• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help with Archer build

sdt

First Post
I have a human archer (fighter) hoping to reach 12th level, after which I’ll have all the feats for archery I’ll ever need. But what’s after that? Is it worth multi-classing into a thief? Has anyone else done this before? Any advice would be helpful; my non-archery feats are Dodge and Mobility.

There are a couple of interesting Archery-Oriented prestige classes out there... Order of the Bow Initiate comes to mind, as does Peerless Archer (FR). I'm not sure what the rogue class would bring you. Sneak attack damage? At that level, it'll be too little, too late, IMO. Kensai could be another interesting class.

AR

Targos

First Post
The Order of the Bow Initiate gets the close combat shot which is vital to a true archer. The only other way to get that ability is an epic feat. I'd recommend picking up levels in the class before level 12 if possible. There are some additional archery feats in the Complete Warrior that may be worthwhile.

Last edited:

Patlin

Explorer
If you aren't using prestige classes, rogue levels might be nice. Sneak attacks do a lot for archery, especially if you have access to greater invisibility or blink. UMD can help you with that, tumble can substitute for close combat shot much of the time, and stealth is always nice to have. Monk levels could be fun, too, as very nice things happen to your saving throws, and it's nice to be able to kick someone in the head without dropping your bow.

If you don't want to multiclass, there are several options for feats. The mounted combat line (including mounted archery and improved mounted archery) can greatly expand your maneuverability in more open combats, especially if you can aquire a flying mount. Combat expertise can help keep you alive, as can the various saving throw feats. For that matter, ae you sure that you have all the archery feats? Don't miss Improved Rapid Shot in complete warrior, it eliminates the -2 penalty when using rapid shot.

cloaker

First Post
If you dont like rogue, you can always take Ranger and get a few two-weapon feats or barbarian for the extra move that would be very nice for Shot on the Run and you can always Rage if you /need/ to be in melee, or take Paladins lvls and get Ranged Smite and a Pegasus mount and make your enemys wish they could fly (strange but interesting combination).
But the best really would be to take PrC´s: Arcane Archer(DMG), Peerless Archer(FR), Order of the Bow Initiate, Deepwood Sniper, etc.

Or go full fighter and specialize melee also, blind-fighting, combat reflexes should be good since you probably will have a good dex.

Shallown

First Post
If you haven't invested in the Exotic great bow do so and get exotice weapon master which gives you the close combat shooting as one of its choices. This saves the dipping into order of the bow just for that. the Prereqs are fairly simple. It also has a few other ranged things like pin or disarm. don't remember off top of my head.

Great bow isn't a big leap in power but its nice to qualify for this class. Ask your GM if you can substitute the 4 ranks in weapon smithing craft for 4 ranks in bowyer fletcher instead. Seems logical and no big deal.

Just a few ideas to stretch out character progression for a while. You need Complete warrior to make it work though.

later

Rackhir

Explorer
If you want an archery character, you can keep taking levels in archery classes pretty much forever.

3.5 ranger makes a good archer base. Mix that with some fighter levels, at least 4 so you get weapon spec.

DWS is the best of the reasonable archery classes. OoBI in 3.5 actually kind of sucks. Since they replaced the sneak attack dice with "Focused" attack dice. IIRC it requires a full round action, which means you are talking about 1 attack +1-5d8 vs your full attack. Which is usually not a good trade. There is another way to get the No-AoO feat, it is available as an exotic weapon master "trick"/ie feat. Peerless Archer is so obscenely powerful, that a DM would have to be nuts to permit it. You get ranged Power attack, NoAoO feat and a 30' threat range along with a bunch of other crunchy stuff.

One caution about going the Great Bow EWM route. It can not be used mounted and mounted archer IS actually the most effective feat chain for archery. Since it permits you to get a full move (your mount's) AND a FULL attack. Shot on the Run by contrast is pretty useless, since none of the enhanced attack abilities function with it. So no matter what you are only getting the single attack. There's been a couple of threads on that recently. I'd look them over carefully. You might want to check to see if your DM will let you burn an exotic weapon feat on your Composite bow. So you can qualify for EWM to get the no AoO feat.

One other possibility to consider is Kensai? from the complete warrior. They get to add a +1 magical ability to their bow each level.

Remove ads