D&D 5E Help with a Barbarian

ElterAgo

Explorer
Wanting to build a barbarian. This is a bit of a departure for me since I am usually a magic user in any game system. Also fairly new to 5th Ed.

GM is going to let me use Goliath race.
I'm figuring bear totem path.

Kinda figuring on going for mostly the shrug off any attack attack and just keep coming rather than the most huge damage numbers possible.

Other than that, I haven't really planned out much of anything. Looking for suggestions. Should I multi-class? What feats should I consider? Should I look at a reach weapon?

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Wanting to build a barbarian. This is a bit of a departure for me since I am usually a magic user in any game system. Also fairly new to 5th Ed.

GM is going to let me use Goliath race.
I'm figuring bear totem path.

Kinda figuring on going for mostly the shrug off any attack attack and just keep coming rather than the most huge damage numbers possible.

Other than that, I haven't really planned out much of anything. Looking for suggestions. Should I multi-class? What feats should I consider? Should I look at a reach weapon?

By level 5 you have the most important Barbarian abilities. The major reason to continue in Barbarian at that point is if you find yourself wanting/needing additional rages per day. If you don't then multiclassing is a great option. Fighter comes to mind as the most obvious - as adding in a bit of self healing with rage, Action Surge and something like Battlemaster Superiority dice is really strong.

Rogue also makes a great addition - though it certainly will change how you play your barbarian. You will be using light weapons with strength, and it will take you a few levels in rogue before your better with them than with just using a greatsword. That said, excellent out of combat utility for skills.

ElterAgo

Explorer
Mistwell,
Pretty decent guide. Still reading through some of the feats and abilities and considering the implications of some of that.
Especially looking at his reach weapon suggestions.
I'm not going entirely with his recommendations on skills. I wan't to at least have a chance at some out of combat skill checks even if not great. So taking Intimidation, Perception, and Survival.

FrogReaver,
Surprised you don't think that highly of Feral Instinct and Brutal Critical. They seemed exceptionally nice to me. But I am going to carefully consider the possibilities of multiclassing. Just not sure with what yet.

shadowoflameth

Adventurer
I played a 5E barbarian to 20th. Berserker. I like the Bear totem too though. I went high Con from the start I actually prioritized it above strength. When you get to it, consider the Durable feat. By 20th I had 24 con then got an epic boon for 26. Hit dice with a d12+7 and the lowest I could get was 14 hp was very nice. and the AC from Unarmored Defense. I did make strength second place. I played human but Goliath with Bear Totem I like.

Remove ads