• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help me determine spell level for this spell

sunbeam60

First Post
Hi all,

So I got thinking about how a city would handle weapons entering through the gates. I have this idea that a city would, for a hefty fee, cast a spell on a weapon to "mark" it. If someone on the city was hurt/slain by a weapon, a counterpart spell could be cast to determine what weapon did the damage.

A weapon "license" like this would allow you to bring your weapons into the city, as the guards would now feel more certain that they could track potential trouble makers.

However, because I'm crap at determining spell levels, I was wondering what everyone else thinks a spell like this should be. Obviously, it's only really interesting if everyone agrees it's a fairly low level spell, as you could hardly occupy the only high-level mage with this kind of stuff all the time.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

TIA
Bjorn

DarkKestral

First Post
Sounds like a standard Arcane Mark or Mark of Justice spell, depending on how you want to do it. If you want it to have some negative effect if they do lethal damage with the weapon, I'd use Mark of Justice, otherwise, use Arcane Mark, which is a much lower-leveled spell. MoJ is also permanent, so both would be suitable for use in this case without real modification. However, MoJ cannot be used by wizards in the current RAW, though I don't see why it would be particularly unbalancing to give it to them.

RSRD said:
Arcane Mark
Universal
Level: Sor/Wiz 0
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: 0 ft.
Effect: One personal rune or mark, all of which must fit within 1 sq. ft.
Duration: Permanent
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

This spell allows you to inscribe your personal rune or mark, which can consist of no more than six characters. The writing can be visible or invisible. An arcane mark spell enables you to etch the rune upon any substance without harm to the material upon which it is placed. If an invisible mark is made, a detect magic spell causes it to glow and be visible, though not necessarily understandable.

See invisibility, true seeing, a gem of seeing, or a robe of eyes likewise allows the user to see an invisible arcane mark. A read magic spell reveals the words, if any. The mark cannot be dispelled, but it can be removed by the caster or by an erase spell.

If an arcane mark is placed on a living being, normal wear gradually causes the effect to fade in about a month.

Arcane mark must be cast on an object prior to casting instant summons on the same object (see that spell description for details).

RSRD said:
Mark of Justice
Necromancy
Level: Clr 5, Pal 4
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 10 minutes
Range: Touch
Target: Creature touched
Duration: Permanent; see text
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes

You draw an indelible mark on the subject and state some behavior on the part of the subject that will activate the mark. When activated, the mark curses the subject. Typically, you designate some sort of criminal behavior that activates the mark, but you can pick any act you please. The effect of the mark is identical with the effect of bestow curse.

Since this spell takes 10 minutes to cast and involves writing on the target, you can cast it only on a creature that is willing or restrained.

Like the effect of bestow curse, a mark of justice cannot be dispelled, but it can be removed with a break enchantment, limited wish, miracle, remove curse, or wish spell. Remove curse works only if its caster level is equal to or higher than your mark of justice caster level. These restrictions apply regardless of whether the mark has activated.

hanniball

First Post
I'd make it a 1st or 2nd level version of Arcane Mark that lies dormant until the weapon causes damage. Any weapon that has a visible mark (whether through mundane or magical means is up to you) is known to have caused harm to someone.

Remove ads