Help with a rust monster

Obryn

Hero
So, as a change of pace, I've decided to put my group up against a rust monster in an upcoming adventure. I'm looking for help on how to run this nasty little beastie, particularly its rusting feelers.

Basically - does it need to make a sunder-type attack to hit an object carried by a creature? Does it draw an attack of opportunity for attacking an object in this way? The description says it's a touch attack, but what AC should it use for a suit of plate mail vs. a longsword?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

-O

Skaros

First Post
For discussion, here is the relevant section from the 3.5 SRD:

Rust (Ex): A rust monster that makes a successful touch attack with its antennae causes the target metal to corrode, falling to
pieces and becoming useless immediately. The touch can destroy up to a 10-foot cube of metal instantly. Magic armor and
weapons, and other magic items made of metal, must succeed on a DC 17 Reflex save or be dissolved. The save DC is
Constitution-based and includes a +4 racial bonus.

A metal weapon that deals damage to a rust monster corrodes immediately. Wooden, stone, and other nonmetallic weapons
are unaffected.

I have no idea how this works, to be honest. A sunder attempt would be...strange, since the rust attack is listed as a touch attack.

Would the rust monster just have to succeed against a touch attack on the PC, and thereby force all metal items the PC holds and wears to make a save???

Skaros

ThirdWizard

First Post
I thought objects automatically failed all reflex saves?

Maybe a touch attack against the item, modified by the item's size and the dexterity of the person holding it? I really don't know, its just a guess. But, this has inspired me to add rust monsters to my next adventure (kept by kobold wizards :D), and if anyone knows for sure, I'd be happy to hear!

Obryn

Hero
Thanks for posting that section, Skaros.

ThirdWizard - An attended item gets the holder's reflex saves, so I'm OK on that part.

I think the idea ThirdWizard has is on target... Makes sense. AC10 + Object's size modifier + Holder's dex modifier.

Still wondering about AoO's though.

-O

Camarath

Pale Master Tarrasque
Skaros said:
Would the rust monster just have to succeed against a touch attack on the PC, and thereby force all metal items the PC holds and wears to make a save???

One touch attack for one item. The ability says "target metal" I think this refers to one metal item. It also means you would use the items AC rather than the characters. Here is conformation of the item AC rules from the SRD under Sunder.

"Instead, just make an attack roll against the object’s AC. A carried or worn object’s AC is equal to 10 + its size modifier + the Dexterity modifier of the carrying or wearing character."

Here is the rule from the SRD about item saving throws.

"Magic items use the same saving throw bonus for all saves, no matter what the type (Fortitude, Reflex, or Will). A magic item’s saving throw bonus equals 2 + one-half its caster level (round down"

Since this is a special ability, IMO it would not provoke an AoO.

Waldo

First Post
Rust (Ex): A rust monster that makes a successful touch attack with its antennae causes the target metal to corrode, falling to
pieces and becoming useless immediately. The touch can destroy up to a 10-foot cube of metal instantly. Magic armor and
weapons, and other magic items made of metal, must succeed on a DC 17 Reflex save or be dissolved. The save DC is
Constitution-based and includes a +4 racial bonus.

A metal weapon that deals damage to a rust monster corrodes immediately. Wooden, stone, and other nonmetallic weapons
are unaffected.

Do you think they meant for the second situation, "A metal weapon that deals damage to a rust monster" to still have a saving throw? I hope so. Seems a bit brutal otherwise. :)

Not that I haven't been destroying magic weapons with rust monsters since 1st edition. Hee hee.

ThirdWizard

First Post
It looks like it reads as if they corrode immediately without a save from the text. This is odd, however, if the anntenae have to touch the object to rust it.

CrimsonTemplar

First Post
ThirdWizard said:
It looks like it reads as if they corrode immediately without a save from the text. This is odd, however, if the anntenae have to touch the object to rust it.

If the Rust Monster successfully touches a non-magical metal item then it's gone.

If it's magical then it gets a saving throw before becoming destroyed. In 3.0, the only applicable bonus to the reflex saving throw was the item's enhancement bonus & that's all I'll grant it in 3.5 since the touch AC I'll use will be based on it being a held object with a base of 10+size+wielder's DEX bonus.

TuDogz

First Post
I tend to think of Rust Monsters as rodents. They are not very effective in combat and no critter, even with int 2 lacks survival instincts. In short, I don't like their creature ecology much.

So I like to make them smaller and then they are a nice critter to sneak into camp at night during the watch of the player with the worst spot checks and quietly munch away on things till spotted. They flee at pain to hide and then return to munch away at rusty bits left behind when the adventurer's move on.

Sort of like the marmots in the north cascades hunting nice leather hiking boots.

Remove ads