• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Help me Build this lvl 20 Character

Dausuul

Legend
Yeah, starting a wizard from level 1 as a cleric/wizard is a good combo since it gives you guidance, armor, and basic healing. But if I was running a game starting at level 20 I think I would just take an abjurer with counterspell as a signature spell and make enemy casters weep.
Kind of a waste if you ask me. At most, Signature Spells gives you two additional 3rd-level slots per encounter. It's not going to significantly affect combat at level 20.

Spell Mastery has way more impact than Signature Spells.

CTurbo

Explorer
Kind of a waste if you ask me. At most, Signature Spells gives you two additional 3rd-level slots per encounter. It's not going to significantly affect combat at level 20.

Spell Mastery has way more impact than Signature Spells.

I agree. Signature spell should have been at-will, but I guess then the Abjurer with Counterspell and/or Detect Magic would break the game in half. Getting permanent at-will Shield at level 18 is much better than 2 additional 3rd level slots.

Dausuul

Legend
Whoa, okay. So you're starting at level 1? That changes everything.

In that case, my recommendation would be straight wizard. The benefits of a multiclass dip are not worth delaying your access to high-level spells. In the unlikely event you reach level 17, then you might consider a dip in cleric for spell selection and armor, or fighter for Action Surge and armor. But wizards are all about the spells, and not getting access to your next tier of spells on schedule is just too painful.

Whatever you do, though, plan your build to be effective across the level range. If you play in a 1-20 campaign, what happens at level 20 is only 5% of your adventuring career. Sucking for 95% of the game in order to rock the last 5% is a lousy tradeoff.

Last edited:

J Neto

First Post
Whoa, okay. So you're starting at level 1? That changes everything.

In that case, my recommendation would be straight wizard. Delaying your access to high-level spells is not worth the benefits of a multiclass dip. In the unlikely event you reach level 17, then you might consider a dip in cleric for spell selection and armor, or fighter for Action Surge and armor. But wizards are all about the spells, and not getting access to your next tier of spells on schedule is just too painful.

Whatever you do, though, plan your build to be effective across the level range. If you play in a 1-20 campaign, what happens at level 20 is only 5% of your adventuring career. Sucking for 95% of the game in order to rock the last 5% is a lousy tradeoff.

Actually, it doesn't make that much of a difference in the place I'm playing, and we still have a lot of adventuring after lvl 20. It's probably 60%/40% instead of 95%/5%. I'll be lvl 20 (if I don't die) in about 5-6 months.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I tried to give more information now. Thanks for the support.

I propose you stay straight wizard.
1. You will never see level 18. Which means multiclassing will have a noticeable affect on you getting good higher level spells “on time”
2. Most of the multi classes you are suggesting don’t seem to meet your character concept
3. Initiative > AC for a wizard (you are over valuing heavy armor)

There are reasons to multiclass anyways despite the drawbacks. Character concept. Party need for in ckmbat healing spells. Even an ability like Action surge allows you to be a much better blaster wthan you otherwise could be which might be just the concept you are looking for.

In general in most realistic situations you will face a single classes wizard will be better. In general it’s a more coherent character concept than whatever going 1 level of fighter, 5 levels of wizard another level of fighter etc looks like.

So I suggest go pure wizard unless you are sure your party needs healing or you really want to find a way to play a coherent character concept of fighter wizard or cleric wizard

Dessert Nomad

Adventurer

Ugh, I thought signature spell did make it an at-will. Yeah, if I was making a level 20 wizard I'd look at the entry, then decide to multiclass lol.

Dessert Nomad

Adventurer
I don't really like fighter/wizard multiclass, because you're trading 2 levels of spellcasting ability for action surge and better armor (you're a wizard, you don't need physical weapons). Waiting an extra 2 levels to get each cool new spell, and having fewer slots overall is pretty brutal. One level dip for cleric only delays your new spells by a level on the downside, and on the upside you get the same number of slots, an extra set of cantrips (with stuff you usually can't get like guidance), basic healing, and armor, so that's the only MC I'd really want to do.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I don't really like fighter/wizard multiclass, because you're trading 2 levels of spellcasting ability for action surge and better armor (you're a wizard, you don't need physical weapons). Waiting an extra 2 levels to get each cool new spell, and having fewer slots overall is pretty brutal. One level dip for cleric only delays your new spells by a level on the downside, and on the upside you get the same number of slots, an extra set of cantrips (with stuff you usually can't get like guidance), basic healing, and armor, so that's the only MC I'd really want to do.

Yea it’s less wizardy but it’s very blastery. Depends on what you are looking for.

J Neto

First Post
What would you say about the 1 lvl dip in cleric and 1 lvl dip in fighter? If I do just 1 lvl dip in cleric it will be in the Forge Cleric because of the heavy armor and the blessing of the Forge And I get 1 extra ASI. But If I dip in fighter I can have the knowledge domain and get 2 new skills with expertise. And there's the matter of the Trickery cleric that has a very nice Channel Divinity.

Remove ads