• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help me roleplay a "3" Wisdom

frankthedm

First Post
Wisdom is a vital stat. Someone with a 3 in the stat either had an overprotective parent or sibling. Without whom, they would be very dead.

3 wisdom is NOT someone to be tolerated in an adventuring party. They may mean well, but well played that wisdom will get someone killed.

Jürgen Hubert

First Post
- If someone tries to explain something important to you, after a while you will say things like "Yes, yes, of course, I understand, you are right" without actually having understood anything.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
GBDeluxe said:
So I figure we're looking at Chaotic Neutral for the alignment with a Wisdom so low.
Just to mention, not necessarily. You could be Lawful Good, be an idealist, and blindly follow the tenets of some devout religion.

Or, alternately, you could be Neutral and just be easily swayed all the time.

Dioltach

Legend
I know someone whom I would stat as having WIS 3 (and a higher than average INT). She has spent her whole life avoiding responsibility, has never had a job (she's in her mid-30s), always blames everyone else for everything that's wrong with her life, always needs to be the centre of attention, doesn't have the attention span to watch an episode of something like CSI, causes problems for others just to make her own life more interesting because she constantly needs drama in her life, is a hypochondriac, storms out if anyone dares to criticize her, and calls everyone she doesn't like a 'fat ugly pig'.

Amazingly, when she wants, she can be the most charming person you're ever likely to encounter.

(Note that I'm only saying that this is one possible way of playing WIS 3, not the only way.)

Dioltach

Legend
Or there's Cat from Red Dwarf, who always struck me as having an extremely low WIS:

Lister: Cat, hit the reheats!
Cat: You don't have to tell me twice!
[Pause]
Lister: Cat, the reheats!
Cat: Oh sorry, I guess you do have to tell me twice ...

Or there's the episode with the Inquisitor:
Inquisitor: Justify your existence!
Cat: I've delighted millions with the sight of my butt.
Inquisitor: That's it?
Cat: You want more?!
Inquisitor: Some might say that's a pretty shallow argument ...
Cat: Some might say I'm a pretty shallow guy. But a shallow guy with a great butt!

pawsplay

Hero
Wis 3 can certainly be played as LN. Always do things the same way; anyone who tries to get you to do otherwise is just trying to confuse you. You are always right, and when things don't go your way, it's because someone else didn't do it right.

Wis 3 and CE "I keeel you!!! HAHAHA!"

Wis 3 and NE: "I got tired of arguing with the innkeep over the room price, so I killed him. So, anyway, where to this afternoon?"

Wis 3 and LE: "I do as the master commands." "I serve your master as well. "Oh, ok, then."

etc

Wraith Form

Explorer
+5 Keyboard! said:
The best real life example for me, being a parent, is the behavior of toddlers (1 to 3 years old). If you’re a parent of a toddler, just watch how they behave and try to emulate that in your game. If you have family with toddlers, go and observe their children in action.

At any rate, a low wisdom can mean any or all of the following:

Extremely gullible to a fault (Will always get suckered into a con, will always believe what someone tells them, takes peoples’ words literally - “Wow! It’s raining cats and dogs out there!” “Really?! Oh my gosh! Kitties & puppies! Lemme see!”

Never learns from mistakes (Someone hands him a hot plate he will touch it and say “Ow!” and a moment later he may do the same thing again, “Ow!” ... repeatedly until the plate cools. Think of a toddler that keeps climbing on furniture, falling, and getting hurt. After a good cry, they’re back at it minutes later.)

Impulsive (He thinks it, he does it; he thinks it, he says it. Learn to say “Mine!” a LOT.)

Has only a rudimentary concept of his own mortality (Will take extremely dangerous risks that he doesn’t comprehend as such. Sometimes he does things most people will see as suicidal and probably will be if he doesn’t have allies around to keep him from getting himself killed.)

Overly trusting (Believes everything he’s told and only catches on after repeated lessons to teach him not to trust everyone. Even then, he forgets everything he’s learned the next time the issue comes up.)

Weak-minded (Yes, we know that his Will save is going to suck, but it goes beyond that. He is the most likely to agree with whatever someone is saying or take advice/instructions to heart whether good or bad. Don’t mix this up with Charisma. He definitely has a sense of self and a good self image, but he is just incapable of thinking much for himself)

A good example from pop culture is Rain Man or Homer Simpson or even Barney Gumble, the drunk. Another is Deedee from Dexter’s Laboratory (his annoying, impulsive sister, “What’s this do? What’s this do? What’s this do?). Kelso from That 70s Show.
Q f T. Basically, everything I was thinking.

Oh, and beware of that pesky evil guy: what he says to you, sounds reasonable. VERY reasonable.

Last edited:

sckeener

First Post
Another option is to play like the wisdom of 3 is a new thing...maybe he got hit on the head or something....thus explain why he survived youth.

I was also wondering if a wisdom 3 could be Dexter from the Showtime tv series....I mean could he be a serial killer who fakes emotions (wisdom) to survive? If he is smart enough I assume he could fake a wisdom...he just wouldn't actually have it and sometimes things would just confuse him on why people didn't behave the way he predicted...

Remove ads