• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help my Asn/ BG

Demoquin

First Post
I asked my DM to change my char in the game, as i felt that it wasnt what i was playing.

So, he likes the concept of what i have planned and may be interesting to his story plot.

What i had was Lvl 9 NE Human Bard 4 SWA 3 ASN 1 SD 1
Stats are 14 19 10 18 12 16
Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Weapon Finesse (free), Mobility, Spring Attack, and Staggering Strike

Ok what i have planned is Bard 5 ASN 1 BG 3
21 AC
43 HP
Fort 6 Reflex 15 WIll 8

If i can change around the stats (somewhat) what would you assign?
Power Attack, Cleave, Imp Sunder, Ability Focus Death Attack and 1 other feat which i could use help on. I was thinking of Leadership, maybe you can give me some pointers on that. My rep would be 12

Some questions on the BG abilities, Smite Good does that add BG lvls to damage or char lvl?
Command Undead does that allow it any times per day? It doesnt say otherwise.

Could i use the Aura of Despair to help reduce the Fort save vs the Death Attack?

Is Sense Motive really needed? i think it is a skill that the party face would need to have but there is so many other skills that i wanted to have.

Skills after mods

Bluff 10
Diplo 17
Disg 9
Gather 6
Hide 14
Intim 15
Jump 13 (Boots of Spring and Juming, No ranks)
Knowledge History and Local 9
Planes and Arcana 5
Religion 6
Listen 7
Move Sil 14
Perform Wind 13 (Pipes of Sounding does that add a +2 since it is magicval)
Search 8
Sleight of Hand 9 (no ranks)
Spot 7
Tumble 14
UMD 11

FEADIN

Explorer
Smite Good (Su)
Once a day, a blackguard of 2nd level or higher may attempt to smite good with one normal melee attack.

He adds his Charisma modifier (if positive) to his attack roll and deals 1 extra point of damage per class level. If a blackguard accidentally smites a creature that is not good, the smite has no effect but it is still used up for that day.

At 5th level, and again at 10th level, a blackguard may smite good one additional time per day.

Aura of Despair (Su)
Beginning at 3rd level, the blackguard radiates a malign aura that causes enemies within 10 feet of him to take a -2 penalty on all saving throws.

Command Undead (Su)
When a blackguard reaches 3rd level, he gains the supernatural ability to command and rebuke undead. He commands undead as would a cleric of two levels lower.

So: Cleric:
A cleric may attempt to turn undead a number of times per day equal to 3 + his Charisma modifier. A cleric with 5 or more ranks in Knowledge (religion) gets a +2 bonus on turning checks against undead.

Faerl'Elghinn

First Post
Can you change your ability scores around? 10 Con is rough. I'd rather have a Barbarian with 10 Strength than anything with 10 Con. Barring that, I'd take Improved Toughness and/or get bracers of health ASAP at the very least. Otherwise, you're not likely to survive long with 43 hit points at 9th level--a Stone Giant (or even a mob of Ogres) will flatten you in 1-2 rounds, especially with only 21 AC.

Demoquin

First Post
Heh, i know all about the ogre squads and Hill Giants, but surprisingly enough i always manage. With the new setup i am hoping not to enter combat at all. With a DC 17 Death attack on top of a -2 ST i dont think much will make it, unless they are lucky.

MarkB

Legend
Demoquin said:
Heh, i know all about the ogre squads and Hill Giants, but surprisingly enough i always manage. With the new setup i am hoping not to enter combat at all. With a DC 17 Death attack on top of a -2 ST i dont think much will make it, unless they are lucky.
Do you always face enemies singly? If not, your Death Attack doesn't prevent combat, merely thins the numbers.

And an effective DC 19 (including the penalty) Fortitude save is not something that you can expect CR9 opponents to fail routinely. Many will have save bonuses in double figures, giving them a better-than-even chance of succeeding.

hanniball

First Post
First of all, Bard 5/Ass 1 does not meet the +6 BAB requirement of Blackguard.

Second, the feat requirements for Blackguard are rather counterproductive to just about any Assassin build. Your BAB takes a hit from Bard and Assassin, lowering the effectiveness of Power Attack and your likely going to have a lower strength score than the average BG, reducing the usefulness of Improved Sunder. I'd strongly recommend more Assassin levels over Blackguard levels in this type of build.

Being that this character has already seen play, I'm guessing the likelyhood of dropping Bard levels altogether is out of the question. I just can't see a Bard being an Assassin what with the singing and all. Not only that, but Rogue produces a much higher damage output when sneak attack is triggered.

I'd recommend the following for a 9th level Bard/Assassin:

Bard 3/Rog 3/Assassin 3

Feats: TWF (1), Improved Initiative (Human), Weapon Finesse (3), Telling Blow (6), Ability Focus: Death Attack (9).

Stats: Str 12 Dex 19 Con 14 Int 18 Wis 10 Cha 16

If you're willing to swap the Bard levels for Rogue your offensive capabilities will be much more viable. Also, you can generate a very impressive Death Attack DC by mixing Assassin with the Telflammar Shadowlord Prc (UE), but it requires a few feats so a Fighter dip would be in order.

Rog 3/Ftr 2/Assassin 9/Telflammar Shadowlord 6 with Ability Focus: Death Attack and an Assassin's Dagger has a Death Attack DC of 28+Int. Not too shabby.

Either way...just my 2 cp

Demoquin

First Post
Yes i realize that Rogue would have been better in the begining but i dont want to lose the Bard lvls. I picture this type of assassin as the one of those pretty faces with a dagger in his sleeve. Sure Bards have the perform skill but it can be of anything, music, oratory, comedy, story telling and what not. I chose a music skill as if there is a chance that my mark is paying attention, i can observe him for the 3 rounds easily.

I am mostly adding BG for the saves boost, Aura of Despair and the BAB it grants. I know that a higher STR would be needed but i can maybe get an item that would grant a bonus. At the moment i have a greatsword +3 so it will have to do for now. Should be easy to sunder most things.

I am thinking for a final build of Bard 6 Asn 9 BG 5. That way i get a decent SA, and HIPS (later on). My Death Attack DC would be 25, with a -2 on their save.

Thank you on the Telling Blow feat, i kinda forgot about it. Maybe i can swing it by the DM, as we dont have the PH2.

Remove ads