• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help with spellweaver.

borc killer

First Post
My PC will be facing a spellweaver lich (yes that one) for the 3rd time this weekend and I need to get a few question figured out before then.

Last time the wizard in the party cast dispel magic on him so he wants to prepare for that with his limited resources.

For those who do now know a Spellweaver has 6 arms and can cast up to 6 levels of spells with them at the same time. So he can cast 3 first level spells and 1 3rd, or one 6th level spell and higher.

Basiclly what I need to know is can he ready an action to counter a spell with a dispel magic AND cast some extra spells? Can he cast the extra spells first? Example: Spellweaver readies and action to cast 3 magic missiles at anyone that casts a spell, and to dispel any spell the person successfully casts. I think the answer is Yes he can do this.

Can he split that up? Meaning can he ready and action to cast 3 MMs on the first person to try an cast a spell and to counter the first spell that is cast… even if these are not the same person? I am thinking No as this would let him have 2 different initiatives… but it seems like he would be able to do this.

Any other odd things you can think I could do with this type of thing?

Cintra

First Post
I don't think he'd be able to "split up" the effects, but casting a specified set of spells at once with the readied action sounds reasonable to me.

He also has Limited Wish plus the XPs available to use it several times. He can Limited Wish to cast Contingency spell, and place Dispel Magic it in to trigger as a counterspell when someone targets him or the area he is in with Dispel Magic.

However, this won't help him with Greater Dispel Magic. My notes indicate the Harbinger is a 17th level caster, and assuming that's correct (and I didn't advance him), you have one other option. Since it sounds like your Harbinger has already survived at least one encounter with the party, you could let him level up once to be an 18th level caster (or just pretend he always was); then, he'll be high enough level to place Greater Dispel Magic in that same Contingency spell.

When I ran that encounter, I followed some advice from someone on the Paizo boards, and gave the Harbinger some illusion spells and greater invisibility - he stood at one end of the room, an illusion of him stood at the other end with a Wall of Force between it and the PCs, and that resulted in the PCs wasting about two rounds of actions trying to charge the Harbinger (and crashing into the Wall of Force), then dimension-dooring half the party to the other side of the Wall of Force (and thus away from the real, invisible enemy) so he could focus on the half of the party that was left behind. I also gave him some different movement-related spells (dimension door, and False Gravity from the Spell Compendium) so he could make it more of a running battle.

borc killer

First Post
Yea I am changing a few spells but the PCs are already having a hard time so don’t want to go to crazy. Plus they are most likely going to have to face him and the huge worm that is in the lake at the same time…
If they run again after they cast a few dispels he just might use the limited wish that way.

Thanks

Remove ads