• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help w/Kobold NPC build

Funkthis

First Post
Currently running campaign in which PC's have befriended a Kobold who through their act of mercy (not killing him) has decided to change alignments and join the party. Accordingly I need to build him out and have no idea what would be an effective build (have a person who will 'run' him from time to time).

Some information...Lvl 5 Fighter with an 11 Str 18 Dex 14 Con (rest of stats 13's). Need him to help party as a frontline fighter or something close as the party's only fighter seems to drop like a sack of spuds each battle. PC's are 5-7th lvl.

It seems as I try to build him there is no way for him to ever deal an effective amount of damage (as I just can't stand the Monkey Grip feat) and therefore attract a little attention from the party's lone fighter (who of course dishes out incredible amounts of damage).

Using just WOTC books and campaign is Greyhawk so no FR stuff.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

BTW...his name is Meepo ;)

Whimsical

Explorer
I don't have the Sunless Citadel handy. What are Meepo's stats? I'm inclined to have any small race be a pure spellcaster. Sorcerer would be the obvious choice. Psion would be the less obvious choice, but still good.

For a fighter-lite party, summoning monsters is the way to go. Whether Summon Monster, Summon Nature's Ally, or Astral Construct. Otherwise, having a cleric or druid be your personal buffer is sweet. While the fighter is swinging away, the buffer is casting Divine Shield, Barkskin, Cat's Grace, Bull's Strength, Bear's Endurance, followed by healing.

Last edited:

Jack Simth

First Post
NPC's don't have to be too tough - of course, you can bend the rules a tad and make him so - if you switch that Ftr-5 out for CR 5 NPC Warrior, you can give him Warrior 8 (using the SRD listing for Kobold, anyway) as a Kobold with levels in an NPC class has a CR of it's character level -3. That would get him 8d8 hp, BAB +8/+3 (with another +1 for size). Of course, a fighter-type is a bad choice for a Kobold, what with the -4 str, -2 con, and the small size reducing weapon damage. A summoner of some form would likely be a better choice, if the RP permits it at this point (probably not).

A rogue might be a good choice - take lots of tumble and zip around for the flanking (and thus Sneak Attack) bonuses at the front line - some feats: Dodge, Mobility.

domino

First Post
I'd give him a spear or other reach weapon (can small weapons give reach?) and have him do a lot of tripping (with improved trip, to cancel his smal size) and disarming (same thing).

JimAde

First Post
I think Jack Simth has it. He needs at least one level of rogue, preferably 3. Those extra dice of Sneak Attack will swamp the size disadvantage. With that dex, and Weapon Finesse, his attacks will be pretty good. Let's see...

Rog3/Ftr2 means a total of 4 possible combat feats. How about:

Weapon Finesse
2-weapon fighting
Dodge
Mobility

Plus max ranks in Tumble, of course. So now you've got a dodging, weaving food processor. :) He can still be front line, but he'll be avoiding attacks instead of absorbing them with Hit Points.

Full Attack: +6/+6 Short Swords (1d4 Damage each, plus 2d6 Sneak).

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
The problem with Fighter/Bard and Fighter/Rogue is the Kobold's favoured class. Assuming this guy is going to be around for a while, he'll continue to lag behind unless the split is continually balanced. Possible with Fighter/rogue perhaps, though I suspect you'd get a stronger character with straight rogue, furiously flanking.

If you don't play with favoured classes, or don't mind the penalty, consider a level of Barbarian with the rest in rogue (a great combination for goblins)--the extra movement really helps, and rage can be an unexpected equalizer.

Or (if you are prepared to lose the front-line fighter idea), try Barb-1, Sorc-4 (Eldritch knight, here we come!).

Have fun,

Kobold Stew.

cmanos

First Post
Kobolds are sneaky and crafty, they aren't meant for frontline fighters. But if you are stuck on him being a frontline fighter, I'd capitalize on his Dex, Weapon Finesse, Armor that takes advantage of the Dex bonus to AC. Don't worry about doing a lot of damage...he's not built for that. Think sneaky....coat his blade with poison. Use trip and disarm. Put him on full defense and have him aid the fighter for a +2 to his attack bonus. Buy up his bluff skill so he can distract the opponent.

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
The Meepo that I met was a manic depressive Bard.
he talked all the time and at least one PC would have cut off his ears before allowing Meepo to join the party. When my gnome mage would run out of spells, the halfling thief (who was a combat wuss) would dance or sing backup for him.
Of course we had a 20 str 1/2 orc Barbarian frontline, who outclassed whole rest of the party.

Demoquin

First Post
What about a Rog Bard SD kobold? He can sneak, sing, hide, and cause mischief all at once :lol:

Rog 3/ Bard 4/SD 1 ... then whatever you want more ... i like the shadow as the kobold will have a 'imaginary' friend :p

Remove ads