• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help with this Wish Wording

Tru3Dispa55ion

First Post
I WISH I forever have unlimited Misty Step Spells, which I have full control over and could never harm nor mutate me, as an alternative option from normal movement, which means they do not expend Spell Slots, Bonus Actions, Actions, but instead they only cost the movement action, and these Misty Step Spells have a maximum range as my movement's maximum range, are cast as if with the Metamagic, Subtle Spell, and can forgo obstruction, such as walls, but, in the event of reappearing in an occupied space or phenomena, albiet by a mountain, a creature, running water, a burning flame, or etc., I am shunted back to my original position.

WHAT do you guys think. Will I get what I want? What should I improve so that it does not backfire.

Kessalin Talira

First Post
Assuming the DM hasn't suffered major head trauma recently, you'll get the standard spell as a spell-like ability, if you're lucky. You'll also have to deal with the consequences of using Wish (5E I'm assuming considering that's where Misty Step comes from) for some greater purpose than duplicating a spell of level 8 or lower:

Fifth Edition PHB said:
The stress of casting this spell to produce any effect other than duplicating another spell weakens you. After enduring that stress, each time you cast a spell until you finish a long rest, you take 1d10 necrotic damage per level of that spell. This damage can’t be reduced or prevented in any way. In addition, your Strength drops to 3, if it isn’t 3 or lower already, for 2d4 days. For each of those days that you spend resting and doing nothing more than light activity, your remaining recovery time decreases by 2 days. Finally, there is a 33 percent chance that you are unable to cast wish ever again if you suffer this stress.
I hope you're not trying this on the fly.

Also, keep this in mind:

Fifth Edition PHB said:
The DM has great latitude in ruling what occurs in such an instance; the greater the wish, the greater the likelihood that something goes wrong. This spell might simply fail, the effect you desire might only be partly achieved, or you might suffer some unforeseen consequence as a result of how you worded the wish.

You're asking for the ability to teleport instead of walking. You're asking for the distance of this teleportation to be based on your normal movement rate instead of any known spell. You're asking to be able to move through walls or other obstructions to a spot you can't see, which is beyond the limits of Misty Step. You're asking to have it affected by metamagic without expending any resources to do so, which is doing more than duplicating a spell.

All things considered, I still think you should consider yourself lucky if you get the regular spell as a SLA. My first reaction if one of my players tried this would be "It doesn't work, enjoy your 3 Strength and you might not want to cast any spells for a while... oh, and roll percentile dice and hope for a 34+." Even getting the regular spell as a SLA will stress you, per the spell.

What should you improve? Wish for something else.

ccs

41st lv DM
I WISH I forever have unlimited Misty Step Spells, which I have full control over and could never harm nor mutate me, as an alternative option from normal movement, which means they do not expend Spell Slots, Bonus Actions, Actions, but instead they only cost the movement action, and these Misty Step Spells have a maximum range as my movement's maximum range, are cast as if with the Metamagic, Subtle Spell, and can forgo obstruction, such as walls, but, in the event of reappearing in an occupied space or phenomena, albiet by a mountain, a creature, running water, a burning flame, or etc., I am shunted back to my original position.

WHAT do you guys think. Will I get what I want? What should I improve so that it does not backfire.

I'm not familiar with your DM. So I can't really judge the odds of your success.....

I CAN tell you the odds if I were the DM: 0%
Because your trying to play legalese word games. That's not how wishes function in my games.
(Something you'd know upon gaining the wish)
So if you handed in (or read me) a 10 line continuous sentace? It'd get rejected and your character would never receive another wish.

N'raac

First Post
How about talking with the DM? As many above have noted, the result goes well beyond the risk-free choices for a Wish spell. If the DM does not want it to work, it is easy for him to cause it to fail, or backfire. If he's open to using the Wish to add a significant ability to a character, then he can allow it.

I wonder if there are any creatures which can use Misty Step at will - changing you into one would be a simple means of achieving the Wish you suggest above. Alternatively, changing some other class feature(s), feat(s), etc. into the desired ability seems like a reasonable result.

It's tough to answer the specific question, as it depends on the specific game and specific GM. This could be standard wish use in one game and unforgivable munchkinry in another.

uraniumrooster

First Post

Too long, too many specifics. I'd make it fail and put you through the Wish fatigue consequences.

how about this:

I wish I can cast Misty Step at will, without expending a spell slot.

Wishing for an at will 2nd-level spell doesn't seem too unreasonable to me. At the level you can first cast wish, a Wizard would only be one level away from getting Spell Mastery, which gives at will 1st & 2nd level slots that can be changed out for other spells as long as you have 8 hours to spare. Misty Step is a pretty strong contender for the 2nd-level Spell Mastery slot, so this Wish frees that up for another option. It's strong, but not game breaking compared to what a 17th level caster can already do.

Of course, like others have said, it's all up to the DM. I second the suggestion that you just ask your DM first to see if it's reasonable.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Here's what I'd do were I DM:

* Poof, you're an Eladrin. :)
* You can now Misty Step instead of moving normally.
* In fact, now you CAN'T move normally. You can only 'pop' from place to place. Falling and other forced movement still work as expected.
* Once per long rest, you can Misty Step through a wall etc without line-of-sight. (Pretty sure 4e had something to this effect).

Remove ads