• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help me tweak my Barbarian

dontpunkme

First Post
So I'm playing a Minotaur (kind of Krynnish, but not quite) Barbarian in my current game. We're 9th level. I currently have the following feats:
Power Attack
Cleave
Ex Weapon Prof: Mercurial Great Sword
Monkey Grip
Extend Rage
Imp Critical

I took 2 flaws: Shaky and Eye Patch (home-brewed flaw, we're in a pirate campaign).
I only took Imp Crit at 9th because I had no better option (I mulled over Mad Foam Rager (PHB2) and Leap Attack (CAd), but decided against both). So my question is other than possibly Great Cleave are there any cool feats left. I have zero interest in Extra Rage or Destructive Rage (like all wise DMs, mine barred the Frenzied Bezerker the moment I mentioned Barbarian). The DM allows any WoTC feat. Any help with Dragon or Dungeon magazine feats would be especially appreciated as I never subscribed.

Jack99

Adventurer
Shock Trooper or Leap attack come to mind in order to improve what your barbarian does best.

I don't remember the pre-reqs for ST, though.

Slaved

First Post
If you are allowed feats from the Book of Nine Swords then you could take Martial Study at level 9 to pick up the Charging Minotaur maneuver. This would allow you to use the maneuver once per combat and get balance as a class skill. At level 12 you can take the feat Martial Stance and get Roots of the Mountain.

Using the first you get to make a charging bull rush that deals damage and provokes no attacks of opportunity from your movement from anyone while the second makes you nearly invulnerable to bull rush, overrun, trip, grapples, and tumblers along with giving damage reduction.

Kat'

First Post
Just a question... how do you get so many Feats as a Barbarian? A CL 9 Minotaur Barbarian (meaning 6 Racial HD and 3 Barbarian levels) would only get 4 feats.

Darklone

Simple but effective: Weapon Focus.

And have another look at Mad Foam Rager. It's one of the best feats out there.

Kat'

First Post
Darklone said:
Simple but effective: Weapon Focus.

That was a joke, right?

I'd suggest that you take a closer look at Leap Attack. Then at Shock Trooper, particularly the Heedless Charge maneuver. Then think about the combination of both. 4x your BAB as a damage bonus on each attack of a leaping charge (you took Lion Totem Barbarian, didn't you? if not, talk to your DM) with no penalty to the attack roll? Yes, please. Shock Trooper has Improved Sunder as a prerequisite, which is now as good as it was meant to be due to the errata in Rules Compendium. And I'd suggest you drop your three last feats for this. Take Imp. Critical later on, the other two are IMO not worth it.

dontpunkme

First Post
The Minotaur actually has no level adjust. Its an extremely toned down version. The horns have actually only proved useful once when I was grappled (read getting chomped on ) by a t-rex and delivered the killing blow (it only had like 6 hp left). I should probably mention DM is strictly against Bo9S. I looked at the Lion Totem when I made my character, but knowing the DMs love of flanking and my general recklessness with melee characters avoided it.

And I don't see how Shock Trooper (we're both talking about the tactical feat from CW, right) would give me that type of bonus with Leap Attack. And I thought shock troopers prereq was Imp Bull Rush.

Lord Zardoz

Explorer
Sunder may be a decent choice if you fight a reliable number of opponents using weapons. If you have reach due to size, Combat Reflexes will help you out a great deal.

However, at this point you may want to consider taking feats that compensate for your weaknesses rather than exploit your strengths. You have what probably amounts to an insane Str bonus, so you may want to take Combat Expertise. You cannot use it while raging, but it will give you a new option. And Iron Will, while not at all a 'Sexy' feat, does help if your DM likes hitting you with Will Save spells.

END COMMUNICATION

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads