• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help with backstab build

Iscariot

First Post
Starting in a new game soon and the group seems to be up to speed on tanks and casters. I pondered a monk, but with those tanks I would end up being a tag-along. But they have NO rogue types! The nerve! heh

So I want to bring in some stealthy rogue goodness on them. But I would like some help...it's been awhile since i built a character.

Here are the specifics:

32 point build.

Level 13

Can have up to a +2 LA, race or template (the LA will be considered to have been bought off per the optional rules in Unearthed Arcana, so need not be taken into consideration for total level...though any racial HD will still count towards the character level)

55,000 gold for starting equipment. (low-magic world, so DMi is limiting them)

Following books are useable:
Core books
Libris Mortis
Miniatures Handbook
Complete Arcane, Divine, Adventurer, Warrior
Races of the Wild, Races of Stone, Races of Destiny
Draconimicon
Monster Manual II (requires 3.5 updates)
Monster Manual III
Book of Exalted Deeds(except for material that has been superseded by newer versions)
DMG II

What I am looking for is a backstabbing fiend to take advantage of whatever those tanks are keeping busy.

So start showing me your stuff! heh

I had originally thought of a rogue 4, fighter 4 (extra feats and to specialize in the dagger), invisible blade 5...but I know the crew here comes up with some pretty good stuff.

Last edited:

Shellman

First Post
Human Rogue 11 (with the Shadow creature Template = +2 LA from Lords of Madness)

BAB +8/ +3

Fort +3/ Ref +7/ Will +3

You will have these special abilities:
Shadow Blend (grants you concealment from your opponent = 50% miss chance)
There are some other abilities with the template you get based on your number of HD
Sneak Attack +6d6
Evasion
Trapfinding
Trap Sense +3
Improved Uncanny Dodge
Crippling Strike
and get Improved Evasion or Opportunist as soon as you can

Get these feats:
Improved Toughness - for the Rogues Survivability +1 hp per HD
Staggering Strike
TWF
Weapon Finesse
Also consider Deft Strike and Quick Reconnoiter feats to use together

Get a defending weapon for your off hand and a wounding weapon for your primary hand.

At the start of every combat transfer the magic bonus from your off hand to your AC and then Sneak attack with your Wounding weapon in your primary hand.

+10/+5 melee attack, using a +2 Wounding Rapier damage = 7d6 + 2 + 1 Con + 2 Str + Staggered/ per sneak attack.

If you hit with both sneak attacks and do average damage you will do:
53 + 2 Con + 4 Str + potential to stagger the target twice per round.

If you decide to TWF you can add one more sneak attack, and assuming you hit on each attack and your using something like a short sword in your offhand:

Average damage could be 73 + 2 Con + 6 Str + 3 seperate Staggered checks per round.

Last edited:

Demoquin

First Post
I like the Rog 5 Assassin 3 Invisible Blade 5

Sneak attack with a dagger will be 8d6. And a chance for Death Attack. Feints for free and has Aertial Strike? that trades in 1 or 2 d6 of Sneak attack dmg for HP/ Con loss ( i cant remember)

Bryon_Soulweaver

First Post
Rogue here. Shadow dancer there. A little wizardry, especially shadow magic. Add a spiked chain, cold iron. Hmmm, seems to be missing something.... Oh yeah! Two wounding daggers or shortswords made of silver.

*being lazy today*

Whimsical

Explorer
Don't forget to buy a couple of dozen vials of holy water so you have something to do when you encounter undead. You should be good at making ranged touch attacks, right?

And technically nonmagical fire and acid work on golems. So Alchemist Fire and Acid can also be your friends.

Azrael

First Post
If you can squeze in a level of sorcerer and cleric (or something similar) you can gain access to grave strike and golem strike allowing you to sneak attack undead and constructs. I'd go for sorcerer for more uses per day, but I can't bring myself to use the same argument for favoured souls as I just don't like em.

Remove ads