• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Help with Sorcerer / Warlock build

GaldorTauron

First Post
Hello everyone.
Since I'll be playing D&D 5E for the first time I'd like some help in building my character.

Before going to the doubts I'd like to briefly describe my character.
He is loosely based on Jace Beleren from Magic: The Gathering card game (a telepath with a few water based powers), so the main class will be sorcerer (draconic bloodline focusing on cold spell) but it'll start as a warlock GOO.

For now my character is a Half-elf with the following stats:
STR 10 / DEX 13 (+1 from race) / CON 13 (+1 from race) / INT 12 / WIS 12 / CHA 14 (+2 from race)
I know STR is kind of useless, but I really don't like having penalties, and since spending more 2 point on my main abilities won't be changind the modifier, I thought of leaving this way.
What do you guys think?

I also have some other questions:
1) which spell should I choose between armor of agathys and dissonant whispers? I think both are reasonably good and related to my concept, so I'm not sure which one will be more useful.
2) I've read two warlock guides and both don't advise going up to level 4 with warlock since I'l be losing the only level 9 spell (namely wish), but losing the early ability improvement/feat won't hurt more?
3) I'm thinking of going warlock up to level 3 or 4 before getting sorcerer level 1, do you guys think that getting sorcerer level sooner will be better? Maybe something like WSWWWS+?
4) If I decide going warlock up to 4, should I get elemental adept (cold) feat or improve CHA first?

My DM is only using the basic books and Elemental Evil, so I can't use anything from Unearthed Arcana or Sword Coast Adventures.
Also sorry if I misspelled anything, my english is not very good.

Last edited:

bid

First Post
Sorcerer 1 for Con save.
Warlock 2 for invocations.
Sorcerer X onward.
Delay your 3rd lock until you want to change an invocation.

Elemental adept (cold) is only useful if you meet cold-resistant monsters.

kore

First Post
CON and WIS are both primary save abilities, but CON is important to your ability to maintain concentration when taking damage; WIS is all about preventing frighten and charm conditions. Taking damage is a more ubiquitous threat than frighten/charm, though those are devastating when failed. Consider taking Resilient:Wisdom to mitigate or, if you decide to go warlock first, take Warcaster for advantage on CON saves, it amounts to almost a +5, statistically.

GaldorTauron

First Post
If you focus on concentration spells (hold person, hypnotic pattern), then Con is more important.

If you don't (fireball, eldrich blast spam), then Wis is more important.
That's a good point. I think I won't focus too much on concentration spells, with maybe a few exceptions. Since my group already have a bard and a cleric I believe they are enough for buff/debuff spells (if I'm not wrong most of the concetration spells are related to buff/debuff other chars or self).

CON and WIS are both primary save abilities, but CON is important to your ability to maintain concentration when taking damage; WIS is all about preventing frighten and charm conditions. Taking damage is a more ubiquitous threat than frighten/charm, though those are devastating when failed. Consider taking Resilient:Wisdom to mitigate or, if you decide to go warlock first, take Warcaster for advantage on CON saves, it amounts to almost a +5, statistically.
I liked the Warcaster idea. Although I won't be using shield, the opportunity attacks rule and the advantage on CON saves are really interesting.

bid

First Post
Thank you, bid.

Just one thing, isn't WIS save more important than CON save?
What the others said, but fey ancestry covers fear/charm Wis saves. I prefer Con save for protection from debilitating poison.

Warcaster works well with repelling blast, but I prefer other invocations.

Both choices are ok, it depends on how you roleplay and what weaknesses you wish to have.

EDIT: just to be clear, warcaster only helps for concentration, not for Con saves from poison.

Remove ads