• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Here's the Abyssal Sibriex From Mordenkainen's Tome

This....thing...is....AWESOME!

dave2008

Legend
The hit points are fine for a CR18 monster, but not for a Legendary one. It won't live long enough to use its legendary actions, so why bother?

There is no difference in hit points for CR 18 monster and a CR 18 legendary monster. Legendary status does not = more HP.

I have to say that while I love what we're seeing, I really hope there's a second page to this guy. Partly because I'm hoping for lair actions, but mostly because I want more than an abbreviated paragraph of lore. I appreciate the fact that the monsters to date have had a substantial amount of flavor and background, and while I recognize that legendary creatures require more stat block space, I'd still hate to see backsliding on that front.

(Although if it's done like demons in the MM, with a bunch of lore for all types and then the stat blocks, that'd be fine, too.)

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
Should be fun to run, nice options to keep the players off balance and challenged. Players aren't going to know it's powers going in unless they've read the book.

I have to say that while I love what we're seeing, I really hope there's a second page to this guy. Partly because I'm hoping for lair actions, but mostly because I want more than an abbreviated paragraph of lore. I appreciate the fact that the monsters to date have had a substantial amount of flavor and background, and while I recognize that legendary creatures require more stat block space, I'd still hate to see backsliding on that front.

(Although if it's done like demons in the MM, with a bunch of lore for all types and then the stat blocks, that'd be fine, too.)

Remember, we are getting a whole chapter of devil and demon lore at the start. If it's anything like Volo's, they'll cover a lot of ground there which will free up more room in the Bestiary section for the actual stat blocks.

Shouldn't it have got the "obyrith" monster subtype? The obyriths are the perfect lovecraftian antagonists for the players who want to be the bad guys. How can you enjoy your power over the rest if your enemies want to destroy your dominions? Who would be so crazy to support the obyriths? The doomed suffering souls suffering from the infernal planes who would wish destroy all creation.

dave2008

Legend
Shouldn't it have got the "obyrith" monster subtype? The obyriths are the perfect lovecraftian antagonists for the players who want to be the bad guys. How can you enjoy your power over the rest if your enemies want to destroy your dominions? Who would be so crazy to support the obyriths? The doomed suffering souls suffering from the infernal planes who would wish destroy all creation.

Are Obyriths a thing in 5e? Personally I wouldn't mind if they got dropped (along with Tanar-ri and Baatezu)

Dausuul

Legend
Are Obyriths a thing in 5e? Personally I wouldn't mind if they got dropped (along with Tanar-ri and Baatezu)
I don't mind if they drop the name "obyrith," but it'd be a real shame to lose the concept: An elder race of demons whose presence warps reality, and the sight of them is enough to drive you mad. I've always thought obyriths were vastly superior to the Far Realm as a way to integrate Lovecraftian horror into the D&D mythos. The Far Realm always felt bolted-on, whereas obyriths fit right in with the Great Wheel cosmology and the insanity of the Abyss.

Rossbert

Explorer
I don't mind if they drop the name "obyrith," but it'd be a real shame to lose the concept: An elder race of demons whose presence warps reality, and the sight of them is enough to drive you mad. I've always thought obyriths were vastly superior to the Far Realm as a way to integrate Lovecraftian horror into the D&D mythos. The Far Realm always felt bolted-on, whereas obyriths fit right in with the Great Wheel cosmology and the insanity of the Abyss.

In my mind that is a bit of the point of the Far Realm. It isn't really supposed to integrate. The multiverse exists and is all of everything, the Far Realm is something that exists outside reality and doesn't work the way reality should.

It is a bit like the outsiders in the Dresden Files. Demons and Sidhe are alien and unknowable, but at least they come from this reality, they are immensely powerful and possess abilities unlike anything humanity has, but they have to play by the rules. When stuff leaks in from Beyond the Outer Gates (or the Far Realm) stuff gets serious and you get weird alliances to stop whatever reality warping/destroying thing they are doing so you can get back to your normal Blood War.

One of the characteristics of intelligent monsters is they have lots of minions to fight for them.

Going up against a party of adventurers solo is pretty much the definition of low intelligence.

Unless those minions can take a hit for it, this thing will still be vaporized in the first round. It's one of the flaws of 5E monster design. Nothing can stand up to focus fire to use as a solo or big boss. Basically anything that is intended to last more than a round or be remotely memorable needs about 50hp per party level.

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Remove ads