• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Help Needed to Balance Doppelganger Variants

ghabrel

First Post
Alright, so first, a little bit of context. I'm planning a D&D campaign set in my own world with its own lore (although some old lore has been carried over, some of which is relevant). The world is old and the civilizations of the various races have either fallen, are on the brink of collapse, or are holding on by a single thread. Human civilization falls into the last category: there is a fair number of scattered villages, but they are small, completely unorganized, and poorly defended. There exists only one true settlement in this part of the world, and it is the center of the campaign.

Alright, I'm getting too much off-track. To the point. There are extensive secret tunnels beneath this settlement. It is believed that the builders obviously had a full map of the tunnels, but the current ruler is now only familiar with a small area of them, and there are rumors that unknown groups have continued the excavation of these tunnels after they were officially completed. The group in question is the ragged remains of a dark, religious cult of an ancient human civilization that was thought to have died out hundreds of years ago: the Cult of Vecna. The last recorded activities of the Cult were focused on the last manifestation of the Voice of Vecna (I haven't decided on an actual name yet, but he's the big bad, commonly referred to in frightened whispers by the few that remember the stories as the Dark One [super original, right?]). One of his most infamous achievements was the subdual, slaying, and subsequent raising (do I need to mention he was a necromancer?) of a powerful dragon. It is deeply buried in ancient texts, but the dragon's name is known: Jalanvaloss (dragon listed in Draconomicon 2, although I'm saying she [he?] is silver instead of steel, still a shapeshifter: https://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/16piih/wereare_there_any_famous_and_named_dragons_in/).

The Voice's choice brought a boon to the Cult: the resulting dracolich was able to sire a race of evil shapechangers bound to the will of Vecna. They have mental capabilities similar to or exceeding human standards. There were 3 variants: small, almost beast-like Skinchangers; human-sized Skinwalkers (essentially replaces the Doppelganger book entry); and large, terrifying Skinflayers. Thanks to their exceptional abilities to infiltrate human society (or perhaps any society?), they were able to survive the supposed fall of the Cult following the defeat of the Voice and his dracolich and survive in the population through the fall of that civilization and the rise of this last shadow of humanity.

So, finally, to the statblocks. I started with the small ones, trying to design them to be confronted in large numbers by level 12 PCs (oh, did I mention the PC group numbers 10? yeah, that's something to consider...). I think I did a good job of keeping them in their Challenge Rating... until I got to abilities and attacks. First, let me be clear: I like the abilities I have for them, regardless of how absurdly many of them there are. Second, I like the theme of their attacks, you know, really agile, scrappy, and just want to mess with you any way they know how. Third, and last, the Devour Intellect and Psychic Drain abilities are more for isolated target lore purposes; drain the knowledge of a target to learn their secrets.

So with all that said, if you guys haven't tl;dr'd me yet and wouldn't mind helping me balance them, here are the 3 monsters I made from the Doppelganger entry on pg82 of the Monster Manual:

Labyrinth Skinchanger
Small Monstrosity (Shapechanger) CR 3 (700 XP)
AC 15 HP 100 (18d6 + 36) Spd. 40’
-----Attributes-----
Str 11 (+0) Dex 20 (+5) Con 12 (+1)
Int 13 (+1) Wis 14 (+2) Cha 16 (+3)
-----Abilities-----
Skills Acrobatics +6, Athletics +3, Deception +4, Insight +4, Perception +3, Sleight of Hand +5, Stealth +7
Condition Immunities charmed
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 15
Languages Common
Armor None
-----Special Abilities-----
Ambusher The skinchanger has advantage on attack rolls against any creature it has surprised.
Assassinate Any hit the skinchanger scores against a surprised creature is a critical hit.
Avoidance The skinchanger takes no damage from effects that allow a saving throw if it succeeds, and half damage if it fails.
Chameleon Skin When making Dexterity (Stealth) checks, the skinchanger has advantage.
Change Shape The skinchanger magically polymorphs into a humanoid or beast that is medium or smaller, even a specific one if it has been seen before, or back into its true form. The skinchanger adopts the attributes, characteristics, and actions of the target it polymorphed into. It reverts to its true form if it dies.
Charm The skinchanger targets one humanoid it can see within 30 feet of it. If the target can see it, the target must succeed on a DC 13 Wisdom saving throw against this magic or be charmed by the skinchanger. The charmed target regards the skinchanger as a trusted friend to be heeded and protected. Although the target isn’t under the skinchanger’s control, it takes the its requests or actions in the most favorable way it can, and it is a willing target for the its bite attack. Each time the skinchanger or one of its companions do anything harmful to the target, it can repeat the saving throw, ending the effect on itself on a success. Otherwise, the effect lasts 24 hours or until the skinchanger is destroyed, is on a different plane of existence than the target, or takes a bonus action to end the effect.
Devour Intellect The skinchanger targets one charmed and subdued creature it can see within 5 feet of it that has a brain. The target must succeed on a DC 15 Intelligence saving throw against this magic or take 11 (2d10) psychic damage. Also on a failure, roll 3d6: If the total equals or exceeds the target's Intelligence score, that score is reduced to 0. The target is stunned until it regains at least one point of Intelligence.
Leap If the skinchanger jumps at least 20 feet as part of its movement, it can then use this action to land on its feet in a space that contains one or more other creatures. Each of those creatures must succeed on a DC 14 Strength or Dexterity saving throw (target’s choice) or be knocked prone and take 7 (2d4 + 2) bludgeoning damage plus 7 (2d4 + 2) slashing damage. On a successful save, the creature takes only half the damage, isn’t knocked prone, and is pushed 5 feet out of the skinchanger’s space into an unoccupied space of the creature’s choice. If no unoccupied space is within range, the creature instead falls prone in the skinchanger’s space.
Mimicry The skinchanger can mimic animal sounds and humanoid voices. A creature that hears the sounds can tell they are imitations with a successful DC 14 Wisdom (Insight) check.
Naturally Stealthy The skinchanger can attempt to hide even when its obscured only by a creature that is at least one size larger than it.
Nimble Escape: The shapechanger may take Disengage or Hide actions as bonus action on each of its turns.
Pack Tactics The skinchanger has advantage on an attack roll against a creature if at least one of its allies is within 5 feet of it and the ally isn’t incapacitated.
Pounce If the skinchanger moves at least 20 feet straight toward a creature and then hits it with a claw attack on the same turn, that target must succeed on a DC 14 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone. If the target is prone, the skinchanger can make one attack of any type against it as a bonus action.
Reactive The skinchanger can take one reaction on every turn in a combat.
Shadow Stealth While in dim light or darkness, the skinchanger can take the Hide action as a bonus action.
Slippery The skinchanger has advantage on saves and ability checks when escaping a grapple.
Sneak Attack Once per turn, the skinchanger may deal an extra 10 (3d6) damage when it hits a target with an attack roll that it has advantage on.
Spider Climb The skinchanger can climb difficult surfaces, including upside down on ceilings, without needing to make an ability check.
Standing Leap The skinchanger’s long jump is up to 40 feet and its high jump is up to 20 feet, with or without a running start.
Sure-Footed Against effects that would knock it prone, the skinchanger has advantage on Strength or Dexterity checks.
Weird Insight The skinchanger targets one creature it can see within 30 feet of it. The target must contest its Charisma (Deception) check against the skinchanger's Wisdom (Insight) check. If the skinchanger wins, it magically learns one fact or secret about the target. The target automatically wins if it is immune to being charmed.
-----Actions-----
Multiattack: The skinchanger makes a bite and a claw attack.
Bite (Melee): +6, 5’, one target.
Hit: 10 (4d4) piercing damage.
Claw (Melee): +6, 5’, one target.
Hit: 9 (2d8) slashing damage.
Kick (Melee): +6, 5’, one target.
Hit: 14 (4d6) bludgeoning damage, and the target must pass a DC 15 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone and pushed back 5 feet.
Read Thoughts: The skinchanger magically reads the surface thoughts of one creature within 60 feet of it. The effect can penetrate barriers, but 3 feet of wood or dirt, 2 feet of stone, 2 inches of metal, or a thin sheet of lead blocks it. While the target is in range the skinchanger can continue reading its thoughts, as long as the doppelganger's concentration isn't broken (as if concentrating on a spell). While reading the target's mind, the skinchanger has advantage on Wisdom (Insight) and Charisma (Deception, Intimidation, and Persuasion) checks against the target.
Tail Sweep (Melee): +6, 5’, one or two targets.
Hit: 5 (2d4) bludgeoning damage, and the target(s) must pass a DC 13 Strength or Dexterity saving throw (target’s choice) or be knocked prone.

Labyrinth Skinwalker
Medium Monstrosity (Shapechanger) CR 5 (1,800 XP)
AC 13 HP 114 (16d8 + 42) Spd. 30’
-----Attributes-----
Str 15 (+2) Dex 17 (+3) Con 14 (+2)
Int 15 (+2) Wis 16 (+3) Cha 18 (+4)
-----Abilities-----
Skills Athletics +5, Deception +6, Insight +5, Perception +4, Sleight of Hand +2, Stealth +5
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 17
Languages Common
Armor None
Ambusher The skinwalker has advantage on attack rolls against any creature it has surprised.
Assassinate Any hit the skinwalker scores against a surprised creature is a critical hit.
Chameleon Skin When making Dexterity (Stealth) checks, the skincwalker has advantage.
Change Shape The skinwalker magically polymorphs into a humanoid that is medium or smaller, even a specific one if it has been seen before, or back into its true form. The skinwalker adopts the attributes, characteristics, and actions of the target it polymorphed into. It reverts to its true form if it dies.
Charm The skinwalker targets one humanoid it can see within 30 feet of it. If the target can see it, the target must succeed on a DC 15 Wisdom saving throw against this magic or be charmed by the skinwalker. The charmed target regards the skinwalker as a trusted friend to be heeded and protected. Although the target isn’t under the skincwalker’s control, it takes the its requests or actions in the most favorable way it can, and it is a willing target for the its bite attack. Each time the skinwalker or one of its companions do anything harmful to the target, it can repeat the saving throw, ending the effect on itself on a success. Otherwise, the effect lasts 24 hours or until the skinwalker is destroyed, is on a different plane of existence than the target, or takes a bonus action to end the effect.
Devour Intellect The skinwalker targets one charmed and subdued creature it can see within 5 feet of it that has a brain. The target must succeed on a DC 16 Intelligence saving throw against this magic or take 11 (2d10) psychic damage. Also on a failure, roll 3d6: If the total equals or exceeds the target's Intelligence score, that score is reduced to 0. The target is stunned until it regains at least one point of Intelligence.
Mimicry The skinwalker can mimic animal sounds and humanoid voices. A creature that hears the sounds can tell they are imitations with a successful DC 15 Wisdom (Insight) check.
Naturally Stealthy The skinwalker can attempt to hide even when its obscured only by a creature that is at least one size larger than it.
Pack Tactics The skinwalker has advantage on an attack roll against a creature if at least one of its allies is within 5 feet of it and the ally isn’t incapacitated.
Pounce If the skinwalker moves at least 20 feet straight toward a creature and then hits it with a claw attack on the same turn, that target must succeed on a DC 16 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone. If the target is prone, the skinwalker can make one attack of any type against it as a bonus action.
Psychic Drain One creature charmed, subdued, and stunned with Devour Intellect by the skinwalker takes 10 (3d6) psychic damage, and the skinwalker regains hit points equal to the damage the creature takes.
Reactive The skinwalker can take one reaction on every turn in a combat.
Shadow Stealth While in dim light or darkness, the skinwalker can take the Hide action as a bonus action.
Slippery The skinwalker has advantage on saves and ability checks when escaping a grapple.
Weird Insight The skinwalker targets one creature it can see within 30 feet of it. The target must contest its Charisma (Deception) check against the skinwalker's Wisdom (Insight) check. If the skinwalker wins, it magically learns one fact or secret about the target. The target automatically wins if it is immune to being charmed.
-----Actions-----
Multiattack: The skinwalker makes two claw attacks.
Claw (Melee): +9, 5’, one target.
Hit: 20 (4d8 + 2) slashing damage.
Read Thoughts: The skinwalker magically reads the surface thoughts of one creature within 60 feet of it. The effect can penetrate barriers, but 3 feet of wood or dirt, 2 feet of stone, 2 inches of metal, or a thin sheet of lead blocks it. While the target is in range the skinwalker can continue reading its thoughts, as long as the doppelganger's concentration isn't broken (as if concentrating on a spell). While reading the target's mind, the skinwalker has advantage on Wisdom (Insight) and Charisma (Deception, Intimidation, and Persuasion) checks against the target.

Labyrinth Skinflayer
Large Monstrosity (Shapechanger) CR 8 (3,900 XP)
AC 15 HP 114 (16d8 + 42) Spd. 20’
-----Attributes-----
Str 19 (+4) Dex 17 (+3) Con 14 (+2)
Int 16 (+3) Wis 18 (+4) Cha 20 (+5)
-----Abilities-----
Skills Athletics +7, Deception +8, Insight +7, Perception +6, Stealth +3
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 20
Languages Common
Armor None
Chameleon Skin When making Dexterity (Stealth) checks, the skinflayer has advantage.
Change Shape The skinflayer magically polymorphs into a humanoid that is large or smaller, even a specific one if it has been seen before, or back into its true form. The skinflayer adopts the attributes, characteristics, and actions of the target it polymorphed into. It reverts to its true form if it dies.
Charm The skinflayer targets one humanoid it can see within 30 feet of it. If the target can see it, the target must succeed on a DC 18 Wisdom saving throw against this magic or be charmed by the skinflayer. The charmed target regards the skinflayer as a trusted friend to be heeded and protected. Although the target isn’t under the skinflayer’s control, it takes the its requests or actions in the most favorable way it can, and it is a willing target for the its bite attack. Each time the skinwalker or one of its companions do anything harmful to the target, it can repeat the saving throw, ending the effect on itself on a success. Otherwise, the effect lasts 24 hours or until the skinflayer is destroyed, is on a different plane of existence than the target, or takes a bonus action to end the effect.
Devour Intellect The skinflayer targets one charmed and subdued creature it can see within 5 feet of it that has a brain. The target must succeed on a DC 19 Intelligence saving throw against this magic or take 11 (2d10) psychic damage. Also on a failure, roll 3d6: If the total equals or exceeds the target's Intelligence score, that score is reduced to 0. The target is stunned until it regains at least one point of Intelligence.
Mimicry The skinflayer can mimic animal sounds and humanoid voices. A creature that hears the sounds can tell they are imitations with a successful DC 18 Wisdom (Insight) check.
Psychic Drain One creature charmed, subdued, and stunned with Devour Intellect by the skinflayer takes 22 (4d10) psychic damage, and the skinflayer regains hit points equal to the damage the creature takes.
Shadow Stealth While in dim light or darkness, the skinflayer can take the Hide action as a bonus action.
Slippery The skinflayer has advantage on saves and ability checks when escaping a grapple.
Weird Insight The skinflayer targets one creature it can see within 30 feet of it. The target must contest its Charisma (Deception) check against the skinflayer's Wisdom (Insight) check. If the skinflayer wins, it magically learns one fact or secret about the target. The target automatically wins if it is immune to being charmed.
-----Actions-----
Multiattack: The skinflayer makes two claw attacks.
Claw (Melee): +10, 10’, one target.
Hit: 31 (6d8 + 4) slashing damage, and the target must pass a DC 16 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone.
Read Thoughts: The skinflayer magically reads the surface thoughts of one creature within 60 feet of it. The effect can penetrate barriers, but 3 feet of wood or dirt, 2 feet of stone, 2 inches of metal, or a thin sheet of lead blocks it. While the target is in range the skinflayer can continue reading its thoughts, as long as the doppelganger's concentration isn't broken (as if concentrating on a spell). While reading the target's mind, the skinflayer has advantage on Wisdom (Insight) and Charisma (Deception, Intimidation, and Persuasion) checks against the target.

So, yeah, one thing I can tell without any input: there are things wrong. For example, I forgot to scale up the flayer's health, so it's the same as the walker, which it shouldn't be. And my intuition tells me that all the abilities have these monsters at higher CRs than I do. But if you all would help me get the changers to be of a CR to oppose a group of 10 level 12 PCs in greater numbers, the walkers to oppose a group of 10 level 14 PCs in equal numbers, and the flayers to oppose a group of 10 level 16 PCs at half numbers, I feel like those are the levels of power I want to see. Significant modifications/additions are ok, but don't feel bad if I like my vanilla version better.

Anyway, sorry for the long rant, but I hope you guys don't mind helping me out; it would be very much appreciated.

ghabrel

First Post
Adding Charm limitations as per gyor's suggestion.

Also just found the Monster Features table on pg280 of the DMG so I can adjust CR for the abilities. Going to try reverse-engineering stats based on my parameters at the end of my post.

I'll post updated stat blocks when I'm done.

Croesus

Adventurer
Some interesting stuff here that I might steal from my own game. That said, I would never run these guys as written. You've stated that you like them as is, and that's fine. For my table, I'd never use creatures with that many special abilities. I'd be constantly referring to their sheets, instead of paying attention to the players.

ghabrel

First Post
Alright, so, good news bad news. Good news: After tweaking the health of the flayer, it fits nearly perfectly into my projected CR area (5 balanced against 10 level 16 PCs). Bad news: The changer and flayer each have their effective attributes boosted wildly beyond their designated CR (which it just so happens are exactly where they need to be). So, yeah, I'm gonna do some thinking and would certainly welcome any advice or suggestions.

Labyrinth Skinchanger
Small Monstrosity (Shapechanger) CR 3 (700 XP)
AC 15 HP 117 (18d6 + 36) Spd. 40’
-----Attributes-----
-----Abilities-----
Skills Acrobatics +6, Athletics +3, Deception +4, Insight +4, Perception +3, Sleight of Hand +5, Stealth +7
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 15
Languages Common
Armor None
Proficiency +2
Ambusher The skinchanger has advantage on attack rolls against any creature it has surprised.
Assassinate Any hit the skinchanger scores against a surprised creature is a critical hit.
Avoidance The skinchanger takes no damage from effects that allow a saving throw if it succeeds, and half damage if it fails.
Chameleon Skin When making Dexterity (Stealth) checks, the skinchanger has advantage.
Change Shape The skinchanger magically polymorphs into a humanoid or beast that is medium or smaller, even a specific one if it has been seen before, or back into its true form. The skinchanger adopts the attributes, characteristics, and actions of the target it polymorphed into. It reverts to its true form if it dies.
Charm (1/Day) The skinchanger targets one humanoid it can see within 30 feet of it. If the target can see it, the target must succeed on a DC 13 Wisdom saving throw against this magic or be charmed by the skinchanger. The charmed target regards the skinchanger as a trusted friend to be heeded and protected. Although the target isn’t under the skinchanger’s control, it takes its requests or actions in the most favorable way it can, and it is a willing target for its bite attack. Each time the skinchanger or one of its companions do anything harmful to the target, it can repeat the saving throw, ending the effect on itself on a success. Otherwise, the effect lasts 24 hours or until the skinchanger is destroyed, is on a different plane of existence than the target, or takes a bonus action to end the effect.
Devour Intellect The skinchanger targets one charmed and subdued creature it can see within 5 feet of it that has a brain. The target must succeed on a DC 15 Intelligence saving throw against this magic or take 5 (1d10) psychic damage. Also on a failure, roll 3d6: If the total equals or exceeds the target's Intelligence score, that score is reduced to 0. The target is stunned until it regains at least one point of Intelligence.
Grappler The skinchanger has advantage on attack rolls against targets it has grappled.
Leap If the skinchanger jumps at least 20 feet as part of its movement, it can then use this action to land in a space occupied by an enemy and immediately resolve a kick attack against it, automatically knocking the target prone and pushing it 5 feet if the attack hits and falling prone in a free adjacent space if it misses. If the attack hits and there is at least one additional enemy within 5 feet, the shapechanger may make a tail sweep attack as a bonus action.
Mimicry The skinchanger can mimic animal sounds and humanoid voices. A creature that hears the sounds can tell they are imitations with a successful DC 14 Wisdom (Insight) check.
Naturally Stealthy The skinchanger can attempt to hide even when its obscured only by a creature that is at least one size larger than it.
Nimble Escape: The shapechanger may take Disengage or Hide actions as bonus action on each of its turns.
Pack Tactics The skinchanger has advantage on an attack roll against a creature if at least one of its allies is within 5 feet of it and the ally isn’t incapacitated.
Pounce If the skinchanger moves at least 20 feet straight toward a creature and then hits it with a claw attack on the same turn, that target must succeed on a DC 14 Strength or Dexterity saving throw (target’s choice) or be knocked prone. If the target is prone, the skinchanger can make one attack of any type against it as a bonus action.
Shadow Stealth While in dim light or darkness, the skinchanger can take the Hide action as a bonus action.
Slippery The skinchanger has advantage on saves and ability checks when escaping a grapple.
Sneak Attack Once per turn, the skinchanger may deal an extra 10 (3d6) damage when it hits a target with an attack roll that it has advantage on.
Spider Climb The skinchanger can climb difficult surfaces, including upside down on ceilings, without needing to make an ability check.
Standing Leap The skinchanger’s long jump is up to 40 feet and its high jump is up to 20 feet, with or without a running start.
Sure-Footed Against effects that would knock it prone, the skinchanger has advantage on Strength or Dexterity checks.
Weird Insight The skinchanger targets one creature it can see within 30 feet of it. The target must contest its Charisma (Deception) check against the skinchanger's Wisdom (Insight) check. If the skinchanger wins, it magically learns one fact or secret about the target. The target automatically wins if it is immune to being charmed.
-----Actions-----
Hit: 14 (4d6) bludgeoning damage, and the target must pass a DC 15 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone and pushed back 5 feet.
Read Thoughts: The skinchanger magically reads the surface thoughts of one creature within 60 feet of it. The effect can penetrate barriers, but 3 feet of wood or dirt, 2 feet of stone, 2 inches of metal, or a thin sheet of lead blocks it. While the target is in range the skinchanger can continue reading its thoughts, as long as the doppelganger's concentration isn't broken (as if concentrating on a spell). While reading the target's mind, the skinchanger has advantage on Wisdom (Insight) and Charisma (Deception, Intimidation, and Persuasion) checks against the target.
Hit: 5 (2d4) bludgeoning damage, and the target(s) must pass a DC 13 Strength or Dexterity saving throw (target’s choice) or be knocked prone.
-----Creation Details-----
CR Prof. AC HP Att. B D/R Sv. DC
3 2 13(24) 117 +10 45-50 13
Adjusted >30 4 17-20 7
-----
Abilities increase effective AC beyond all reason, effective Attack Bonus by over a dozen CR, and effective damage per round by 3 CR

Labyrinth Skinwalker
Medium Monstrosity (Shapechanger) CR 5 (1,800 XP)
AC 13 HP 159 (18d8 + 42) Spd. 30’
-----Attributes-----
-----Abilities-----
Skills Athletics +5, Deception +6, Insight +5, Perception +4, Sleight of Hand +2, Stealth +5
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 17
Languages Common
Armor None
Proficiency +3
Ambusher The skinwalker has advantage on attack rolls against any creature it has surprised.
Assassinate Any hit the skinwalker scores against a surprised creature is a critical hit.
Chameleon Skin When making Dexterity (Stealth) checks, the skincwalker has advantage.
Change Shape The skinwalker magically polymorphs into a humanoid that is medium or smaller, even a specific one if it has been seen before, or back into its true form. The skinwalker adopts the attributes, characteristics, and actions of the target it polymorphed into. It reverts to its true form if it dies.
Charm (1/Hr) The skinwalker targets one humanoid it can see within 30 feet of it. If the target can see it, the target must succeed on a DC 15 Wisdom saving throw against this magic or be charmed by the skinwalker. The charmed target regards the skinwalker as a trusted friend to be heeded and protected. Although the target isn’t under the skinwalker’s control, it takes its requests or actions in the most favorable way it can, and it is a willing target for its bite attack. Each time the skinwalker or one of its companions do anything harmful to the target, it can repeat the saving throw, ending the effect on itself on a success. Otherwise, the effect lasts 24 hours or until the skinwalker is destroyed, is on a different plane of existence than the target, or takes a bonus action to end the effect.
Devour Intellect The skinwalker targets one charmed and subdued creature it can see within 5 feet of it that has a brain. The target must succeed on a DC 16 Intelligence saving throw against this magic or take 11 (2d10) psychic damage. Also on a failure, roll 3d6: If the total equals or exceeds the target's Intelligence score, that score is reduced to 0. The target is stunned until it regains at least one point of Intelligence.
Grappler The skinwalker has advantage on attack rolls against targets it has grappled.
Mimicry The skinwalker can mimic animal sounds and humanoid voices. A creature that hears the sounds can tell they are imitations with a successful DC 16 Wisdom (Insight) check.
Naturally Stealthy The skinwalker can attempt to hide even when its obscured only by a creature that is at least one size larger than it.
Pack Tactics The skinwalker has advantage on an attack roll against a creature if at least one of its allies is within 5 feet of it and the ally isn’t incapacitated.
Pounce If the skinwalker moves at least 20 feet straight toward a creature and then hits it with a claw attack on the same turn, that target must succeed on a DC 16 Strength or Dexterity saving throw (target’s choice) or be knocked prone. If the target is prone, the skinwalker can make one attack of any type against it as a bonus action.
Psychic Drain One creature charmed, subdued, and stunned with Devour Intellect by the skinwalker takes 10 (3d6) psychic damage, and the skinwalker regains hit points equal to the damage the creature takes.
Shadow Stealth While in dim light or darkness, the skinwalker can take the Hide action as a bonus action.
Slippery The skinwalker has advantage on saves and ability checks when escaping a grapple.
Weird Insight The skinwalker targets one creature it can see within 30 feet of it. The target must contest its Charisma (Deception) check against the skinwalker's Wisdom (Insight) check. If the skinwalker wins, it magically learns one fact or secret about the target. The target automatically wins if it is immune to being charmed.
-----Actions-----
Slam (Melee): +9, 5’, one target.
Hit: 21 (3d12 + 2) bludgeoning damage.
Read Thoughts: The skinwalker magically reads the surface thoughts of one creature within 60 feet of it. The effect can penetrate barriers, but 3 feet of wood or dirt, 2 feet of stone, 2 inches of metal, or a thin sheet of lead blocks it. While the target is in range the skinwalker can continue reading its thoughts, as long as the doppelganger's concentration isn't broken (as if concentrating on a spell). While reading the target's mind, the skinwalker has advantage on Wisdom (Insight) and Charisma (Deception, Intimidation, and Persuasion) checks against the target.
5 3 15(18) 159 +12 54-59 15
Adjusted 13-16 6 24-26 8-9
-----
Abilities increase effective AC by up to 11 CR, effective Attack Bonus by up to 21 CR, and effective damage per round nearly doubles CR

Labyrinth Skinflayer
Large Monstrosity (Shapechanger) CR 11 (7,200 XP)
AC 13 HP 218 (20d10 + 68) Spd. 20’
-----Attributes-----
-----Abilities-----
Skills Athletics +7, Deception +8, Insight +7, Perception +6, Stealth +3
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 20
Languages Common
Armor None
Chameleon Skin When making Dexterity (Stealth) checks, the skinflayer has advantage.
Change Shape The skinflayer magically polymorphs into a humanoid that is large or smaller, even a specific one if it has been seen before, or back into its true form. The skinflayer adopts the attributes, characteristics, and actions of the target it polymorphed into. It reverts to its true form if it dies.
Charm (1/Rd) The skinflayer targets one humanoid it can see within 30 feet of it. If the target can see it, the target must succeed on a DC 18 Wisdom saving throw against this magic or be charmed by the skinflayer. The charmed target regards the skinflayer as a trusted friend to be heeded and protected. Although the target isn’t under the skinflayer’s control, it takes its requests or actions in the most favorable way it can, and it is a willing target for its bite attack. Each time the skinflayer or one of its companions do anything harmful to the target, it can repeat the saving throw, ending the effect on itself on a success. Otherwise, the effect lasts 24 hours or until the skinflayer is destroyed, is on a different plane of existence than the target, or takes a bonus action to end the effect.
Devour Intellect The skinflayer targets one charmed and subdued creature it can see within 5 feet of it that has a brain. The target must succeed on a DC 19 Intelligence saving throw against this magic or take 11 (2d10) psychic damage. Also on a failure, roll 3d6: If the total equals or exceeds the target's Intelligence score, that score is reduced to 0. The target is stunned until it regains at least one point of Intelligence.
Grappler The skinflayer has advantage on attack rolls against targets it has grappled.
Mimicry The skinflayer can mimic animal sounds and humanoid voices. A creature that hears the sounds can tell they are imitations with a successful DC 18 Wisdom (Insight) check.
Psychic Drain One creature charmed, subdued, and stunned with Devour Intellect by the skinflayer takes 22 (4d10) psychic damage, and the skinflayer regains hit points equal to the damage the creature takes.
Shadow Stealth While in dim light or darkness, the skinflayer can take the Hide action as a bonus action.
Slippery The skinflayer has advantage on saves and ability checks when escaping a grapple.
Weird Insight The skinflayer targets one creature it can see within 30 feet of it. The target must contest its Charisma (Deception) check against the skinflayer's Wisdom (Insight) check. If the skinflayer wins, it magically learns one fact or secret about the target. The target automatically wins if it is immune to being charmed.
-----Actions-----
Claw (Melee): +12, 10’, one target.
Hit: 31 (6d8 + 4) slashing damage, and the target must pass a DC 16 Strength or Dexterity saving throw (target’s choice) or be knocked prone.
Devour (Melee): +12, 5’, one subdued or grappled target.
Hit: 37 (5d12 + 4) necrotic damage, and the skinflayer gains that many hit points.
Read Thoughts: The skinflayer magically reads the surface thoughts of one creature within 60 feet of it. The effect can penetrate barriers, but 3 feet of wood or dirt, 2 feet of stone, 2 inches of metal, or a thin sheet of lead blocks it. While the target is in range the skinflayer can continue reading its thoughts, as long as the doppelganger's concentration isn't broken (as if concentrating on a spell). While reading the target's mind, the skinflayer has advantage on Wisdom (Insight) and Charisma (Deception, Intimidation, and Persuasion) checks against the target.
11 4 13(17) 218 +8 69-74 17
Adjusted Par 10 Par Par?
-----
This one actually seems to be right where it needs to be…

ghabrel

First Post
I should consolidate related skills. I think that would make it look less complex. Or the exact opposite; we'll see...

Updated blocks coming soon.

ghabrel

First Post
So I think the only thing condensing abilities really did was make the sheer ridiculousness of these monsters readily apparent. I mean, just read Fade into Black, "The creature gets x, y, z, 0, q, a barbecue sandwich, an amount of gold sufficient to crush a dwarf into paste, and protection from everything."

Oh...

Is that all?

Yeah...

At this point, it's pretty much help me get the Skinchanger's effective CR down to 3 and the Skinwalker's down to 5 (that's what they're both stated as, but the realities of them have them performing at much higher CRs). Any help or advice to that end would be greatly appreciated.

Here are the stat blocks as they currently stand:

Labyrinth Skinchanger

Small Humanoid Monstrosity (Shapechanger) CR 3 (700 XP)
AC 15 HP 117 (18d6 + 36) Spd. 50’
-----Attributes-----
-----Abilities-----
Skills Acrobatics +7, Athletics +2, Deception +5, Insight +4, Perception +4, Sleight of Hand +7, Stealth +7
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 14
Languages Common, Vecnaxji
Armor None
Proficiency +2
Change Shape The skinchanger magically polymorphs into a humanoid or beast that is medium or smaller, even a specific one if it has been seen before, or back into its true form. The skinchanger adopts the attributes, characteristics, and actions of the target it polymorphed into, although it retains this power as well as the Charm, Read Thoughts, and Weird Insight abilities. It reverts to its true form if it dies.
Charm (1/Day) The skinchanger targets one humanoid it can see within 30 feet of it. If the target can see it, the target must succeed on a DC 13 Wisdom saving throw against this magic or be charmed by the skinchanger. The charmed target regards the skinchanger as a trusted friend to be heeded and protected. Although the target isn’t under the skinchanger’s control, it takes its requests or actions in the most favorable way it can, and it is a willing target for its bite attack. Each time the skinchanger or one of its companions do anything harmful to the target, it can repeat the saving throw, ending the effect on itself on a success. Otherwise, the effect lasts 24 hours or until the skinchanger is destroyed, is on a different plane of existence than the target, or takes a bonus action to end the effect.
Cling to Surface The skinchanger can climb on any surface, even vertical or inverted ones, and it has advantage on rolls to resist being knocked off or knocked prone.
Entangler The skinchanger has advantage on attack rolls to grapple, attack rolls against targets it has grappled, and saves and ability checks to escape from grapples.
Fade into Black The skinchanger has advantage of Dexterity (Stealth) checks, may use the Disengage or Hide actions as a bonus action on its turn, may attempt to hide if only obscured by a creature one or more sizes larger than it, and may attempt to hide as a reaction if in dim light or darkness.
Flow from Shadow The skinchanger has advantage on attack rolls against targets it has surprised, and any hits it scores this way are critical hits that deal an extra 10 (3d6) damage.
Leap If the skinchanger jumps at least 20 feet as part of its movement, it can then use this action to land in a space occupied by an enemy and immediately resolve a kick attack against it, automatically knocking the target prone and pushing it 5 feet if the attack hits, or falling prone in a free adjacent space if it misses. If the attack hits and there is at least one additional enemy within 5 feet, the shapechanger may make a tail sweep attack as a bonus action.
-----Actions-----
Hit: 14 (4d6) bludgeoning damage, and the target must pass a DC 15 Strength or Dexterity saving throw (target’s choice) or be knocked prone and pushed back 5 feet.
Weird Insight: The skinchanger targets one creature it can see within 30 feet of it. The target must contest its Charisma (Deception) check against the skinchanger's Wisdom (Insight) check. If the skinchanger wins, it magically learns one fact or secret about the target. The target automatically wins if it is immune to being charmed.
3 2 13(24) 117 +10 45-50 13
Adjusted >30 4 17-20 7
-----
Abilities increase effective AC beyond all reason, effective Attack Bonus by over a dozen CR, and effective damage per round by 3 CR

Labyrinth Skinwalker
Medium Humanoid Monstrosity (Shapechanger) CR 5 (1,800 XP)
AC 13 HP 159 (18d8 + 42) Spd. 40’
-----Attributes-----
-----Abilities-----
Skills Athletics +5, Deception +7, Insight +6, Perception +6, Sleight of Hand +6, Stealth +6
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 16
Armor None
Proficiency +3
Change Shape The skinwalker magically polymorphs into a humanoid that is medium or smaller, even a specific one if it has been seen before, or back into its true form. The skinwalker adopts the attributes, characteristics, and actions of the target it polymorphed into, although it retains this power as well as the Charm, Devour Intellect, Read Thoughts, and Weird Insight abilities. It reverts to its true form if it dies.
Charm (1/Hr) The skinwalker targets one humanoid it can see within 30 feet of it. If the target can see it, the target must succeed on a DC 15 Wisdom saving throw against this magic or be charmed by the skinwalker. The charmed target regards the skinwalker as a trusted friend to be heeded and protected. Although the target isn’t under the skinwalker’s control, it takes its requests or actions in the most favorable way it can, and it is a willing target for its bite attack. Each time the skinwalker or one of its companions do anything harmful to the target, it can repeat the saving throw, ending the effect on itself on a success. Otherwise, the effect lasts 24 hours or until the skinwalker is destroyed, is on a different plane of existence than the target, or takes a bonus action to end the effect.
Entangler The skinwalker has advantage on attack rolls to grapple, attack rolls against targets it has grappled, and saves and ability checks to escape from grapples.
Fade into Black The skinwalker has advantage of Dexterity (Stealth) checks, may use the Disengage or Hide actions as a bonus action on its turn, may attempt to hide if only obscured by a creature one or more sizes larger than it, and may attempt to hide as a reaction if in dim light or darkness.
Flow from Shadow The skinwalker has advantage on attack rolls against targets it has surprised, and any hits it scores this way are critical hits that deal an extra 14 (4d6) damage.
Mimicry The skinwalker can mimic animal sounds and humanoid voices. A creature that hears the sounds can tell they are imitations with a successful DC 16 Wisdom (Insight) check.
Pounce If the skinwalker moves at least 20 feet straight toward a creature and then hits it with a claw attack on the same turn, that target must succeed on a DC 16 Strength or Dexterity saving throw (target’s choice) or be knocked prone. If the target is prone, the skinwalker can make one attack of any type against it as a bonus action.
-----Actions-----
Hit: 21 (3d12 + 2) bludgeoning damage.
5 3 15(18) 159 +12 54-59 15
Adjusted 13-16 6 24-26 8-9
-----
Abilities increase effective AC by up to 11 CR, effective Attack Bonus by up to 21 CR, and effective damage per round nearly doubles CR

Labyrinth Skinflayer
Large Humanoid Monstrosity (Shapechanger) CR 11 (7,200 XP)
AC 13 HP 218 (20d10 + 68) Spd. 30’
-----Attributes-----
-----Abilities-----
Skills Athletics +8, Deception +9, Insight +8, Perception +8, Stealth +7
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 18
Armor None
Proficiency +4
Change Shape The skinflayer magically polymorphs into a humanoid that is large or smaller, even a specific one if it has been seen before, or back into its true form. The skinflayer adopts the attributes, characteristics, and actions of the target it polymorphed into, although it retains this power as well as the Charm, Devour Intellect, Psychic Drain, Read Thoughts, and Weird Insight abilities. It reverts to its true form if it dies.
Charm (1/Rd) The skinflayer targets one humanoid it can see within 30 feet of it. If the target can see it, the target must succeed on a DC 18 Wisdom saving throw against this magic or be charmed by the skinflayer. The charmed target regards the skinflayer as a trusted friend to be heeded and protected. Although the target isn’t under the skinflayer’s control, it takes its requests or actions in the most favorable way it can, and it is a willing target for its bite attack. Each time the skinflayer or one of its companions do anything harmful to the target, it can repeat the saving throw, ending the effect on itself on a success. Otherwise, the effect lasts 24 hours or until the skinflayer is destroyed, is on a different plane of existence than the target, or takes a bonus action to end the effect.
Entangler The skinflayer has advantage on attack rolls to grapple, attack rolls against targets it has grappled, and saves and ability checks to escape from grapples.
Fade into Black The skinflayer has advantage of Dexterity (Stealth) checks and may attempt to hide as a reaction if in dim light or darkness.
-----Actions-----
Hit: 31 (6d8 + 4) slashing damage, and the target must pass a DC 17 Strength or Dexterity saving throw (target’s choice) or be knocked prone.
Hit: 37 (5d12 + 4) necrotic damage, and the skinflayer gains that many hit points.
11 4 13(17) 218 +8 69-74 17
Adjusted Par 10 Par Par?
-----

ghabrel

First Post
Alright, so, probably last update until I get some more feedback. Included the standard stats for the monsters' desired CRs, in addition to where their effective stats are, and where they land on the CR range. Also hypothesized about what their CR should realistically be given their current stats and abilities.

So, without further adieu...

Labyrinth Skinchanger
Small Humanoid Monstrosity (Shapechanger) CR 3 (700 XP)
AC 15 HP 117 (18d6 + 36) Spd. 50’
-----Attributes-----
-----Abilities-----
Skills Acrobatics +7, Athletics +2, Deception +5, Insight +4, Perception +4, Sleight of Hand +7, Stealth +7
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 14
Armor None
Proficiency +2
Change Shape The skinchanger magically polymorphs into a humanoid or beast that is medium or smaller, even a specific one if it has been seen before, or back into its true form. The skinchanger adopts the attributes, characteristics, and actions of the target it polymorphed into, although it retains this power as well as the Charm, Read Thoughts, and Weird Insight abilities. It reverts to its true form if it dies.
Charm (1/Day) The skinchanger targets one humanoid it can see within 30 feet of it. If the target can see it, the target must succeed on a DC 14 Wisdom saving throw against this magic or be charmed by the skinchanger. The charmed target regards the skinchanger as a trusted friend to be heeded and protected. Although the target isn’t under the skinchanger’s control, it takes its requests or actions in the most favorable way it can, and it is a willing target for its bite attack. Each time the skinchanger or one of its companions do anything harmful to the target, it can repeat the saving throw, ending the effect on itself on a success. Otherwise, the effect lasts 24 hours or until the skinchanger is destroyed, is on a different plane of existence than the target, or takes a bonus action to end the effect.
Cling to Surface The skinchanger can climb on any surface, even vertical or inverted ones, and it has advantage on rolls to resist being knocked off or knocked prone.
Demi-Swarm Skinchangers are accustomed to sharing close-quarters with one another, and sometimes others. When a space is only occupied by skinchangers, up to four may share the same space. In addition, a single skinchanger may occupy the same space as an enemy, but doing so imposes disadvantage on all non-grapple attacks made by either the skinchanger or the enemy it shares a space with.
Entangler The skinchanger has advantage on attack rolls to grapple, attack rolls against targets it has grappled, and saves and ability checks to escape from grapples.
Fade into Black The skinchanger has advantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks, may use the Disengage or Hide actions as a bonus action on its turn, may attempt to hide if only obscured by a creature one or more sizes larger than it, and may attempt to hide as a reaction if in dim light or darkness.
Flow from Shadow The skinchanger has advantage on attack rolls against targets it has surprised, and any hits it scores this way are critical hits that deal an extra 10 (3d6) damage.
Leap If the skinchanger jumps at least 20 feet as part of its movement, it can then use this action to land in a space occupied by an enemy and immediately resolve a kick attack against it, automatically knocking the target prone and pushing it 5 feet if the attack hits, or falling prone in a free adjacent space if it misses. If the attack hits and there is at least one additional enemy within 5 feet, the shapechanger may make a tail sweep attack as a bonus action.
-----Actions-----
Hit: 14 (4d6) bludgeoning damage, and the target must pass a DC 14 Strength or Dexterity saving throw (target’s choice) or be knocked prone and pushed back 5 feet.
Read Thoughts: The skinchanger magically reads the surface thoughts of one creature within 60 feet of it. The effect can penetrate barriers, but 3 feet of wood or dirt, 2 feet of stone, 2 inches of metal, or a thin sheet of lead blocks it. While the target is in range the skinchanger can continue reading its thoughts, as long as the skinchanger's concentration isn't broken (as if concentrating on a spell). While reading the target's mind, the skinchanger has advantage on Wisdom (Insight) and Charisma (Deception, Intimidation, and Persuasion) checks against the target.
Hit: 5 (2d4) bludgeoning damage, and the target(s) must pass a DC 14 Strength or Dexterity saving throw (target’s choice) or be knocked prone.
Weird Insight: The skinchanger targets one creature it can see within 30 feet of it. The target must contest its Charisma (Deception) check against the skinchanger's Wisdom (Insight) check. If the skinchanger wins, it magically learns one fact or secret about the target. The target automatically wins if it is immune to being charmed.
3 +2 13 101-115 +4 21-26 13
Adjusted+2 24 117 +10 45-50 14
Effective >30 4 17-20 7 4
-----
Abilities increase effective AC beyond all reason, effective Attack Bonus by over a dozen CR, and effective damage per round by 4 CR.
Realistic CR: 11? Are these guys really that overpowered? Or are my calculations just wildly inaccurate?

Labyrinth Skinwalker
Medium Humanoid Monstrosity (Shapechanger) CR 5 (1,800 XP)
AC 13 HP 159 (18d8 + 42) Spd. 40’
-----Attributes-----
-----Abilities-----
Skills Athletics +5, Deception +7, Insight +6, Perception +6, Sleight of Hand +6, Stealth +6
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 16
Armor None
Proficiency +3
Change Shape The skinwalker magically polymorphs into a humanoid that is medium or smaller, even a specific one if it has been seen before, or back into its true form. The skinwalker adopts the attributes, characteristics, and actions of the target it polymorphed into, although it retains this power as well as the Charm, Devour Intellect, Read Thoughts, and Weird Insight abilities. It reverts to its true form if it dies.
Entangler The skinwalker has advantage on attack rolls to grapple, attack rolls against targets it has grappled, and saves and ability checks to escape from grapples.
Fade into Black The skinwalker has advantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks, may use the Disengage or Hide actions as a bonus action on its turn, may attempt to hide if only obscured by a creature one or more sizes larger than it, and may attempt to hide as a reaction if in dim light or darkness.
Flow from Shadow The skinwalker has advantage on attack rolls against targets it has surprised, and any hits it scores this way are critical hits that deal an extra 14 (4d6) damage.
-----Actions-----
Read Thoughts: The skinwalker magically reads the surface thoughts of one creature within 60 feet of it. The effect can penetrate barriers, but 3 feet of wood or dirt, 2 feet of stone, 2 inches of metal, or a thin sheet of lead blocks it. While the target is in range the skinwalker can continue reading its thoughts, as long as the skinwalker's concentration isn't broken (as if concentrating on a spell). While reading the target's mind, the skinwalker has advantage on Wisdom (Insight) and Charisma (Deception, Intimidation, and Persuasion) checks against the target.
Hit: 21 (3d12 + 2) bludgeoning damage, and the target must pass a DC 16 Strength or Dexterity saving throw (target’s choice) or be knocked prone. If the target is already prone, it takes an additional 11 (2d10) damage.
5 +3 15(13) 131-145 +6 33-38 15
Adjusted+3 18 159 +12 54-59 16
Effective 13-16 6 24-26 8-9 8-10
-----
Abilities increase effective AC by up to 11 CR, effective Attack Bonus by up to 21 CR, and effective damage per round nearly doubles CR.
Realistic CR: 11 again? Taking the average of CRs might not be the best way to figure this out…

Labyrinth Skinflayer
Large Humanoid Monstrosity (Shapechanger) CR 11 (7,200 XP)
AC 13 HP 218 (20d10 + 68) Spd. 30’
-----Attributes-----
-----Abilities-----
Skills Athletics +8, Deception +9, Insight +8, Perception +8, Stealth +7
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 18
Armor None
Proficiency +4
Change Shape The skinflayer magically polymorphs into a humanoid that is large or smaller, even a specific one if it has been seen before, or back into its true form. The skinflayer adopts the attributes, characteristics, and actions of the target it polymorphed into, although it retains this power as well as the Charm, Devour Intellect, Psychic Drain, Read Thoughts, and Weird Insight abilities. It reverts to its true form if it dies.
Devour Intellect The skinflayer targets one charmed and subdued creature it can see within 5 feet of it that has a brain. The target must succeed on a DC 18 Intelligence saving throw against this magic or take 11 (2d10) psychic damage. Also on a failure, roll 3d6: If the total equals or exceeds the target's Intelligence score, that score is reduced to 0. The target is stunned until it regains at least one point of Intelligence.
Entangler The skinflayer has advantage on attack rolls to grapple, attack rolls against targets it has grappled, and saves and ability checks to escape from grapples.
Fade into Black The skinflayer has advantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks and may attempt to hide as a reaction if in dim light or darkness.
-----Actions-----
Hit: 31 (6d8 + 4) slashing damage, and the target must pass a DC 18 Strength or Dexterity saving throw (target’s choice) or be knocked prone.
Read Thoughts: The skinflayer magically reads the surface thoughts of one creature within 60 feet of it. The effect can penetrate barriers, but 3 feet of wood or dirt, 2 feet of stone, 2 inches of metal, or a thin sheet of lead blocks it. While the target is in range the skinflayer can continue reading its thoughts, as long as the skinflayer's concentration isn't broken (as if concentrating on a spell). While reading the target's mind, the skinflayer has advantage on Wisdom (Insight) and Charisma (Deception, Intimidation, and Persuasion) checks against the target.
11 +4 17 221-235 +8 69-74 17
Adjusted +4 13 218 +8 62-84 18
Effective 1/8-3 10 Par 9-13 13-16
-----
Realistic CR: 10? Nah, I’m sticking with 11.

Boo for this formatting nonsense stopping me from spacing out the creation details to actually line up and make sense. Oh well...

Remove ads