Help with a max Initiative Build

gfunk

First Post
I'm trying to build a Psion with the maximum possible initiative score. I'm working with a 32 point buy and 25 character levels. Obviously the Nomad seems like the way to go.

Here's what I have so far:

Anthropomorphic Nixe Snake (Huge Viper) [18 level Psion (Nomad)]

Dex 18 (base with 32 pt buy)
+ 10 for viper
+ 6 for nixie
+ 5 for level increases
+ 5 inherent
+ 6 enhancement
----------------------
Dex 50 (+20)

So for further boosts to Initiative:
Improved Initiative (+4)
Blooded (+2)
Superior Initiative (+8)
----------------------
Total Initiative = +30

I'm sure that you guys can do better with additional feats posted in other WotC rule books.

Please note that I want an Initiative bonus that is "always on." In other words, I don't want to buff. Feats or magic items that continually function would be fine though.

Thanks!

gfunk

First Post
Gilwen said:
um what is this guys ECL? ;) I wouldn't want to meet up with this dude...i'd never get to go :)

IDHMBIFM, but I think it goes something like this:

Anthropmorphic Snake (Huge Viper) 3d8 HD, LA +0
Nixie 1d6 HD, LA +3

So, from the get go, this character has 3d8+1d6 HD (4 levels) and +3 LA for a total of 7 levels.

Add 18 levels of Psion (Telepath) and you have a 25 ECL (22 HD).

Taren Seeker

First Post
The thug feat from the FRCS: +2 init, +2 intimidate

At 2nd lvl, the Iaijutsu Master PrC in OA adds CHA bonus to init. Too bad you're set on Sorceror.The Initiative weapon or armor enhancement provides a +2 luck bonus to init, also from OA.

Luckstones (luck bonus) and Competence Ioun Stones (comp bonus) both add +1 to init, since an init check is defined as a Dex check. In the 3.0 PHB at least.

gfunk

First Post
Taren Seeker said:
The thug feat from the FRCS: +2 init, +2 intimidate

At 2nd lvl, the Iaijutsu Master PrC in OA adds CHA bonus to init. Too bad you're set on Sorceror.The Initiative weapon or armor enhancement provides a +2 luck bonus to init, also from OA.

Luckstones (luck bonus) and Competence Ioun Stones (comp bonus) both add +1 to init, since an init check is defined as a Dex check. In the 3.0 PHB at least.

Thanks for the input.

I saw Thug but, technically, you have to be from a specific FR region to take it and it is mutually exclusive with Blooded. So I just chose one at random.

The Iaijutsu Master sounds cool, but I really need psionic abilities for this character.

The Luckstone/Iounstone combo sounds good, thanks!

Taren Seeker

First Post
Sorry, don't know why I was thinking Sorceror there.

Thug and Blooded: IDHMBIFOM, but you can have both, as long as you stipulate that your PC moved from one region to another. IIRC to qualify all you need to do is have spent 1 yr game time in the new region and spent 2 ranks of knowledge: local for that region.

Cheesy, but hey, you have a 50 dex ;)

Skinwalker

First Post
gfunk said:
I saw Thug but, technically, you have to be from a specific FR region to take it and it is mutually exclusive with Blooded. So I just chose one at random.

Actually, you can also qualify for the feat if you take a couple ranks in KS-Local with the appropriate region.

I saw another weapon that gave a bonus to Initiative. The nice thing is, you only have to have the weapon on your person to get the bonus. I'm pretty sure it was in the Arms and Equipment Guide, and the property was called something like Readiness.

Arc

First Post
A weapon of initiative (OA) gives +2 luck bonus to initiative, for a flat 20000gp addition. I don't think you had to have it out either.

James McMurray

First Post
A +1 dagger of Fury and Initiative grants +4 init. It costs 38,308gp.

Fury is from the Arms and Equipment guide and gives +2 to init.

Also, a WuJen (from OA) can gain a once per day bonus of +4 to initiative. Unfortunately, this would cost you a level of Psion, meaning you wouldn't get a 9th level power.

Be sure to clarify the Anthropomorphic animal with your DM though, apparently some find it over-powered.

Pax

Banned
Banned
Arms and equipment guide: weapon enhancement is Eager.

Magic of Faerun: a first level spell, "Kauper's Skittish Nerves", gives a +5 bonus to initiative. Can easily be made into a potion (a Master Alchemist could possibly make a potion of Persistent KSN ... equal to a 5th level spell).

Remove ads