• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Here's The New 2024 Player's Handbook Wizard Art

WotC says art is not final.

Status
Not open for further replies.
GJStLauacAIRfOl.jpeg

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Cool. And I'm fine if other people like it for whatever reasons. For the reasons I've agreed with others, and stated for myself, I don't. But people seem to take offense to my disliking it for those reasons, so apparently aren't fine with it.

People (including myself) share their reasons with others often because otherwise other people might question why we don't like it. People project issues they have with others on others still.
The thing is, the reasons you give for disliking it don’t really hold up. There’s a double-standard involved where magic has to be both flexible and rigid in order for these stated reasons to follow logically. That’s what people are disagreeing with you about, not the simple fact that you don’t like it. Had you merely said “It’s not to my taste,” or “I don’t like it for some reason” or something like that, I think you’d be getting less pushback than you are now. Which is why I described the tendency to want to rationalize our likes and dislikes as “unhelpful.”

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
"Those people"? Who are "those people"? Please stop trying to pigeon-hole me in a group I don't belong to.
The people that commonly complain about people with disabilities being present in fantasy worlds. If you’re not one of them, fine, your arguments are just pretty similar.
Your choice as far as the spell goes. The ability to cure blindless and restore vision is very much a magical thing to me. Helping someone with a vision impairment would be even easier as they can already see to some extent. Since the spell removes the blinded condition, it implies it very much IMO. You don't want to allow it to help people in your games? Your choice.
I allow the spell to help people, but lesser restoration is clearly intended to remedy more minor, temporary effects, like a Blindness/Deafness spell, Hold Person, or poison. Restoring permanent disabilities is more of a Regeneration/powerful resurrection ability. Plus, Wizards can’t cast Lesser Restoration, so even if she could be cured by that spell, who’s to say that her “party” (if she has one) has a member that can cast the spell?

Glasses are just a really, really weird thing to criticize.

Oofta

Legend
Except that isn't what I said, so please stop insinuating that it was. Thank you.
You said they were similar enough that a spell that cures blindness would also give people improved vision. I'm not insinuating anything, just restating it and letting you know what people will interpret it as. Whether or not it should work, people in fantasy settings wearing glasses is quite common in imagery. Wearing glasses that allow you to see better isn't something the really needs to be fixed. Unless of course, you need a new prescription.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
When one gives a logical reason for one’s like or dislike of something, one gives other people something to refute. “Aha!” they can say, “your opinion is invalid, because it’s based on a flawed premise, as I will now demonstrate.” Whereas if one had simply said they liked it or disliked it, without trying to justify that preference, there would have been nothing to argue about. We like what we like, mostly because of emotional reactions that have no real basis in logical reasoning.

Zehnseiter

Adventurer
No pointy hat, not a wizard. I don't make the rules.
There are some pointy shoulder pats instead..... ;)

They kind of look ridiculous. Given that is a picture of a 5E wizard they actually should be somewhat more conservative with the magical stuff. Thanks to Concentration they can't have too much magical stuff at the same time going. Imho the picture feels bland. Not bad but also nothing special about it.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Remove ads