• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Help me Build this lvl 20 Character

J Neto

First Post
So I'm thinking about a Wizard with 2 lvl multiclass, can you guys give me your opinion?

1- Fighter 2/Wizard 18
Fighting Style (+1 AC) - Second Wind - Action surge - Heavy Armor Proficency - 4 ASI - Caster lvl 18 - Proficency in con and str saves

2- Fighter 1/Cleric 1/Wizard 18
Fighting Style (+1 AC) - Second Wind - Cleric Spell list, 1st Level Cleric Spells lvl 1 and Domain Spells - Expertise in 2 skill proficencies (If Knowledge) or +1 AC (If Forge Domain) - 4 ASI - Heavy Armor Proficency - 4 ASI - Caster lvl 19 (1 more 6th lvl spell slot) - Proficency in con and str saves

3- Fighter 1/Wizard 19
Fighting Style (+1 AC) - Second Wind - Heavy Armor Proficency - 5 ASI - Caster lvl 19 (1 more 6th lvl spell slot) - Proficency in con and str saves

4- Cleric 1/Wizard 19
AC +1 (Forge Domain) - Heavy Armor Proficency - 5 ASI - Caster lvl 20 - Cleric Spell list, 1st Level Cleric Spells lvl 1 and Domain Spells - 5 ASI - Proficency in con and Wis and Cha saves (Not in con)

5- Cleric 2/Wizard 8
Trickery domain (Channel Divinity: Invoke Duplicity - It seems pretty good for a caster, but I'm afraid it will not be very useful in higher lvls) - NO Heavy Armor Proficency - Cleric Spell list, 1st Level Cleric Spells lvl 1 and Domain Spells - 4 ASI - Proficency in con and Wis and Cha saves (Not in con)

EDIT: Ok Let's go for some more information.
I'm a Deep Gnome and I'm starting at lvl 1. I'm using point buy. I will have acess to some magic itens, including Mithral armor (I can count with this one). I'm going with the Evocation School. I like the illusion school, but since I'm playing with a lot of different DM's, and the Illusion school depends a lot on the DM's interpretation of the monster, I decided to not go with that. No I don't want to make a melee caster, however I still need the protection in this campaign. AC and HP are very important if I want to keep my character alive. The feats I'm Considering are Warcaster, Spell sniper (eldritch blast), Tough, Resilient in con (If I don't get it from fighter), Resilient on Wis (If I don't get it from Cleric) or even lucky. The reason I'm dumping the Lvl 20 wizard Feature is that it really isn't that great. Two lvl 3 spells that you can cast at the lowest level once per rest. At lvl 20 that's really "meh". The place I'm playing him is a server with dozens of people. It's kinda like AL, but not the same. The DM's of the server post quests, and we put our names on it. They are mostly one-shot quests, we do what we have to do and come back to the Mercenary Company we are all part of. Oh and I get to write scrolls (any scroll as long as I I'm high enough lvl and have the money for it) and than copy them in my spellbook. It will take a lot of resources tho.

Now for the BG part. My character thinks he is an Great old One trapped in a mortal vessel, or maybe he really is, I leave that unclear on purpose. The thing is, he is crazy, real crazy. I went to the Permanent Madness table and got 3 of them and threw it on him as flaws. He is really selfish and kinda chaotic/Neutral/evil, but he is also smart. So he won't directly harm his party companions. But won't also go to great lengths to protect or save them.

I think that's It.

Last edited:

So I'm thinking about a Wizard with 2 lvl multiclass, can you guys give me your opinion?

4- Cleric 1/Wizard 19
AC +1 (Forge Domain) - Heavy Armor Proficency - 5 ASI - Caster lvl 20 - Cleric Spell list, 1st Level Cleric Spells lvl 1 and Domain Spells - 5 ASI - Proficency in con and Wis and Cha saves (Not in con)

Go with #4, except take War Domain, take your first level as Wizard and you 2nd level as Cleric, after that, all Wizard. For your Wizard Archetype, take War Wizard. At the earliest opportunity, take the War Caster feat, personally I would take Variant Human, so I could grab it at 1st level. This build lets you wear heavy armor and use martial weapons, as well as cast spells while holding a weapon and shield. By 20th level the character will be a force of nature in plate mail.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog

1- Fighter 2/Wizard 18
Fighting Style (+1 AC) - Second Wind - Action surge - Heavy Armor Proficency - 4 ASI - Caster lvl 18 - Proficency in con and str saves

Fighting Style (+1 AC) - Second Wind - Cleric Spell list, 1st Level Cleric Spells lvl 1 and Domain Spells - Expertise in 2 skill proficencies (If Knowledge) or +1 AC (If Forge Domain) - 4 ASI - Heavy Armor Proficency - 4 ASI - Caster lvl 19 (1 more 6th lvl spell slot) - Proficency in con and str saves

3- Fighter 1/Wizard 19
Fighting Style (+1 AC) - Second Wind - Heavy Armor Proficency - 5 ASI - Caster lvl 19 (1 more 6th lvl spell slot) - Proficency in con and str saves

4- Cleric 1/Wizard 19

5- Cleric 2/Wizard 8
Trickery domain (Channel Divinity: Invoke Duplicity - It seems pretty good for a caster, but I'm afraid it will not be very useful in higher lvls) - NO Heavy Armor Proficency - Cleric Spell list, 1st Level Cleric Spells lvl 1 and Domain Spells - 4 ASI - Proficency in con and Wis and Cha saves (Not in con)

Are you starting at level 20?

ClaytonCross

Kinder reader Inflection wanted
I would be glad to look at what your thinking and offer advice however it would be hollow and pointless without context. Examples:

1. You obviously want to play a Wizard, but why the multi-class? Are you optimizing for a melee caster or are you just looking for some creative subtest flare?

2. Why did you not mention Wizard School? If your going to play defensive perhaps Abjuration or Divination, if your a melee spell caster elf perhaps Bladesinging or WarMagic if Human... If your starting a campaign at level 1, I would want to tie that together with the multi-class, and back story. Charlatan --> Trickery Domain Cleric --> School of Illusion or Enchantment... if your doing a one shot and character development doesn't matter then that goes to the wind.

3. Do you have any intent for Strength or Dex fighting style? This will effect armor and weapon choices if you are going melee wizard or if your just looking for more Defense. Are you going to be the Party Pact mule or is equipment going to be limited by what you bring on day one for example a one-shot where you don't get to stop by a store.

4. Why are you designing a level 20? Are you starting at level 20? or are you just planning your a course of direction for your character?
Is this a level 20 one shot where your not really investing in character story your just going to play some high power builds for a session or two in a striate forward enemy kill feast or is the a character you want to develop that is going to be around for a while and you will want out of combat utility for as well or perhaps as even a priority?
Multi-class maybe more a lose than a gain depending on intent because the lvl 20 Signature Spells is a good capstone that lets Wizards learn prepare, and cast 2 level 3. spells like Fireball and Lighting Bolt and if your going striate to level 20 without the option pick up scrolls and spells to add to your book on the way where starting as fighter level 1 gives you a "capstone replacement" that you get to use all the way up to level 20 so if you neve make it to 20 or only play a few sessions there it would likely be of more value. However, it we are talking about flare not optimization that doesn't matter.

5. Do you get options for gear? After all, if your starting at level 20 is your party using the Starting Equipment adjustment table in the DMG p38? If so Low, Standard, or High Magic? Because if your multi-classing for extra protection but standard or high let you have Elven Chain our the gate (with GM approval) you don't need armor proficiency or strength

So... If you can give us that context you can get MUCH better answers.

Last edited:

ccs

41st lv DM

1- Fighter 2/Wizard 18

3- Fighter 1/Wizard 19

4- Cleric 1/Wizard 19

5- Cleric 2/Wizard 8

(shrugs) Without any sort of context attached, any of those ideas will be fine. Pick the one you like best.

You didn't mention:
1) What your characters' race is,
2) Your stats,
3) Your background,
4) What school of wizardry you've chosen,
5) Feats you might be considering,
6) What degree of wealth/equipment/magic items you'll have access to,
7) What type of game you expect to be using this character in,
8) Why your looking at adding 1-2 lvs of not-wizard....

9) Any type of backstory - as this is a role-playing game this is kinda important. A pile of 20th lv #s/powers doesn't mean much without the story. So what're you visualizing? Talk to us, tell us a story & let's see what that suggests.

Dausuul

Legend
Lacking context, I would argue for cleric/wizard with no fighter (#4 or #5), because you don't lose any spell slots that way. The extra 6th- and 7th-level slots are a big deal.

But I'm with the others: Context is vastly important here. What are you trying to do?

CTurbo

Explorer
For heavy armor(plate) you're going to either have to be dwarf or have a 15 Str which is going to eat up your point buy in an otherwise useless stat for you. I'd rather go with Half-Plate or even light armor + shield.

We definitely need more info to better answer you though.

Dessert Nomad

Adventurer
Yeah, starting a wizard from level 1 as a cleric/wizard is a good combo since it gives you guidance, armor, and basic healing. But if I was running a game starting at level 20 I think I would just take an abjurer with counterspell as a signature spell and make enemy casters weep.

CTurbo

Explorer
Deep Gnome Warlock 2, Abjuration Wizard 18

Take Svirfneblin Magic feat, Armor of Shadows invocation at Warlock 2, and Shield as Spell Mastery spell. Plan on spamming upcasted Armor of Agathys.

You can cast Nondetection and Mage Armor at will, cast Alarm as a ritual all the time, and use Shield anytime you want.

Infinite Arcane Ward

Remove ads