Help me build my first Pathfinder character (fighter/rogue)

buddhafrog

First Post
Thanks all. Near the end of the 6 hour game today we leveled up to Lvl 3 (rogue 2)....
... and then my character died.

I felt like I was getting a decent grasp on my character and how the builds work, and then he died. I used 1/2 Orc ferocity to last one more round and attempted to drink a healing potion, and then got lit up by our first mini-BBEG. Fortunately, I had just double hit including a critical the turn before (31 damage) and he died soon after.

This was my first character that ever died - mostly b/c this is the first I've played as a player since middle school 25 years ago. I started to like my character, but now feel decent about rolling up a new character.

Enworld is the best. Thanks guys.

buddhafrog

First Post
[MENTION=15538]pawsplay[/MENTION]

Thanks, but pour that 40 in the dirt - it might trickle down to the underdark where my former party left me - those dirty bastards.

buddhafrog

First Post
So what's next for you?

(And that half-orc fighter build looked very familiar... Did you use a pregen, perhaps?)

No, could you tell me where I can find plenty of pregens online? Believe me, I looked elsewhere before posting here asking for help - couldn't find what I needed. I was somewhat surprised how hard it was to find various pregen builds online. Maybe I just don't know where to look.

But as for now, I'm looking into a sorcerer - we have no magic-based character and our little halfling ranger could pick up a level of rogue and cover some of those needs for the party. Gnome Sorcerer perhaps? Back to the drawing board.

I got to say, I do love how multi-classing is handled in Pathfinder compared to 4e. It's fun even if it's less optimized.

Shisumo

First Post
No, could you tell me where I can find plenty of pregens online? Believe me, I looked elsewhere before posting here asking for help - couldn't find what I needed. I was somewhat surprised how hard it was to find various pregen builds online. Maybe I just don't know where to look.
Well, as it happens, I do. (And you should check out the half-orc fighter on that PDF, just FYI.) They're just first level, but they should get you started. Here's hoping they help!

But as for now, I'm looking into a sorcerer - we have no magic-based character and our little halfling ranger could pick up a level of rogue and cover some of those needs for the party. Gnome Sorcerer perhaps? Back to the drawing board.
Gnomes make excellent sorcerers. An interesting possibility, if APG material is available for your game, might be to make a shadow sorcerer and take the Master Tinker alternate racial trait. That would give you Stealth as a class skill and racial bonuses to both Disable Device and Perception - basically, the three most important rogue skills. If you can manage to squeeze out enough skill points each level, you might be able to take over that rogue slot yourself!

buddhafrog

First Post
[MENTION=85314]Shisumo[/MENTION]

Thanks. I actually saw that pdf very early but my problems started as I tried to level up and particularly multiclass. Now that I've played a few times, though, re-looking at the list is very helpful. I understand more what it means.

I think the APG would be available - it wasn't stated either way and the DM has it. I'm definitely interested in this shadow build - will do my research.

Shisumo

First Post
I think the APG would be available - it wasn't stated either way and the DM has it. I'm definitely interested in this shadow build - will do my research.
i know you said you like multiclassing in Pathfinder, and bully for you that you do!, but one of the things I like best about Pathfinder is that it is easier to pull off cross-class "roles" without actually having to multiclass, particularly as compared to 3.5.

Using 20 point buy (as it looks like you are), one possible set of stats would look like this after racial modifiers:
Str 8, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 14, Wis 14, Cha 16
With the favored class bonus going into skills (and a set of masterwork thieves' tools), at 3rd level you would have:
Disable Device +8, Knowledge (arcana) +8, Perception +7, Spellcraft +8, Stealth +12

Not as good as a "real" rogue for certain, but still pretty functional!

Remove ads