• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help me make a combat teleporter without psionics

arwenarrowny

First Post
RangerWickett said:
Hey, could someone help me out and tell me whether there actually are any swift action teleport spells? The character concept becomes 17 times less cool if I can never teleport next to someone and full attack (or whirlwind attack).

Knight's Move, from Spell Compendium, is a swift spell with a range of 5 ft./2 levels. The hang-ups are that you must end the move in a square flanking an enemy and that it's a Cleric 3/Paladin 2 spell (I notice your builds seem to be mostly arcane-based). Possible benefits include relaxed armor restrictions and better BAB progression than many arcane-based builds.

szilard

First Post
RangerWickett said:
Eldritch Knight 2
Human Paladin of Freedom 2/Battle Sorcerer 5/Spellsword 1/Eldritch Knight 6

(This one only really works if the DM lets me use the metamagic sorcerer variant in PHB2, and the battle sorcerer in UA, and I'd kinda like to be a chaotic good paladin.)
[sblock]
Str 16, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 11, Cha 20

Feats: Don't know, honestly. I think there's some sort of Paladin feats I could take that would be fun. I'd still want Power Attack and Spring Attack. Anyone know if you can whirlwind attack with a smite?

My caster level is 11, so I can't quicken dimension leap, but I can use a Lesser Metamagic Rod of Quicken. It's quite an investment, but still cheaper than the thing I was going to buy for the Horizon Walker version. I'm able to cast spells in a mithril chain shirt. My base attack bonus is +11/+6/+1.

Compared to the first Eldritch Knight, my HP is a little higher, my saves are a lot higher. [/sblock]

Hmmm... If you toss in a level of Monk and the Ascetic Mage feat and lose the Spellsword+chain shirt, you'll have a better AC without any armor (and you can always toss on Mage Armor or Bracers of Armor for a bigger boost) plus Improved Grapple.

szilard said:
Hmmm... If you toss in a level of Monk and the Ascetic Mage feat and lose the Spellsword+chain shirt, you'll have a better AC without any armor (and you can always toss on Mage Armor or Bracers of Armor for a bigger boost) plus Improved Grapple.

Good idea. Is Ascetic Mage only Charisma, or is it 'primary arcane spellcasting stat' or something like that? I.e., could it work for the first Eldritch Knight build. Only drawback is it'd ruin the quickened dimension leap fun, and . . . you have to be lawful. Stupid alignment system. I guess I could be an ex-monk. Hmm.

szilard

First Post
RangerWickett said:
Good idea. Is Ascetic Mage only Charisma, or is it 'primary arcane spellcasting stat' or something like that? I.e., could it work for the first Eldritch Knight build. Only drawback is it'd ruin the quickened dimension leap fun, and . . . you have to be lawful. Stupid alignment system. I guess I could be an ex-monk. Hmm.

Charisma.

Also, Monk and Sorcerer levels stack for unarmored AC bonuses and... umm... something else.

You'd have an unarmored AC bonus of +6.

-Stuart

Gestalt

First Post
RangerWickett said:
Is Ascetic Mage only Charisma, or is it 'primary arcane spellcasting stat' or something like that?

The Carmendine Monk feat from Champions of Valour works similarly with intelligence. It does something different than stacking wizard and monk levels for AC, though. I think it has something to do with studying your notes to boost a monk ability, but I don't have my books with me right now.

Kafkonia

First Post
RangerWickett said:

For most PrCs, once you take a level in them you have to be an ex-monk anyway. :)

I ended up going with a fairly solid Fighter 1/Conjurer 5/Eldritch Knight 7/Spellsword 1. The GM has a highly overpowered stat generation system (the game started back in 2001, and has been going ever since, so he lets new players use the same rolling method that he allowed back then, even though he knows better now), so my stats are, with items:

Str 24
Dex 16
Con 16
Int 16
Wis 14
Cha 11

HP 87
AC 24 (+7 +3 mithril chain shirt, +3 Dex, +1 natural armor, +2 deflection, +1 luck)
I'm considering getting +2 twilight mithril full-plate instead. I'd end up with a 15% spell failure chance, and I could ignore 10% of that with Spellsword, so I'd only have a 5% spell failure chance. A difference of 3 points of AC, and reducing my speed by 10. Plus 9000 gp or so because mithril fullplate costs more than mithril chain shirt. I don't know if it's worth it.

BAB +11
Atk +22 +4 Greatsword (2d6+14)

Skills - Climb +18, Concentration +20, Jump +33, Knowledge (arcana) +15, Spellcraft +20, Swim +11, Tumble +11.

Feats - Dodge, Mobility, Spring Attack, Combat Expertise, Whirlwind Attack, Power Attack, Arcane Strike (Complete Warrior), Arcane Thesis (dimension leap - PHB 2), Scribe Scroll, Quicken Spell

Items: Boots of Striding and Springing, +3 mithril shirt, +4 greatsword, ring of freedom of movement, handy haversack, ring of protection +2, amulet of natural armor +1, ioun stone of +1 Luck AC, gloves of dexterity +2, belt of strength +4, goggles of night, cloak of resistance +2

My typical spells prepared list will look something like this:

6th - True Seeing, Acid Fog, Summon Monster 6
5th - Storm Touch (Magic of Eberron), Dimension Shuffle, quickened dimension leap x2
4th - Greater Invisibility, Evard's Black Tentacles, Orb of Electricity (SC), Flame Whips (SC)
3rd - Melf's Unicorn Arrow x2 (PHB 2), Lightning Bolt, Regroup (PHB2), Dimension Step (SC) x2
2nd - Wraithstrike (SC) x3*, Rope Trick, Baleful Transposition (SC), Dimension Leap (Magic of Eberron)
1st - True Strike x1, Shield, Benign Transposition (SC) x3, Weapon Shift (SC)

*Yes, he's actually allowing Wraithstrike.

I'll also have a contingent dimension leap ready, which I can use if I say a special word.

So, this should be fun. I look forward to being able to swiftly cast wraithstrike, use my contingent dimension leap to appear amid a group of enemies, dump True Seeing into Arcane Strike, and Power Attack for 11 on a Whirlwind Attack. I'd get a +17 bonus to my attack, it'd be a touch attack, and would deal 2d6+6d4+36 damage.

I hope that's not too weak for a 14th level character.

Last edited:

Iku Rex

Explorer
Have you started playing or can we still make suggestions?

Edit: Nevermind. You were wondering about your armor. Not playing yet then.

Last edited:

Legildur

First Post
RangerWickett said:
.... *Yes, he's actually allowing Wraithstrike.

...So, this should be fun. I look forward to being able to swiftly cast wraithstrike, use my contingent dimension leap to appear amid a group of enemies, dump True Seeing into Arcane Strike, and Power Attack for 11 on a Whirlwind Attack. I'd get a +17 bonus to my attack, it'd be a touch attack, and would deal 2d6+6d4+36 damage.

I hope that's not too weak for a 14th level character.
Unfortunately, if he allows you to have wraithstrike, then that also means that he has wraithstrike....

As for hitting power.... the result is impressive with an average of 58 damage to each creature in reach! But with a relatively low AC and only 87 hit points, I'd have some real concerns about your longevity on the reply.... you'll need to be a little careful.... or increase your survivability with some form of displacement (such as Blur).

Whatever you do, don't forget that you can take a 5ft step in the middle of your Whirlwind Attack to bring more critters within reach.

Remove ads