• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

help with build

parinho7

First Post
i am starting a new campaign and i think on making a star elf sorcerer/master of the yuirwood. i was wandering if he the build is better if he take vow of poverty. opinions?

Veven1290

First Post
I dunno what the Master of the Yuirwood but i can tell you that Vow of Poverty is pretty much never worth it unless you are hellbent on the role-playing aspect of it. The benefits pretty much never compensate for the lack of magic items.

Particle_Man

Explorer
Actually it really depends on the campaign. Some DMs are so stingy with magic items that Vow of Poverty becomes worth it. Where is M. of the Yuirwood from and what does it do?

parinho7

First Post
Where is M. of the Yuirwood from and what does it do?

unapproachable east.

This character is dissallowed by the dm because the prestige class requires me to be in the area of yuirwood and his story isn't based on this location.:.-(

i have other builds in my mind now. most appealing are human factotum/chameleon and star elf cleric/contemplative with vop.

opinions?
any other suggestions?
i am very indecisive.

kitcik

Adventurer
I've been wanting to try the human factotum / chameleon. If you do it, give us an update post on what worked / didn't work. Thanks.

Particle_Man

Explorer
I second the factotum/chameleon. It sounds like fun and I think the flexibility would help, especially if you don't know what the other pcs will be. There would be a bit of extra bookkeeping as you could change so much from day to day.

There is one feat called Font of Inspiration that can give you more inspiration points for factotums (it was part of a website by wotc that helped out factotums)

Class Chronicles: Factotums and Spellthieves

Pergentile

Explorer
Does anyone else think of Link from Legend of Zelda when Factotum is mentioned? It might just be me, but that class is perfect for him, if you mix it with a little Warblade/ Eternal Blade... You even get a Navi!

Particle_Man

Explorer
Oh, and the factotum class (all skills are class skills for factotum, so the cross-class cap goes away even in other classes) goes very nicely with able learner feat (spend one for one even on non-class skills, so only the cross-cap remains for other classes) if you multi-class out of factotum.

Alexander123

First Post
unapproachable east.

This character is dissallowed by the dm because the prestige class requires me to be in the area of yuirwood and his story isn't based on this location.:.-(

i have other builds in my mind now. most appealing are human factotum/chameleon and star elf cleric/contemplative with vop.

opinions?
any other suggestions?
i am very indecisive.

I don't know about the Factotum since I don't have the book where that class is found but here's my advice:

I don't take VoP for RP reasons. I like wealth and I don't like my power depending on my poverty. (which is really no power at all, since what is the value of your power if you can't enjoy it? BTW for those who have seen the movie The Affair of the Necklace, Cardinal Rowan comes to mind. If you haven't seen the movie, see it, it's a great movie.)

I don't know much about the star elf since I don't know where they are found.

As far as cleric/contemplative it can be an interesting choice. There are other PrC you might want to look into which can be found here: The 3.5 Cleric Handbook.

A thought comes to mind that playing a corrupt cleric can be very fun RP wise but that is only possible in Eberron since in other campaign settings deities walk the earth and clerics lose their cleric abilities if their alignment strays from that of their deities.

Last edited:

Particle_Man

Explorer
I don't take VoP for RP reasons. I like wealth and I don't like my power depending on my poverty. (which is really no power at all, since what is the value of your power if you can't enjoy it? BTW for those who have seen the movie The Affair of the Necklace, Cardinal Rowan comes to mind. If you haven't seen the movie, see it, it's a great movie.)

Well in D&D, poverty can get you a host of powers, free exalted feats, etc. Presumably the roleplay advantage is a more advantageous afterlife position for that character. Or even, something that just is worthwhile because the character (not the player) thinks it is.

Remove ads