed strike, combat expertise, weapon focus(bastard sword), dodge, and mobility.

Remove ads