Here's That Hi-Res Sword Coast Map

WotC hit their $100K Extra Life charity funding goal, and have released the high resolution labeled map of the northwest portion of Faerün, from Amn to Icewind Dale, and the Moonshae Isles to the Dalelands. It's pretty enormous - 10,200 by 6,600 pixels! That's 141 x 91 inches. There's a smaller version of it below, but hit the image to jump to the full size giant version. The map was created by Mike Schley.

WotC hit their $100K Extra Life charity funding goal, and have released the high resolution labeled map of the northwest portion of Faerün, from Amn to Icewind Dale, and the Moonshae Isles to the Dalelands. It's pretty enormous - 10,200 by 6,600 pixels! That's 141 x 91 inches. There's a smaller version of it below, but hit the image to jump to the full size giant version. The map was created by Mike Schley.

Sword-Coast-Map_HighRes.jpg
Click on this for the enormous hi-res version​

graves3141

First Post
Pull-out maps were the norm for campaign setting guides, not player's guides. Neither 3e's PGtF nor 4e's FRPG came with a pull-out map. It should come as no surprise that the SCAG - which is a player's guide, not a campaign setting book - doesn't either. I don't get why people think that a lack of a pull-out map is a valid criticism of the book.

Some player's guides did have pull out maps. The Player's Guide to Greyhawk from 1998 was such a product.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Some player's guides did have pull out maps. The Player's Guide to Greyhawk from 1998 was such a product.

So nearly 18 years ago, and three editions ago, one player's guide had one near the end of the life cycle of that edition (and it was an 11" X 16" map by the way), and you think it's reasonable to expect one now?

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnLynch

Explorer
To those saying this is a player's guide and so therefore doesn't need a map. Do you expect a campaign guide to be released for 5th edition, do you expect more regional guides that cover the different areas of the Forgotten Realms or do you expect both? If you expect an FRCG for 5th edition, what will this book actually have that isn't covered by the regional guide(s)?

pukunui

Legend
To those saying this is a player's guide and so therefore doesn't need a map. Do you expect a campaign guide to be released for 5th edition, do you expect more regional guides that cover the different areas of the Forgotten Realms or do you expect both? If you expect an FRCG for 5th edition, what will this book actually have that isn't covered by the regional guide(s)?
To be honest, I'm not really expecting anything in particular. I'm sure we'll get more FR books that aren't just adventures, given WotC's commitment to FR "for the foreseeable future", but I have no idea what form they will take, and I'm not really fussed either way.

Do you know if there were any others? Particularly in more recent times? I know the 3e era Greyhawk Gazetteers came with maps, but I'm not sure those qualify as player's guides. Otherwise, I'm thinking it's a bit of a stretch to say that "some" came with maps when you've only got one example.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hussar

Legend

And, let's not forget, it DOES come with a map. It doesn't come with a poster sized pull out map, but, there's a map, right there in the book.

Now, the map doesn't have a scale and that's pretty bad. Amateur hour crap that I would be pretty peeved about if it was the only thing available. Still think it's pretty bad, but, at least the honking big digital version is free online. Mitigates things a bit, but, still... someone needs to be pelted with dice for that.

Do you know if there were any others? Particularly in more recent times? I know the 3e era Greyhawk Gazetteers came with maps, but I'm not sure those qualify as player's guides. Otherwise, I'm thinking it's a bit of a stretch to say that "some" came with maps when you've only got one example.

The Living Greyhawk Gazetteer is pretty much the campaign setting book for Greyhawk for 3e (which is a bit odd, as it was the "default" setting for the edition) and not so much a player's guide. It's a very much "here are the facts" book, with very little outside the direct description of the setting - it's that rarest of 3e products, one with out any prestige classes!

pukunui

Legend
The Living Greyhawk Gazetteer is pretty much the campaign setting book for Greyhawk for 3e (which is a bit odd, as it was the "default" setting for the edition) and not so much a player's guide. It's a very much "here are the facts" book, with very little outside the direct description of the setting - it's that rarest of 3e products, one with out any prestige classes!
Yeah, I've actually got both it and the piddlier gazetteer that was released around the same time. I quite like 'em for what they are.

Yeah, I've actually got both it and the piddlier gazetteer that was released around the same time. I quite like 'em for what they are.

Other than a fair amount of truly hideous line-drawing art, the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer is actually a very good guide to the setting, in my opinion. They could do a lot worse in emulating it in some ways for a potential 5e FRCS - the descriptions of the various nations are great, it just needs more detailed description of individual cities and points of interest...

Remove ads

Remove ads