• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help me build a PC

kwiqsilver

First Post
silverblade said:
For those of you who want a sample PC to critique I was thinking of Ninja6/Fighter1 then going on into Dervish. Str 13, Dex 18(20), Con 12, Int 13, Wis16, Chr 9. Equipment: +1 bracers of armor, +1 ring of protection, gloves of dexterity +2, and a +1 silvered bastard sword of sure striking. Feats improved unarmed strike, combat expertise, weapon focus(bastard sword), dodge, and mobility.
Isn't the whole point of the Dervish class to wield two scimitars for 14 attacks per round ?
I'd start out with some Swashbuckler to get the free Weapon finesse (so you don't need a high strength to hit well) and Insightful Strike (so you don't need a high strength for damage). It'll also let you focus on Dexterity and Intelligence, which will improve your AC (since you can't wear much armor) and skills.

Quirhid

First Post
Darklone said:
Some people in my group have no idea about the rules but enjoy playing.

Yea, I have those problems too. Most of my players haven't even read the PH! It's very annoying sometimes... "Hey, how could he do that! He can't do that, can he?" You know what I mean? It's even worse to begin to explain the rules to them during the game.

And then they ask me, what would be a good character. When I say what would be a goog build, they still can't have all the benefits form it because THEY DON'T KNOW ALL THE RULES.

Darklone

Quirhid said:
Yea, I have those problems too. Most of my players haven't even read the PH! It's very annoying sometimes... "Hey, how could he do that! He can't do that, can he?" You know what I mean? It's even worse to begin to explain the rules to them during the game.

And then they ask me, what would be a good character. When I say what would be a goog build, they still can't have all the benefits form it because THEY DON'T KNOW ALL THE RULES.
I got a little bit more luck. They didn't know the game but had an idea which kind of character they wanted to play... pretty simple things. So I build them their stuff and proposed some gimmicks. During combats, they told me what they planned to do and I usually said whether it's a good idea or not. Examples what they could do where shown by evil NPCs :D

Now, after three years, most of them bought the PHB themselves and two start to minmax ;)

Korak

First Post
Here is a build that should give you decent damage output as a second line fighter. You will spring attack in for a single good hit per round and stay out of full attack range. This build also includes good int and max ranks in disable device and search to ensure good trap handling ability. The hide and move silently scores are similarly strong.

Human Ftr2/Rog5 (Rog, Rog, Ftr, Rog, Ftr, Rog, Rog)

Str: 13
Dex: 19 (17, +2 enhancement)
Con: 14 (13, +1 Lvl4)
Int: 16
Wis: 12
Cha: 9

HP: 48 (34 base +14 con)
AC: 19 (5 armor + 4dex)
Attacks: Spiked Chain +10, 2d4+2 (3d6 sneak attack)

Feats:
Level1: Dodge (Human), Mobility (Lvl 1)
Level3: Exotic Weapon Proficiency [Spiked Chain] (Ftr1), Weapon Finese (Lvl 3)
Level5: Spring Attack (Ftr2)
Level6: Nimble Fingers

Class Abilities:
Trapfinding, Trap Sense +1, Uncanny Dodge, Evasion, Sneak Attack (3d6)

Saves:
Fort: 6 (3 base +2 con +1 resistance)
Ref: 10 (5 base +4 dex +1 resistance)
Will: 4 (2 base +1 wis +1 resistance)

Skills:
Code:
Bonus	Ranks
8	5	Appraise
10	5	Balance
-1	0	Bluff
5	5	Climb
2	0	Concentration
1	0	Control Shape
3	0	Craft:
3	0	Craft:
-1	0	Diplomacy
17	10	Disable Device
-1	0	Disguise
3	0	Escape Artist
3	0	Forgery
1	0	Gather Information
1	0	Heal
13	10	Hide
-1	0	Intimidate
7	5	Jump
8	5	Knowledge: Local
9	8	Listen
13	10	Move Silently
18	10	Open Locks
-1	0	Perform:
6	2	Ride
13	10	Search
1	0	Sense Motive
9	8	Spot
1	0	Survival
0	0	Swim
15	10	Tumble
9	5	Use Rope

Equipment:

I am not totally sure on the starting wealth for a 7th level character, so I will shoot from the hip.

Mithral Chain Shirt +1, Cloak of Resistance +1, Gloves of Dexterity +1, Spiked Chain +1, Heward's Handy Haversack, Masterwork Thieve's Tools

Advancement:
I would continue to build with rogue levels, maybe a PRC later, but always be minful of your skill ranks in hide, move silently, search, listen, spot, open locks, and disable device. Pump your dex as high as you can. Get boots of striding and springing or speed as soon as you can to extend your movement. This build's combat maneuver is pretty plain, spring attack for one big hit from the flank of your target. Soon your tumble mod will be so good that you can tumble at full speed on a 2+ during your spring attack to avoid AOOs from every enemy, not just your target. You will put out respectable damage in that capacity without consuming much in the way of healing resources from your party. You will also maintain very solid trap finding and negotiation abilities.

Shazman

Banned
Banned
Darklone said:
Hehehe, which part of human level 7 char did you misunderstand, jg ;)

Secondary fighters are IMHO best archers. Go for Dex 18, strength 16, con and int 13, wis 12 and cha 9. I'd take two or four ranger levels for fun and feats and put the rest into rogue.

Use Magic Device, a wand of GMW and a wand of Flame Arrow. Mighty comp bow. The three feats you have: C-expertise, Improved Trip and something you love (or Precise Shot if you took PBS as human bonus feat). Give him a polearm for tripping and he can fight behind your party tank if he has to.

The main fighter of the party is a fighter/order of the bow initiate, so I really need a build that is competent in melee.

Darklone

Shazman said:
The main fighter of the party is a fighter/order of the bow initiate, so I really need a build that is competent in melee.
Ugh. That's a main fighter? No melee? All the more reason to go into the polearm direction. I mean, you want to be the parties tank as a ftr/rog? Not even dwarf? I could see a dwarf ftr4/rog3 in fullplate doing that job, but not a trapspringer... okok, the dwarf can disarm traps as well...

silverblade

First Post
The party also has a druid and a cleric with the war and destruction domains so they are helpful in melee. Most things don't get too close, anyway, cause they get feathered with arrows and blasted with spells before they get too close.

Darklone

Hmm... then I don't understand why that polearm/bow mixture wouldn't fit perfectly :D

Just take care to stay behind the cleric.

silverblade

First Post
I'd like to thank everyone for their input. I've decided to go Ftr2/Rog5 with improved feint and spring attack for increased sneak attack opportunities.

Remove ads