Here's That Hi-Res Sword Coast Map

WotC hit their $100K Extra Life charity funding goal, and have released the high resolution labeled map of the northwest portion of Faerün, from Amn to Icewind Dale, and the Moonshae Isles to the Dalelands. It's pretty enormous - 10,200 by 6,600 pixels! That's 141 x 91 inches. There's a smaller version of it below, but hit the image to jump to the full size giant version. The map was created by Mike Schley.

WotC hit their $100K Extra Life charity funding goal, and have released the high resolution labeled map of the northwest portion of Faerün, from Amn to Icewind Dale, and the Moonshae Isles to the Dalelands. It's pretty enormous - 10,200 by 6,600 pixels! That's 141 x 91 inches. There's a smaller version of it below, but hit the image to jump to the full size giant version. The map was created by Mike Schley.

Sword-Coast-Map_HighRes.jpg
Click on this for the enormous hi-res version​

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
Just a heads up. The tiled PDF version of the map that's on my site for $10 is twice the size of this one so don't fret if you bought it from me.

P.S. The children's charity that this is a stretch goal for is wonderful and I'm super pleased to be a part of the fundraising campaign. :)

Thanks for the response, Mike. Still considering buying a larger version to print or a order-of print version. I like my maps. :)

aramis erak

Legend
To those saying this is a player's guide and so therefore doesn't need a map. Do you expect a campaign guide to be released for 5th edition, do you expect more regional guides that cover the different areas of the Forgotten Realms or do you expect both? If you expect an FRCG for 5th edition, what will this book actually have that isn't covered by the regional guide(s)?

I expect one in about 1-2 years...

and I fully expect it will be the "Sword Coast DM's Companion", not the Forgotten Realms nor Faerûn - just Sword Coast.

What it will likely have is better maps, objective text, FR specific magic items, and a reprint of the major named NPCs who are still alive in the current era.

I expect it will add some more races - Driders, the "uncommon elves", several more subraces for the main races, several unsuitable for general use subclasses, and even more backgrounds. And mass combat rules. Maybe even landholding rules.

JohnLynch

Explorer
I expect one in about 1-2 years... it will likely have....objective text
I wouldn't be so sure. 3rd edition was the first edition that put a heavy emphasis on "here are the facts." Up until then unreliable narrators had been used and I personally think such devices work well with 5th edition's "ruling not rules" philosophy.

FR specific magic items
If a DM's Companion as you describe get's printed this is a definite shoe-in. Athough again, a lot of magic items from earlier editions can be used with very little modification.

a reprint of the major named NPCs who are still alive in the current era.
4th edition was designed to get rid of the heavy emphasis of 3e's "major named NPCs" introduced into the Forgotten Realmsian culture (at least in how the FRCS presented the campaign setting). I doubt very much WotC will go back to what was an unpopular part of the campaign setting and instead provide plot-devices that allow groups and book authors to bring back NPCs if they so desire.

I expect it will add some more races - Driders, the "uncommon elves", several more subraces for the main races, several unsuitable for general use subclasses
I would be surprised if any of that was actually included. I think you've got a better chance of named NPCs and monsters being introduced via a monster manual type book.

even more backgrounds.
Given the quality of backgrounds introduced in the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide I doubt we will see this in a DM resource.

And mass combat rules. Maybe even landholding rules.
I could definitely see them producing a book with this.

So for a Sword Coast Companion I could foresee some adventure sites being included, magic items, maybe some monsters and NPCs (doubtful though) and mass combat rules and potentially landholding rules. That just doesn't seem like enough to base a book around though. I expect we'll see those rules split across multiple adventures and/or player's guides. Rather than introduce mass combat rules in a sourcebook, I could see them being introduced as part of an adventure. Same with magic items, monsters, NPCs, etc. I just don't foresee there being enough material for them to create a campaign guide that couldn't be repackaged in OTHER books and thus result in more sales for WotC (I have no interest in their adventures, I might buy one if only to get the mass combat rules though).

Thymm

Villager
Damn...where can I get such a map printed...?
(I already bought adventure specific maps, but this one would be really cool to have hanging in a gaming room...)

aramis erak

Legend
Damn...where can I get such a map printed...?
(I already bought adventure specific maps, but this one would be really cool to have hanging in a gaming room...)

Your local full-service copy shop (locally, includes the FedEx stores) usually has a large format printer. FedEx quotes $7.25 per square foot. so 2'x4' would be $58.

You can even get it printed on stuff other than paper - FedEx will print onto aluminum, canvas, or vinyl...

aramis erak

Legend
I wouldn't be so sure. 3rd edition was the first edition that put a heavy emphasis on "here are the facts." Up until then unreliable narrators had been used and I personally think such devices work well with 5th edition's "ruling not rules" philosophy.

If a DM's Companion as you describe get's printed this is a definite shoe-in. Athough again, a lot of magic items from earlier editions can be used with very little modification.

4th edition was designed to get rid of the heavy emphasis of 3e's "major named NPCs" introduced into the Forgotten Realmsian culture (at least in how the FRCS presented the campaign setting). I doubt very much WotC will go back to what was an unpopular part of the campaign setting and instead provide plot-devices that allow groups and book authors to bring back NPCs if they so desire.

I would be surprised if any of that was actually included. I think you've got a better chance of named NPCs and monsters being introduced via a monster manual type book.

Given the quality of backgrounds introduced in the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide I doubt we will see this in a DM resource.

I could definitely see them producing a book with this.

So for a Sword Coast Companion I could foresee some adventure sites being included, magic items, maybe some monsters and NPCs (doubtful though) and mass combat rules and potentially landholding rules. That just doesn't seem like enough to base a book around though. I expect we'll see those rules split across multiple adventures and/or player's guides. Rather than introduce mass combat rules in a sourcebook, I could see them being introduced as part of an adventure. Same with magic items, monsters, NPCs, etc. I just don't foresee there being enough material for them to create a campaign guide that couldn't be repackaged in OTHER books and thus result in more sales for WotC (I have no interest in their adventures, I might buy one if only to get the mass combat rules though).
See, here's the thing. I expect the DM's guide to include a bunch of player stuff so that the players will likely also buy it. Those extra races I expect to not be in as monster blocks; I expect them to be presented as playable race options, just as the DMG has a couple options that the DM can allow, but which, because they're in the DMG, don't wind up as D&D AL PC options. Like the Assimar, the Cleric of Death, and the Oathbreaker Paladin.

I expect more factual approach - objective material - still not in great detail, but definitely more about the numbers.

It's literally a perfect follow on approach to the SCAG. It can leave out all the material in the SCAG, and focus on the political units, the environmental data by region, possibly even typical encounter tables. It can be objective material without being exclusive nor explicit. It can also add secret societies, and other such useful to the DM for ideas stuff.

pukunui

Legend
... and focus on the political units, the environmental data by region, possibly even typical encounter tables.
I must admit. One thing that irks me a little about 5e is the fact that they're not giving us the basic facts about all the various towns and cities. No population numbers or demographic breakdowns. You know, like in 3e you used to get this little town statblock, for lack of a better term, that had population, what percentage of that population was of what race, who the leaders were, what its gold piece limit was, and so on. They haven't been giving us any of that this edition.

Benjammin

First Post
Hi all,

I have been a lurker on Enworld for years, and finally decided that this topic was where I would make my posting debut.

I just found out about this map last night from a gaming buddy. I downloaded the free version earlier today and purchased the for sale version as well. I have been a fan of Mr. Schley’s work for years, and this map is no exception. I love it: the richness of color, the textures used for different terrains, and the sheer size of it. I am already in discussions with my local printer to have it printed out in all its full-sized glory! Now, if only the rest of Toril (including Maztica, Zakhara and Kara Tur) could be mapped out in this detail! Psst, Mr. Schley, if you make it, I will buy it!

I am confused that this supposed to be a 5E map, when it is clearly a 3E map with a few 5E names thrown in. I mean absolutely no disrespect to the artist, for I am certain this map required numerous hours of labor to produce. Please permit me the time to explain my position in further detail by comparing 3.5E, 4E and SCAG maps.

And for legal purposes, please let me say that all the details used below are from maps made publicly available either by the artist, Wizards of the Coast, or the Forgotten Realms wiki. I am using the free version of the SCAG map downloadable at the beginning of this thread.

Wood of Sharp Teeth
In 3.5E, the two forests are quite separate:
View attachment 72075

In the 4E map, The Wood of Sharp Teeth is renamed Werewoods (due to lots of lycanthropes). It has grown significantly due to the presence of werewolves therein preventing logging. The woods have connected with the Snakewood to the southeast. The Snakewood has also grow immensely. It took 104 years (3.5E official year 1375 DR to 4E official year 1479 DR) for these changes to occur:
View attachment 72076

In SCAG, they are separated again after just 10 years (5E official year 1489 DR):
View attachment 72077

That’s a LOT of logging to take place in 10 years, especially given that society is still just recovering from the 100 years of turmoil after The Spellplague.

Farsea Swamp
In 3.5E, as in all prior editions, the Farsea Marshes and Marsh of Tun are quite distinct entities:
View attachment 72078

In 4E, they are combined:
View attachment 72079

Per 4E FRCG entry on the Farsea Swamp,“This slowly growing mire consists of two formerly separate marshes, Farsea and Tun.”

In SCAG, they are back separated:
View attachment 72080

Land’s Mouth
In 4E, the stresses put onto Toril by the appearance of Abeir caused large regions of the Underdark to collapse, creating massive sinkholes on the surface. One such is Land’s Mouth just south of Priapurl, which is part of Cormyr in 4E:
View attachment 72081

And here is a map portion taken from Mr. Schley’s excellent map for Kingdom of Cormyr 1479 article in Dragon magazine #365:
View attachment 72082

And yet in SCAG it is completely gone:
View attachment 72083

Now I admit that in The Sundering series the Underchasm is filled in – but that is a completely different area of the world. And it filled in because Grumbar’s temple was there and Grumbar was bound there by Sune’s gift to thwart Shaar. I read the books, and I didn’t get any implications that all such sinkholes were filled in.

Anauroch / Netheril
In 3.5E, the Anauroch is a desert with glaciers in the north and a lake underneath the City of Shade:
View attachment 72084

In 4E, the Shadovar have melted the High Ice, causing major climatic upheavals. They did this to turn the desert back into fertile land (reminiscent of the Dune books by Frank Herbert). This also created Highmelt Lake and an unnamed lake to the west (which I would call the New Narrow Sea or Sea of Ascore):
View attachment 72085

Also note the presence of the Deep Maw, another region where the Underdark collapsed into a giant sinkhole.

But in SCAG, the High Ice is back and the lakes are gone, as is the Deep Maw:
View attachment 72086

I can’t imagine that all those glaciers suddenly reformed now that The City of Shade fell out of the skies.

So given these discrepancies, I have to say that the beautiful, wonderful and inspiring SCAG map is a 3E map that is being paraded as a 5E map.

Remove ads

Remove ads