• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Help me Build this lvl 20 Character

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
...The thing is I'm not starting as a Wizard.

If that's what you want to do that it is. The only thing I'm trying to point out is that doing so with many of the options you have chosen is actually less optimized than going pure Wizard. Let me explain why that is the case.

Consider 2 characters and we are going to compare them two levels at a time.

Level 1
Fighter 1 vs Wizard 1

The Cleric will take a high strength and intelligence and constitution. This makes his AC and weapon usage better but he lacks spells.

The Wizard will take a high dexterity and intelligence and constitution. He will have lower AC but his spells will be better since he will have a high intelligence.

I would rate the 2 classes as too close to call which is better at this point.

Level 2
Fighter 1 Wizard 1 vs Wizard 2
I think the Cleric 1 Wizard 1 is clearly better than the Wizard 2. It's not by a big margin but it's better.

So altogether the Fighter 1 Wizard X build is better in the level 1-2 range IMO. However, for level 3 to 4 and 5 to 6 etc the Wizard X is better than the Fighter 1 Wizard X. Let's examine why.

Fighter 1 Wizard 2 vs Wizard 3. Having two 2nd level spellslots and four 1st level spellslots is much better than having 3 first level spellslots. On top of that 2nd level spells themselves are much stronger than first level spells and I think the pure Wizard has a large advantage at this level.

Figher 1 Wizard 3 vs Wizard 4. The fighter has nearly caught up in spells and spellslots and has his AC advantage. He has an advantage at this level but it's clearly not as much of an advantage as the single classed wizards was at level 3.

Basically the single classed Wizard is better than a single classed fighter at odd character levels to a greater degree than a fighter 1 Wizard X is better than a single classed wizard at even character levels. This pattern holds true for most of your characters career.

Cleric 1 Wizard X or even sorcerer 1 wizard x is much closer for most of the game. So if you are deadest on multiclassing a single level then the cleric 1 Wizard X route is better than the fighter 1 Wizard X route.

That said, action surge is a game changer once you have sufficient spells. So if you start fighter 1 Wizard 5 and then take a 2nd level of fighter for action surge either after wizard level 5 or 7 etc then you will be able to dominate certain combats yourself while maintaining your high ac and having concentration saves.

J Neto

First Post
Well, you guys managed to get me away from evocation, and somewhat decide my character. I'm now a lvl 3 character Forge Cleric 1/Wizard 2. But now I'm torn between abjuration and Illusion. Abjuration seems more solid, more safe to use and somewhat more powerful. Illusion though seems more fun, but risky if I get a bad DM. Pretty much I'm being held by "Resistence to spell damage, +43 HP fully rechargeable with spell mastery, and mainly Proficency in dispell magic" vs. "Illusory reality - SO GOOD and maleable illusions."

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads