D&D General Help: What to do with physical books?

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
That really isn't a lot. You could pack it in a few boxes. I always use more boxes than I need because I want to keep the weight down as I've always done the moving myself and also because I am generous with foam. Also for books, I generally line the boxes with heavy duty contractor / year trash bags, just in case they get wet.

If you want to declutter, the 5e books are easy to get rid of if you use DnD Beyond. But if you are not interested in using the 2024 revisions, but still want to run 5e, I would keep at least the rule books. I would personally hold on to Volos. That remains my favorite 5e book and you can't get it on DnD Beyond unless you bought it when they were still selling it there.

Other than that I can only repeat advice others have already made. I'm not a collector, so my decision process is:

1. Do I intend to play this again? If so, can I live with using PDF versions (if available)? If yes to the first and no to the second, keep it.

2. Even if I don't intend to play it again, is it an aesthetically pleasing book that I enjoy browsing through now and again to enjoy reading it, looking at the art, getting inspiration and content to use in other games? If so, keep it.

3. Does it have strong nostalgic value? If yes keep it. But this is the tough one. Nostalgia grows over time. On the one had, I wish I had a lot of my books from the 80s. On the other hand, I long ago cured myself of my collector urges. I try to err on the side of letting things go. Every year I declutter. Part of that is going through my books and board games and aggressively pruning stuff that I don't use and don't have strong feelings for.

I either donate books and games to my LFGS's lending library, my son's school (for their game club and aftercare) or I have my sons help me bring them to Half Price Books and give them whatever money we can get for them.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Our in-person group encountered multiple people moving out of state.

We simply resumed the game online after everyone was settled. And we've been gaming that way for a decade straight now. Surprisingly, we find we have more time to game, not less, since nobody has to travel for the game, and people can play even if they are somewhat ill or tired.

delericho

Legend
I've been lucky enough that when I've cut down my collection it was always by choice rather than due to a move. But, for whatever it's worth, my decision process was:

Firstly, any game I'd never actually played went. Likewise, any 'orphaned' books (that is, supplements for games I don't have the core book for). I then took a good, hard look at the mass of d20/OGL supplements I'd gathered in the 3e era - a lot of these were actively bad, or actually made the game worse when I tried to use them. So those went.

But I kept all the games I'd played extensively (notably Vampire, Firefly/Serenity, Star Wars, and WFRP), and all TSR/WotC D&D books. Plus, all adventures.

(Incidentally, I also mentally set aside a budget to rebuy a handful of books if I did find myself sorely missing anything. I've never needed it.)

Even now, though, there's an awful lot on my shelves that I know I will never ever use again. And, of course, it helps great deal that these days I'm much more likely to want, and to use, an RPG book in PDF format anyway.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
It may well be different for the dm…but…

We had one member out of the are for an in person group. We set if a tablet overlooking the board. I was sick once and I was the one patched in. Just as fun…

I hope you land in a good spot and are able to game when you do!

I am not materialistic in many ways but my minis and books…they are going with me to the retirement home!

Keep them even in storage…you will be glad later.

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Also, this may mark the end of my D&D group as we always meet in person and now I will be 2000 miles away. Not sure I will DM again.
Don't be defeated by geography! Our group had only ever gamed in person for more than three decades, but could no longer do so from 2018. I thought that was it, but was persuaded to try an online session (spanning more than one continent) at the end of 2022. And here we are, with more than a year of games in our Spelljammer campaign now behind us.

Don’t abandon your gaming group. We are mostly local and went online during the pandemic. We stayed online. We’ve actually been able to meet more consistently. I have a player with medical issues that travel hi-weekly for treatment. He takes his laptop and is still able to play in the weekly game.

The online experience isn’t the same as in person. It’s a different beast. But the transition can actually be good.

In terms of storing miniatures get some pillow foam from Hobby Lobby. 1/2” or 1” thick sheets or rolls. Cut with hobby knife. You can pack the minis individually or place them on layers and put another piece of foam on top. Put it all in a sterilite plastic tub and you’re gonna be ok. I wouldn’t do that for anything I truly value but for the rank and file it will work. You can use the same foam to wrap the large models you really care about.

KoolMoDaddy-O

Explorer
Take it from someone who's been down this road: keep all of it. Your book collection isn't that big, two maybe three file boxes at most.

In the early aughts I had a huge collection of 1e and 2e stuff which I sold. I hadn't played in more than ten years and truly believed I would never play again. Fast forward to 2020 during a global pandemic when my teenage son drew me back into the game, which led to a six-person family game that continues to this day. I don't miss most of it but there are about a half-dozen books or modules I wish I'd kept.

If you are still looking to downsize your books, this is how I'd prioritize things:
  • Keep the stuff that sparks joy. I kept most of my Ravenloft stuff even though I doubt I'll ever run a Ravenloft game. I love the setting, I love the moody Stephen Fabian art, I love flipping through my copy of Domains of Dread.
  • Get rid of old rulebooks first. It looks like you're playing a 5e game so how likely is it you're ever going to revert to 1e? If you need space, sell the orange-spine books -- you'll make some collector happy and have a couple bucks in your pocket for new books, so win-win. Donate any 5e stuff you don't want to your local library; it's unlikely you'll sell them for much because they're still in print, and you may help somebody discover the game.
  • Settings and adventures are evergreen across editions or even game systems. That copy of Tomb of Annihilation, which is both setting and adventure? Twenty years from now, 90 percent of that book will still be useful even if you're playing a completely different fantasy RPG. You'll have to swap out stat blocks, etc., but the story and maps will never be outdated. And definitely hold on to that copy of the Draconomicon!
Hope this helps and good luck with the move.

GuyBoy

Hero
As a retired high school principal, I’d suggest contacting your local high school to see if they have a gaming group. If they do, a donation of books and/or minis would certainly be welcomed, especially as times are hard financially for so many. I realise I’m talking from a UK perspective where schools can take donations and it may be different in USA.
That said, I’d also suggest maybe trying to keep you’re group going online if that’s something you feel you can do?
Finally, Seattle just has to have many gaming groups: From everything you have posted on here, you are clearly a great person and I’m sure you would be welcomed. Those books and minis can still play a role.

Regardless, I hope the move goes well for you and your family. Wishing you the best.

Clint_L

Hero
If you won't be DMing for awhile, putting the miniatures and adventure books in storage is okay. 5e books are easily replaceable if needed, and since you already gone mostly digital, just keep the ones you enjoy reading - for me, that's the core rule books and the various monster books, in particular. I wouldn't get rid of the miniatures; they are easy to store and expensive to replace. Sell them if you must.

Those look to be mostly plastic miniatures. I have thousands, and you don't have to be particularly precious about storing them. Because they are so light, they are much less prone to breakage and paint scuffing than metal miniatures. Just take a bit of care so that thin parts don't get bent or snapped. I keep all my plastic miniatures in workshop organizers (like you use for nuts and bolts) for the small/mediums, and stacking bins for the large and above. I only bother with foam trays for miniatures that I am transporting them to and fro, though even there I am pretty lax. Unless they are metal. But you don't need to keep plastic miniatures carefully packed in foam if you are just using them at home. Just jam 'em in tight in their bins.

I seldom even bother putting spray varnish on plastic minis.

Good luck with your move, and I hope you find a new group soon. Seattle's a great city; I'm just over the border in Victoria.

Remove ads