D&D (2024) Here's The New 2024 Player's Handbook Wizard Art

WotC says art is not final.

Status
Not open for further replies.
GJStLauacAIRfOl.jpeg

Zardnaar

Legend
I posted in the AI thread here: D&D General - DALL·E 3 does amazing D&D art

Here is a screenshot of the results. I even kept the glasses, but tried to make them obviously magical, so any light in the eyes is due to the glasses. I tried to add some context to each. The later ones I removed the classes. And FYI, the one with the pointy hat as something I didn't even ask for LOL! Also, I never prompted anything as far as her body type goes, so we have some that are more robust and some that are less so.

View attachment 356796

I think this one might be my favorite one, but I like quite a few of them:
View attachment 356797
She looks sort of "ageless" to me. Like she might be younger or older, it is hard to tell. The setting, robes, colors, style feel more like wizard to me than sorcerer or warlock. The "spellbook", wand, and "controlled" spell effect also seem more like wizrd.

I think this image shows intelligence, wonder, elegance, gracefulness, control, and powerful potential. The use of lighting and shadows adds to the effect of mystery.

If it lacks anything particular to me, it is a "gritty factor" and borders on too clean.

I like that one better. Less action hero more restrained.

More wizardry as well. Current one is good enough but you could probably use it for Sorcerer maybe warlock or a domain as well. Generic spelllcaster.

To clean us just the modern CGI look of digital art. It's nor AI or human specific imho.

ezo

I cast invisibility
A lot of the ones from your dump pic look bad to me, they might look better enlarged, but many of them are poorly laid out.

The one you picked as a favorite is fine though. She looks like a student to me, giving the image a sense of curiosity and discovery. That wand looks like it is growing out of her hand though, limitations of AI art. The issue with her face might be an AI art thing too, she looks... bored? Apathetic? It is just such an incredibly neutral facial expression, it kind of drains any potential energy from the picture. All of the energy of the entire picture is caught up in that swirl of magic, and nowhere else. But the library does give a sense of wizard and scholar to her.
If you have time you should check out the link to see the fullsize images and not just the "group shot". :)

Thanks. It isn't precisely right, but I made all of those in less than 30 minutes, so I didn't put a ton of thought into the prompt, just enough to get some decent results. I thought her facial expression looked more curious or focused, but it is sort of neutral, so I get your idea.

The focus of the magic is in her hand, but that is my preference compared to the more "showy" magic in the 2024 image.

Honestly like these more...
Thanks. :)

I like that one better. Less action hero more restrained.

More wizardry as well. Current one is good enough but you could probably use it for Sorcerer maybe warlock or a domain as well. Generic spelllcaster.

To clean us just the modern CGI look of digital art. It's nor AI or human specific imho.
I could probably get more away from the generic if I actually spent some time on it. ;)

Zardnaar

Legend
If you have time you should check out the link to see the fullsize images and not just the "group shot". :)

Thanks. It isn't precisely right, but I made all of those in less than 30 minutes, so I didn't put a ton of thought into the prompt, just enough to get some decent results. I thought her facial expression looked more curious or focused, but it is sort of neutral, so I get your idea.

The focus of the magic is in her hand, but that is my preference compared to the more "showy" magic in the 2024 image.

Thanks. :)

I could probably get more away from the generic if I actually spent some time on it. ;)

No the WotC one is more generic. The spellbook for example is bottom left and not very prominent.

One you highlighted was the best of the bunch.

Reactions: ezo

Hussar

Legend
I posted in the AI thread here: D&D General - DALL·E 3 does amazing D&D art

Here is a screenshot of the results. I even kept the glasses, but tried to make them obviously magical, so any light in the eyes is due to the glasses. I tried to add some context to each. The later ones I removed the classes. And FYI, the one with the pointy hat as something I didn't even ask for LOL! Also, I never prompted anything as far as her body type goes, so we have some that are more robust and some that are less so.

View attachment 356796
Ooh, I do like numbers 1-3. Then again, I prefer character shots with context. Having backgrounds is better IMO.

Note, before any misunderstanding - I get that these are very rough and would never, ever pass muster to get into a WotC book. Obviously there's a LOT to be said for using a real, live artist. I was mostly just referring to the general idea of the picture.

Funnily enough, you'll notice a number of the "superhero" poses in those pictures as well. :D It really is just a power pose.

Zardnaar

Legend
How much time does a typical PC wizard, in play, spend in libraries looking scholarly? Compared to the amount of time they spend doing action hero stuff?

I think there's a case to be made that the art should reflect the game play.

Problem is how do you dedict a wizard in game?

Big difference is the spellbook.

Generic spellcaster vs D&D wizard. Espicially with Sorcerers and Tomelocks.

Last edited:

ezo

I cast invisibility
I think there's a case to be made that the art should reflect the game play.
Then you should look at the first few images (via the link) where I was actually trying to reflect that at least somewhat. Those were the ones @Hussar liked:
Ooh, I do like numbers 1-3. Then again, I prefer character shots with context. Having backgrounds is better IMO.

Thanks. I'm glad they appeal to you! :) FWIW, they uploaded in reverse-order, so those were the last few I did in this little experiment.

Note, before any misunderstanding - I get that these are very rough and would never, ever pass muster to get into a WotC book. Obviously there's a LOT to be said for using a real, live artist. I was mostly just referring to the general idea of the picture.
No problem. It wasn't what I was going for. ;)

Frankly, I think this represents one of the best uses for AI in generating the "concept" of the art, at which point an actual artist could create the final product.

Funnily enough, you'll notice a number of the "superhero" poses in those pictures as well. :D It really is just a power pose.
The only one I see that in is #2. I mean you could shift her position a foot above ground and BAM you go from a pose of "defiance" to super-hero instantly LOL!

There is no reason to argue about the glasses or the color or sharp cleanliness of the clothes, or almost anything, for that matter. The art piece in question is not inappropriate in any way.

D&D isn't the muddy middle ages of Earth. There is magic in D&D, wielded by magic-wielding species and cultures who love crafting beautiful and functional things. Dwarves, Gnomes, and Elves, represented in the core races alone, are celebrated for their fine craftsmanship.

Beautiful, elaborate spectacles, staves/canes, robes, armor, and other clothes are just fine, whether for a PC's practical use (spectacles for poor vision, or a staff/cane to support a limp), as fashionable or representative design (using metal and gems and materials other than cloth and thread in a robe to represent status), or as magic items (is she wearing a Good Robe of the Archmagi?) All of these things are representative of something that can appear in many D&D worlds.

I just assume the artist designs each object in such a way that it makes sense for the character subject within the art, and it applies to the specific type of D&D world in the multiverse that it works in. The Wizard art being discussed might not be the right one for Dark Sun or Harn, but it would work in Eberron or Exandria or in my home campaign setting. I love it.

We should use our imagination to determine what the art piece can mean, rather than bag on it just because the artist in question didn't make it to our personal preferences. There are lots of fans with varied tastes to cater to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Remove ads