• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help me optimize my level 8 Vow of Poverty/ PEace Sorcerer

Tidus4444

First Post
Alright, a few house rules here: firstly, my DM has ruled that the metamagic restriction on sorcerers is stupid, and I can use metamagic spells without the full round casting time. The other is that Vow of Peace gives me +4 to all my DCs, period, but at the same time, the vow applies to every living creature, not just humanoids.

In the campaign, the world we're in just got invaded by mind flayer slavers, so I figure I should tool my character to resisting their effects and fighting their thralls. So far, their stunning powers have been particularly annoying, with its huge radius, and due to my poor will save I've been sitting out a great many combats. As a result, I'm quite tempted to take iron will as my next feat, though spell penetration would be useful to beat their spell resistance. Anyway, here is the character:

str: 10
Dex: 12
Con: 14
wis: 10
int: 10
cha: 21

HP: 43
AC: 23 (gotta love the vows!)

Sacred Vow
Voe of Poverty
Vow of Nonviolence
Vow of Peace
nonlethal substitution
Empower Spell

fort: 4
ref: 3
will: 6

Spells per day:
0: 7
1: 8
2: 7
3: 5
4: 4

spells known:
1: Silent Image
Enlarge Person
Color Spray
Magic Missile
Feather Fall
2: Hypnotic Pattern
Invisibility
Glitterdust
3: Haste
Fireball
4: Evard's Black Tentacles

In retrospect, I'm rather displeased with my choice of 4th level spell, and I intend to swap it out soon. In the meanwhile, I hope to pick up improved invisibility (though shadow conjuration looks tempting...) at 4th, and swap my old invisibility for a new spell. I'm thinking either Owl's Wisdom, to increase our party's will saving throws, or bull's strength to make our fighters better. I've also got a dilemma for my next 3rd level spell: I'm inclined to dispel magic, but Fly looks pretty tempting, as does stinking cloud.

prospero63

First Post
Tidus4444 said:
<snip>
AC: 23 (gotta love the vows!)

Sacred Vow
Voe of Poverty
Vow of Nonviolence
Vow of Peace
nonlethal substitution
Empower Spell

<snip>

spells known:
1: Silent Image
Enlarge Person
Color Spray
Magic Missile
Feather Fall
2: Hypnotic Pattern
Invisibility
Glitterdust
3: Haste
Fireball
4: Evard's Black Tentacles

<snip>.

I'm confused. How does magic missile, fireball and evards fit in with a vow of nonviolence and a vow of peace? Even with nonlethal substitution, I'm not sure how that would address more than one (specifically fireball) of the three...

moritheil

First Post
prospero63 said:
I'm confused. How does magic missile, fireball and evards fit in with a vow of nonviolence and a vow of peace? Even with nonlethal substitution, I'm not sure how that would address more than one (specifically fireball) of the three...

Maybe he expected a lot of undead and constructs? :D

It is strange to see no suggestion, dominate, or charm person in a VoP sorc, and no Magic Circle when you're up against mind flayers.

justfisch

First Post
VoPov also gives you an exalted feat at every even level, so you are really short on feats. You should be having tons of battle field control, protection, buff, and illusion spells.

cheers

szilard

First Post
You might want to look at Ruin Delver's Fortune (from the Spell Compendium) as a 4th level option.

Also, consider swapping out some of your nonlethal-substitution spells for some of the Whelm-series of spells from PHBII.

-Stuart

irdeggman

First Post
Tidus4444 said:
at 4th, and swap my old invisibility for a new spell. I'm thinking either Owl's Wisdom, to increase our party's will saving throws, or bull's strength to make our fighters better. I've also got a dilemma for my next 3rd level spell: I'm inclined to dispel magic, but Fly looks pretty tempting, as does stinking cloud.

The swapping spell rules are at 2 levels below that which you can cast.

So at 4th level you can swap out a 0-level spell, 6th a 1st, 8th a 2nd (Invisibility is a 2nd level spell so you can't swap it out until 8th level sorcerer).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads