Help me challenge my 12th level party with hobgobolins!

Guilberwood

First Post
Hi guys,

My Dragonlance group is going to pass trough one of the deadliest areas of the world, and it’s filled with hobgoblins.

When I told them that it was a very dangerous place, and that few came back alive, they surely felt they were safe, after all, “they’re only hobgoblins, what can they do against a 12th level party”…

It’s time for En World to prove them wrong! And there’s no one better to do it…Fellow rat bastards, I’m counting on you!

They party consist of a fighter/ranger/tempest with two axes, a cleric/knight of Solamnia, a fighter/druid and a Monk/Sacred fist.

I should also mention that even though they are 12th level, they are not as powerful as the usual 12 level party. They have almost no access to arcane magic, very few magic items (one ore two, each), and none of them has an optimized character.

They’re going to a valley that runs two mountain chains, and the Hobgoblins keep a constant watch on those who dwell in the valley, looking for caravans to pillage or enemies to kill.

The hobgoblins have a lot of time to prepare, as the party will be easy to spot from a great distance.

That’s where I need your help! Anything goes!

I was thinking of some traps or related things, and some heavy melee, to keep my players alive but thinking “this REALLY IS one of the most dangerous places of Krynn”

I had an idea for some mounted hobgoblins, and I’m not sure which animal will they ride. I wanna get away from the horse/wolf/boar stereotype, and was thinking of something like hyenas or even lions, what do you guys think?

I know I’ll have to give this hobgoblins some classes, and suggestions are welcome in this area too!

Anyway, I guess this is it. If you guys have any doubts I’ll be happy to answer.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Guilberwood

darthkilmor

First Post
Guilberwood said:
They’re going to a valley that runs two mountain chains, and the Hobgoblins keep a constant watch on those who dwell in the valley, looking for caravans to pillage or enemies to kill.

The hobgoblins have a lot of time to prepare, as the party will be easy to spot from a great distance.

That’s where I need your help! Anything goes!

I was thinking of some traps or related things, and some heavy melee, to keep my players alive but thinking “this REALLY IS one of the most dangerous places of Krynn”

I had an idea for some mounted hobgoblins, and I’m not sure which animal will they ride. I wanna get away from the horse/wolf/boar stereotype, and was thinking of something like hyenas or even lions, what do you guys think?

Artillery. Ballista. Lots of mighty composite longbows. With Human-bane arrows. Maybe they have a hobgoblin shaman that's spelled some stone giants and they pummel anything from afar with rocks. Maybe the stone giants just like to kill intruders and the hobgoblins pay them tribute.

Maybe the hobgoblins grow to unusual size, large or even huge. Maybe they unvoluntarily cross-breeded with some trolls and now they have nigh unkillable half-troll shock troops. Or ride on huge fire beetles or soemthing similar that can trample. Or their could just be a party of 12th lvl hobgoblins in charge here.
Possibly even a dam to flood the valley as a last resort kind of thing. :eek:

Or cheese it out Order of the Stick style and have a Lich in charge of all of them :0

pawsplay

Hero
Okay, mounted troops. What's wrong with horses? Big, shaggy warhorses wearing studded leather barding, that is, with chains for reins. The riders are hobgoblins in breastplates, with Hurling Charge, wielding javelins and flails. These guys are supposed to be tough, right? 4th level fighters, with Mounted Combat and maxed out Ride.

When I think "heavy melee," I think of hobgoblins in spiked full plate armor wielding greatswords. 4th level fighters, of course, except their captain, who is fighter 7/blackguard 1 and carries a +1 human bane greatsword named Weepsblood.

You need a big beater... I'm thinking a half-troll barbarian with a heavy flail.

Do you have The Complete Adventurer? Hobgoblin scout/highland stalker. There's your scout leader.

Hobgoblins are organized soldiers in most settings. Give 'em an obvious commander and have them shout orders like "hammer and anvil!"

Alternatively, Eberron hobgoblins are fans of the spiked chain.

6pakofdwarves

First Post
Tactics are VERY important here. They should have easily defensible positions. Attack from higher ground followed by a cavalry charge. Then lead the group into a trap. Do this a few times, have some BIG ballista fire on them. Use flaming oil. Once weakend have the BIG boys attack. Have 3 teams of 1 6th level Fighter and 1 6th level rogue. Go for flanking, using aid another. These guys are lead by an 8th level Cleric with War and Strength domains. Have several smaller valleys leading off the main one, maybe some caves to hide in. Also a place to rest for the PC's. Maybe even have a Wyvern Mounted Hobgoblin sorceror? Maybe have the leader be a Hobgoblin Marshal to bolster low level Hobgoblins some.

bowbe

First Post
I've always been fond of the Hobgoblins riding Dire Boars. An 8-10th level hobgoblin fighter commander on a dire infernal boar makes mince meat out of a lot of parties of up to 11th-12th level with some of his bodyguards being 4th level fighters with composite bows (+2 str bonus) and all the good archery feats.

Full-plate, half-plate, or splint/banded armor depending on the flavor your looking for. Obviously clerics of Maguyblet (or Tahkisis) if its DL setting. Being lawful evil it wouldn't be uncommon to have some hobgoblin wizards, and elite hobgoblin monks of appropriate challenge levels could add some unique flavor.

Run Red hand of Doom. It has hobgoblins who follow dragons, thus its a nice fit for DL setting and has challenging "hobgoblin army" encounters.

Case

DeBracy

First Post
pawsplay said:
Okay, mounted troops. What's wrong with horses? Big, shaggy warhorses wearing studded leather barding, that is, with chains for reins. The riders are hobgoblins in breastplates, with Hurling Charge, wielding javelins and flails. These guys are supposed to be tough, right? 4th level fighters, with Mounted Combat and maxed out Ride.

Yes! I love this idea! Meeting an opposing force like this signals right away that these aren't mere thugs; these are warriors.

Personally I'd love to hit them in the back with Rogues/Scouts with bows and for the "heavy hitter"-role, why not use Ogres?

Infantry with spears on higher ground so that the PCs must face reach weapons if the want to close for melee, with more archers on the hill top? There's no end to the possibilites! ;)

krichaiushii

First Post
I misremember, don't griffins and manticores lair in mountainous and hilly areas?

Also, perhaps the hobgoblins set off avalanches at key points - either to trap or killl trespassers.

Remove ads