• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help me roleplay a "3" Wisdom

DreadArchon

First Post
Three? Three?

Easy, actually: Don't pay any attention to what's going on in-game. When the DM asks for an action, give it to him, but make sure that you're not paying attention to the game between action requests.

Finster

First Post
When playing a 1ed game a few years ago I rolled a character with a 6 WIS, and a 17 INT.

I basically played him as Rain Man. An autistic idiot savant that was gifted in Arcane magic, but had the common sense of a turnip. He followed the most charismatic PC around like a puppy, and basically did as he was told by the other PCs to the best of his limited capacity. He was almost useless in most situations that required judgment, but was the PC that solved nearly every logical conundrum and math problem easily and efficiently.

It seems that a 3 WIS would be difficult to reconcile with a thief, as it would limit their perception, an attribute crucial in their chosen field.

Perhaps your theif is quite comfortable with mechanical and magical devices, but is utterly unable to connect with anything outside of his area of expertise. He may completely disassemble a trap and put it right back together without telling his companions. His sense of self would be very basic. His sense of others would be severely impared. (eg mirrors confuse him greatly) He moves quietly and carefully not to sneak, but because the extra noise bothers him. He pick-pockets because he sees something he wants to look at/touch, plain and simple. Then will drop it on the ground when he loses interest.

Just some ideas.

sckeener

First Post
Imp said:
Attention deficit disorder. A wildly & inappropriately overactive imagination. Absolutely no sense of cause and effect. Completely irresponsible.

I agree that Gir from Invader Zim is a good model, but he's not very smart, either. Calvin from Calvin & Hobbes is maybe better – I don't think he's quite a 3, but he's definitely above average in INT, so...

agreed.

Since Int, Wis, and Chr all kind of over lap a bit it is going to be hard to separate the facets that you'll have to play with a Wis 3.

He's not going to have common sense is what it boils down to...he's not going to know when something is inappropriate to do...whether it is thieving or picking his nose.

He'll be the guy with no tact...now whether he says it in a way that is intelligent or forgivable will depend on his Int and Cha.

What people say is the truth. He's not going to understand sarcasm or lies. he'd be great at coming up with ideas...say a con job...horrible in its execution.

I think it would be best if he teamed up with someone that helped him in a parental way.

I think the Calvin and Hobes description is best....I'd suggest having the character come up with plans and not understand how they could go wrong....

In Pinky & the Brain, Brain might be another low wis/high Int....with Pinky the opposite...

Particle_Man

Explorer
I would go with Impulse from the old Young Justice comics (and his own short-lived title). This would be before he became Kid Flash, much less The Flash. Good old Bart Allen.

Homer Simpson might not be as good a model, simply because Homer has low Wis *and* low Int. In fact, he might not be a legal 1st ed. character since I bet both ability scores are below 6. :)

I haven't read the whole thread, but I'll give my two cents.

If you have 3 wisdom, you'd be lucky to survive third grade on your own, to say nothing of killing monsters and exploring dungeons. Make him attached to one of the other players, who is forced to constantly pull him out of messes. They could be related or close childhood friends, or the other player may have something to gain.

Another idea that might not have been mentioned: He could be a hardcore conspiracy theorist so wrapped up in his paranoid worldview that he doesn't trust anything or anyone. For example, he might think the government is controlled by a cabal of illithids or a secret liberal elf agenda. The friendly farmer who waves to him could be a spy, and must be dealt with very carefully...

AnonymousOne

First Post
Hmm well if you have a good intelligence score I think you are driven to two types of characters with a low wis score.

Cartman from Southpark - Master manipulator, but completely lacking in common sense. Sees conspiracies where they don't exist and misses others that do. Takes credit for crazy absurd things. Try and accomplish ridiculous things.

A amature philosopher - very smart, but always have your head in the clouds.

Brain

First Post
GBDeluxe said:
This is the deal. Rolling up characters for a 1e campaign, using the "roll 4 dice, drop the lowest" for the abilities... I roll 4 freaking ones. What are the odds of that? Like... 1 in 1296? Anyway, since it was such an interesting roll... I decided to keep it and roleplay the disability.

Since it's 1e, having such a low ability score in any category automatically limits you. Since I didn't want to do the "low strength / high intelligence" frail mage or the "high strength / low intelligence" brute fighter... I opted for Thief. This requires the low ability in Wisdom.

I want to really play this character well - but I don't want it to become: a) comic relief, b) a total liability on the party (on myself, well I accept that, but I'm not looking the kill the character before level 2).

So I figure we're looking at Chaotic Neutral for the alignment with a Wisdom so low.

But a "3" is damn low... we're talking a tad above a gelatinous cube. It's certainly not simply explained by "careless attitude"... I would figure something would seriously have to be wrong with the character to have such a low score. Perhaps he has aspergers / autism? It seems it would almost go beyond being "suicidal" in nature.

So... what would a character with a 3 in Wisdom be like? What could explain it?

I played a character with a 3 wisdom, and he started play having just escaped an asylum. He was developmentally delayed and had some autistic tendencies. We were playing an all-halfling campaign, and his subrace of halflings looks like human children. He actually thought he was a human child, and didn't understand that he was an adult, even though he was over 20 years old. His name was Timothy, and whenever anybody called him "Timmy" it triggered him to sit down and cry, and grab his knees to his chest and start rocking back and forth. He was also extremely gullible and naive, but also very pure of heart and intention. He had a medium-high intelligence, so he could know facts and such, and sometimes came up with good ideas for completely the wrong reason, using spurious logic. This character was a really fun (although frustrating sometimes) to roleplay, and has a special place in the hearts of my roleplaying group.

Here's a link if you want to read about Timothy and his adventures.

Last edited:

pawsplay

Hero
CN and Wis 3? You have no idea what's going on. But you muddle on through pure moxy. If someone says, "There's an ogre behind you!" you respond with ... "Is he holding a weapon?" or "What variety of ogre?" Or you draw your dagger and attack, belatedly realizing you're not wearing armor, you don't know if it's attacking you, and you probably can't take one alone. You can't Sense Motive effectively, so you tend to be naively trusting... however, if something trips you off that you are being fooled, you become intensely paranoid since you have no way of gauging how badly, and start considering wild theories as to what's really going on. No one EVER asks you to stand watch. Even though you have an alignment, you don't really understand them, and have a hard time really getting how a cleric is different from a wizard, or conversely, from "a god's friend." If you have extensive knowledge on a subject, you have no idea how to apply it intuitively; for instance, you might imagine you have the Feat Stunning Fist even though you do not, and could probably never learn it effectively.

In fact, you probably have no idea what you're good at or bad at. You have trouble telling voices in your head from your own ideas. You forget to pay attention to landmarks and typically get lost a lot. If surprised, you tend to react uselessly; being CN, this probably means doing something rather impulsive.

Holding down a regular job is essentially impossible. You can't even be trusted to shovel manure, since you might have a really bad idea and try to implement it, or simply forget to work unless constantly reminded. On the plus side, you're probably an excellent lackey, since you probably don't notice what time it is most of the time and might work well into the night without noticing it, and probably can't gauge if you're being fairly paid for your experience.

trollwad

First Post
The abominable snowman in bugs bunny. Drrrrr, which way did he go, which way did he go, did anyone see my little cleric of rao. I want to hug him and squeeze him and call him george

Remove ads