• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Here we go again: DM, player or both?

Are you a Player or a GM?

• I am a exclusively or almost exclusively a GM.

Votes: 25 18.4%
  • I am a GM mostly but do play occasionally.

Votes: 45 33.1%
  • I GM and play with about the same frequency.

Votes: 44 32.4%
  • I am mostly a Player but occasionally GM

Votes: 13 9.6%
  • I am exclusively or almost exclusively a Player.

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • I am not engaged in active gaming right now, but would GM if I was.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I am not engaged in active gaming right now, but would play if I was.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am a special snowflake.

Votes: 2 1.5%

the Jester

Legend
I am a DM almost exclusively.

I play once in a great while, but run my game typically about every other week (except for this time of year).

catsclaw227

First Post
I am pretty much exclusively a DM, unless I am going to a gameday, or something like that.

For regular F2F campaigns, since I started in 1978, I been DMing about 98% of the time. :)

I'm almost exclusively a GM. I've played 4 sessions as a player in various one-shots over the last 5 years or so of gaming, and the rest of the time have GMed.

Dykstrav

Adventurer
I am pretty much exclusively a DM, unless I am going to a gameday, or something like that.

You're pretty close to my neck of the woods, catsclaw. If you feel like trekking to the northwest corner of Raleigh on Saturday afternoons, you're welcome to play in my Pathfinder game.

Camelot

Adventurer
I am exclusively a GM only because nobody else I know ever wants to GM. Though I'm glad to see that (by the looks of this poll) there are a lot more GMs out there than I thought.

Gilladian

Adventurer
My answer has changed since the last time I answered a poll like this. Right now I'm playing in 2 games, and running 1. So, since one game I play in runs every week, and the other two games alternate, I said I play as much as I DM.

Until the past six months, my answer was that I am almost exclusively the DM. Playing is a great change!

athos

First Post
Minor Rant

This is meant to be a humorous suggestion for those who never GM a game, but play all the time. B-)

[rant]

Ok, I love to play and like to DM, but I end up DMing 80% or more of the time since noone else is willing to step up.

I know players that constantly whine about everything, not just in my games, but in others as well, and I would just like to slap them silly sometimes, since these are usually the slugs that never, ever, ever DM a game. GMs work hard to create balanced encounters that will challenge the party without killing them. We work hard to develop a good storyline for the players to interact with. It is not easy to do this week in and week out. So give your GM a break now and again.

But, still some people refuse to lend a hand and GM occassionally or ever. I don't know where they get the sense of entitlement that there should just magically be DMs out there for them that are meant to cater their games to them, but they do have that sense of entitlement and it drives me crazy.

So for all you deadbeats that never GM, try it !

The worst that can happen is you suck, but at least you will have some emathy for your DM next time and won't whine quite as bad, and will understand better when we tell you no, you can't play your half-celestial ethergaunt in a human dominated world.

[/rant]

So what have we learned: no whining, it makes it hard on the GM, and give the GM a break every now and again and you run a game for him/her.

This has been a message from the Council of Overworked GM's, COG, it in no way reflects the views or opinions of anyone else, any similarities to anyone past or present are purely coincidental. :cool:

catsclaw227

First Post
You're pretty close to my neck of the woods, catsclaw. If you feel like trekking to the northwest corner of Raleigh on Saturday afternoons, you're welcome to play in my Pathfinder game.
Sounds fun! Thanks for the offer.

My time is hyper limited right now, but lets see how things pan out. It would interesting to actually PLAY once in a while. ;)

Boregar

First Post
I picked the top option, although I did have a spell of being purely a player about a year ago which I enjoyed immensely. But somehow, I always end up back behind the screen eventually.

Remove ads