• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help with feats (math needed) Imp. Crit/GTWF/OTWF

Scion said:
It looks like from your graph and table that for all AC's above 19 or so Oversized two weapon fighting is superior.

The reason that the other feats win is because I weighted all ACs equally - thus an AC of 1 counts just as much as an AC of 50, or 25.

Now, there's a bit of a problem there, of course, because there will be some weighting towards the creatures that the PCs spend most of their time fighting - but absent that information, we really can't make any definitive claims.

Given all of that, the reason the other feats win is because, when they're better than OTWF, they're better by a lot (like in the 10+ points range). When OTWF is better, it's better by a little (like in the 1-5 points range).

Apart from that, this analysis will change - perhaps radically - when the OP gets back to us and tells us that his off-hand scimitar is actually a Shocking Burst weapon, etc. :)

Scion

First Post
The number of creatures with AC less than 11 can be counted on a single hand as far as I know, I dont think that there 'are' any creatures with less than 9 unless they are helpless (and even then most will have a higher ac than that).

Also, extremely high ac's are also extremely unlikely. The odd creature here and there might have one, but mostly it wont happen.

So, the equal weighting just doesnt happen. There is roughly a 20 point ac range where oversized twf is better and then about another 10 points where it could be better if the pc has feats to take advantage of the extra points of to hit that they have.

How many creatures have AC's in the high 40's and up range?

Also, the higher your base damage is the better oversized twf is.

Seems to me that the amount of actual situations that are going to come up oversized twf is 'much' better. Your table seems to back this up.

But again, it could be very campaign dependent. If all you ever fight are 'very' low AC creatures or 'extremely' high AC creatures then the choice is different.. ;)

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Scion said:
The number of creatures with AC less than 11 can be counted on a single hand as far as I know, I dont think that there 'are' any creatures with less than 9 unless they are helpless (and even then most will have a higher ac than that).

There are creatures with ACs less than 6... Dex 1 oozes come to mind.

monch9

First Post
Incredible work. Thank you so much for this. For the question on what types of scimitars, they're magical +3 shocking/ +5 with no special criticals. The campaign I'm in is typical wilderness setting with some dungeon crawling. (evil) Outsiders are the favored enemy and campaign has lots of them.

Thanks again for the analysis.

Monch

Last edited:

Diirk

First Post
You do have the requisite 19 or so dex for GTWF, right ? You have a str of 14 at that level, so I'm assuming yes, but that begs the question why not shortswords instead of scimitars, and weapon finesse...

monch9

First Post
Yeah,

Looking back, that would have been a better choice. :heh:

Monch

Diirk said:
You do have the requisite 19 or so dex for GTWF, right ? You have a str of 14 at that level, so I'm assuming yes, but that begs the question why not shortswords instead of scimitars, and weapon finesse...

Remove ads