Help me challenge my 12th level party with hobgobolins!

Poisoned caltrops and punji sticks were pretty common. The simplest form is a botulinum, the toxin from botulism. All you do is stick the caltrops in a sack with some old meat and leave it in the sun for a couple of days. Anyone injured with the tainted caltrops has to make a Fort save or suffer serious impact (d6 dex primary and secondary). Botulism is a paralytic agent and is one of the most toxic substances on the planet; it is more toxic than VX nerve gas. (http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/full/285/8/1059)

The same process could be done with arrows. Sure, there's risk for the hobgoblins but risking a non-life threatening bout of poison vs. the definitely life threatening insertion of steel weapons seems pretty straight forward.

Lord Zardoz

Explorer
Well, using poisoned arrows is nothing new for D&D. If I recall correctly, Dragon Mountain did the same thing, arming the Kobolds that populated the mountain with poisonous arrows. In this case, even if the Hobgoblins can harm themselves with the arrows, the Hobgoblins are a renewable resource. The tricky thing is how to justify mass quantities of poison which the hobgoblins would need to have access to.

I would think that the simple answer would be for the Hobgoblins to have a number of priests of Hiddukel with Alchemy skills combined perhaps with spells for envenoming the weapons.

END COMMUNICATION

Quartz

Hero
If the players decide to not use any sort of stealth, then simply have them roll up new characters. Sorry, but they're toast. Hobgoblins on horses or wargs. Hobgoblins armed with nets - I'll bet their Touch ACs aren't that good. They'll simply be overwhelmed. And you can use the mob or swarm rules.

Lord Zardoz

Explorer
Bumped

Guilberwood said:
Thanks so much guys. These ideas have really opened my mind and I think I’ll be able to throw a real challenge to my party.
This is the sort of thing that makes this community so great….
If other ideas come..post it please…
I’ll let you know how it went..we play on Friday!

Thanks again
Guilberwood

I am very curious to see how this turned out.

END COMMUNICATION

IamTheTest

First Post
I wouldnt try to kill them outright...more toy with them. An interesting concept would be to think of the situation as kobolds in a dungeon. Every X amount of feet the party gets drilled by something relatively petty. However, as this continues it can be a huge drain on resources. With fewer resources a small band of L4 hobs could prove problematic for the party. Worg riders are always pretty cool as well.

jollyninja

First Post
here's what i did in my DL game to make the hobgoblins a lot more dangerous, though my pc's were lev 15 and had arcane and divine magic galore. I designed a special piece of equipment for their scouting patrols. It was a belt with eight chains that looped off the belt to be held by everyone but the central caster the patrols consisted of one level 9-11 favored soul (or mystic from the dl book, i can't remember which i used, even cleric would work), one level 7-9 sorceror, and seven level 5 fighters. the favored soul would stand centrally with the sorceror directly behind him. the fighters would fill out the rest of the 3 square by three square area on a battle mat leaving the favored soul surrounded. the sorceror would cast invisibility sphere to set up the ambush and the favord soul would cast silence. they would wait until they could get at least one fighter on each party member with no more then one attack of opportunity and charge attack with all the fighters having the casters provide cover fire and healing as often as they could. the fighters would attack clear melee threats in two's and casters singly unless the party was small enough for the patrol to double up on arcane casters (i had a lot of players who could only make it half the time). grapple the casters, tie up the melee guys with numbers, little bit of healing, litle bit of arcane damage, nearly wiped the party a couple times even when it was at full force.

the party had been stripped of a good ammount of their equipment before starting out by an army they had the bad fortune of losing to in a war between the solamnics and the knights of neraka so their ac's were fairly low.

also, toss in a few dragonspawn templates to the adventure, acid or fire spitting goblinoids tend to freak out players. nearly wiped the party at level 10 with a pack of 20 goblins with that template.

also, grapple, grapple, grapple, use the assisting character rules to the monster's advantage. one grappling level 5 fighter hobgoblin with 6 others who also hit on their touch attack assisting is a tough roll for any level 12 character to come out on top of. nobody likes getting grappled. even if they don't end up getting hurt, it adds tension.

And i second all that red hand of doom stuff, just ran it in my iron heroes meets forgotten realms game (yes i know the two are almost the antithesis of each other, and no it doesn't really work out all that well but the players are having fun not needing a cleric or wizard in the forgotten realms) and that module makes for some damn tough hobgoblin based enemies, you could get it and just filch the hobgoblin leaders from it.

Remove ads